Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up my introduction to Serge Lutens perfumes

hey everyone, my name is Alex and i just had to write about my experience in being introduced to Serge Lutens perfumes.

It started when i was in the new Barney's new york store in dallas 2 weeks ago, it was the frist time i had been in a Barney's so i wasn't sure what to expect. i have to say i have never been a fragrance wearer until now. so anyways i was walking threw the store and headed down the stairs to the main level and and as i looked around i saw all these bottles on the wall with a colorful display behind them, it intriqued me so i went over to look at it. as i approched the counter a young lady and gentleman greeted me and asked how i was doing, i said i was here for the first time and just checking things out. so they talked a little about the wall, and asked me if i had a favorite fragrance. well i told them that i have actually never worn fragrances before, maybe aftershave with a scent in it but that was about it.
    they proceded to ask if i had ever heard of Serge Lutens perfumes, which i had not. so they started telling me about who he is, what he has done in his life etc. then they( Bryce and Niki) start showing me some of his fragrances, they are very interesting fragrances i have to say. so anyways they started to mix a couple of fragrances ( because you can mix them) and they were amazing. first the gentleman his name is Bryce did this combination on me mixing Cedre and Douce Amere, i wasn't sure at first but my mind changed as it dried down. then he did another combination mixing Fumerie Turque and Diam blond. i asked him do you always blend the fragrances? and he said yes i always look for great combinations and it seems that mixing these fragrances gives such a unique experience in scent that i never just show a single fragrance, they are great alone but when you mix them you really get something unique to yourself. So we went on trying other fragrances and he ended up mixing Clair de Musc and Gris Clair, amazing! after wearing these fragrances for about 30 mins or so we smelled how they had changed and worked with my skin and i was in shock, i liked all of the combinations they had done. by that time i was totally into these fragrances, scents i had never experienced in these ways before. they are so different from anything i have smelled before i ended up buying all 6 fragrances, they gave me a few other samples, Chypre Rouge to mix with my Fumerie Turque, Ambre Sultan to mix with Chergui (im loving that one) and Arabie to mix with Amber Sultan.

they even wrote it out for me so i wouldnt forget what to mix with what. they were fantastic! not only that, now when i go to work i am getting compliments from people and freinds who have known me for a long time and they are shocked i am even wearing fragrances, i told them go see Bryce and Niki at the Serge Lutens fragrance counter at Barneys/dallas, very knowledgeable. i also have to say these fragrances stay on, some i still smell the next day.

i'll be paying Bryce and Niki a visit next week i think i am going to get Chypre Rouge, Ambre Sultan, Chergui and Arabie. i will keep you posted on my next trip to the serge counter.

Alex

Default Re: my introduction to Serge Lutens perfumes

so what's a bottle go for there in Dallas Serge? up here in the frozen north they raised prices at aedes last week. And welcome to basenotes, nice to meet you.

breathe deep soon 4 stars ... sorry talkin to myself

from never wearing frags to buying 4 lutens all in one brief dept store visit?
    weird.

Welcome to Bnotes. You'll find no scarcity of Lutens-love around these parts, that's for sure.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

yea 4 bottles. I see bright careers ahead for Bryce and Niki. Which one's the guy? these sound like strippers names

I ve been buying Lutens scents since 1996...Paris...New York (Barneys, Aedes, Salons Shiseido...), I NEVER NEVER encountered a seller blending scents like that!!

although I m happy the blendings work for you I must be honnest here and admit I m shocked you had to be introduced the Serge Lutens line by someone so immature, unprofessional and unexperienced!
    Last edited by Bois et Musc; 12th February 2007 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bois et Musc
    although I m happy the blendings work for you I must be honnest here and admit I m shocked you had to be introduced the Serge Lutens line by someone so immature, unprofessional and unexperienced!
    I'm not sure if I'm just missing something in translation, but do you always have to be so abrasive? Couldn't you just say, "I'm surprised as I've never heard of mixing Lutens fragrances. I didn't know that Sales Associates were being encouraged to do that!" Then, you make your point and you don't come accross as completely insulting the original poster.

How do you know that the SAs are "immature, unprofessional, and unexperienced?" based on something you admit you've NEVER even encountered???? Sort of like on the Creed thread where you said another member "knew nothing about Creed fragrances" and then admitted yourself you didn't even like the line.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 12th February 2007 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    I'm not sure if I'm just missing something in translation, but do you always have to be so abrasive? Couldn't you just say, "I'm surprised as I've never heard of mixing Lutens fragrances. \
    NO I CAN T! (nothign was lost in translation don t worry I speak 5 languages, do you??)
    I m not hypocrytical, I m a raised parisian that s how I express myself, sorry not be fake and politically mellow correct enough for you!!! have you ever been to Paris and New York??? LOL

anyways I really feel bad someone had to be introduced to the Lutens line this way, it s outrageous! I m sure the Lutens people would be horrified would they find out about it.
    I even feel like calling the Dallas store, again here in New York I never saw something like that, never!!!!!

NO I CAN T! (nothign was lost in translation don t worry I speak 5 languages, do you??)
    I m not hypocrytical, I m a raised parisian that s how I express myself, sorry not be fake and politically mellow correct enough for you!!! have you ever been to Paris and New York??? LOL

anyways I really feel bad someone had to be introduced to the Lutens line this way, it s outrageous! I m sure the Lutens people would be horrified would they find out about it.
    I even feel like calling the Dallas store, again here in New York I never saw something like that, never!!!!!
    ...good lord, this post speaks for itself, but I'll only add:

In general, I always thought this is a community where we want to have good discussions like adults. Badgering and abusing your way through like an eight year old having a tantrum in order to make a point is hardly a way to endear yourself or drive home the fact that you are both well-travelled and well-spoken.

Anyway, no more interupting Alex's thread for me...
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 12th February 2007 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    so what's a bottle go for there in Dallas Serge? up here in the frozen north they raised prices at aedes last week. And welcome to basenotes, nice to meet you.

breathe deep soon 4 stars ... sorry talkin to myself
    Yea I just noticed that - they raised Serge Lutens prices by $8 for 1.7Oz bottles. Its still somewhat of a bargain compared to Creed Fleurissimo, 1oz., $98 !!
    -

...good lord, this post speaks for itself.

do you realise how obnoxious you are? you ask me to rephrase in very politically correct way whatI had to say ??

uh LOL this is really really a sad world of fake prudes we live in!!
    --------------------------------------
    ...good lord, this post speaks for itself, but I'll only add:

In general, I always thought this is a community where we want to have good discussions like adults. Badgering and abusing your way through like an eight year old having a tantrum in order to make a point is hardly a way to endear yourself or drive home the fact that you are both well-travelled and well-spoken.

abusing?? what???? uh! lol you make it sound like I killed someone here, are you aware of that??? where you guys are from??? I really want to know.

I m shocked this great guy had to be introduced Lutens like that, where s the abuse in here??? YOU ARE ABUSING! I m sorry not to be pompous like you are, I m a parisian New Yorker, it s the devil wears Prada meets Joan Rivers mentality here, no time for prudish talk here!
    Last edited by Bois et Musc; 12th February 2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

shame that for all the languages you speak you haven't learned yet the value of charm

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy
    shame that for all the languages you speak you haven't learned yet the value of charm

uh what! i didnt do anything other than expressing how shocked I was things were like that at the Dallas Barneys and I m attacked in the first place for that/????

this is outrageous.

and the "language"??? I said I was shocked! thats it. I NEVER CURSE! DO I???? you guys are not real are you ??? please tell me it 's a horrible joke, you re not for real LOL

i ve never met "MEN" (LOL) so prudish in my life! obviously a lot of you guys here have certain issues...I won 't say more but I have an idea about it.

-------

Going back to the discussion, the people at Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido, knowing how "purist" they are would be horrified to learn something like that, I m sure the guys at Aedes would be too, they re very professional and qualified, would never sell you anything playing with perfumes this way.
    Last edited by Bois et Musc; 12th February 2007 at 07:03 PM.

uh what! i didnt do anything other than expressing how shocked I was things were like that at the Dallas Barneys and I m attacked in the first place for that/????

this is outrageous.

and the "language" - I said I was shocked! thats it. I NEVER CURSE! DO I????
    i ve never met "MEN" (LOL) so prudish in my life! obviously a lot of you guys here have certain issues...I won 't say more but I have an idea about it
    Free bottle of anything in my wardrobe to the first Mod who sends this little kitty back to the pound.

Free bottle of anything in my wardrobe to the first Mod who sends this little kitty back to the pound.

have a life!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Yea I just noticed that - they raised Serge Lutens prices by $8 for 1.7Oz bottles. Its still somewhat of a bargain compared to Creed Fleurissimo, 1oz., $98 !!
    $10.00 more for the three more concentrated scents.

$10.00 more for the three more concentrated scents.

Lutens are still $92 at Aedes boutique. The editions de parfums by Frederic Malles have been raised too I think...

Lutens are still $92 at Aedes boutique. The editions de parfums by Frederic Malles have been raised too I think...
    They are $100 at aedes.com

http://www.aedes.com/product.php?product_id=1262
    -

I think Bois et Musc is right to be outraged. Rather than let the guy try all the scents he wanted to and then sell one of them, Bryce and Niki put on a show with dimmed light more and more action, kinda of carnivalesque. He leaves with 4 bottles and promises to come back for more. Maybe he's oil rich and can afford to buy Barney's. Doesn't matter. The presentation was the more you buy the more combinations you have. And anyone who's played straight pool knows how hard it is to make a combination.

Gary - 1 language - 1 testicle - whole lotta love - and a '57 Cherry sunburst Gibson Les Paul with the original paperwork, never played under the bed. The kind Jimmy Page plays only better. - I don't mean I never played it under the bed. I mean it's unplayed and none of you damned business where it is.

of course the name and post rate are like loaded dice. sergeluten4me 4 me - 1 post 4 us
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 12th February 2007 at 07:26 PM.

thanks! I didn t realise that, I was just there like two weeks ago...
    Lutens debuted at $88 in 2002 at Bergdorf& Goodman, let 's hope for no more increases!!!..hmm! hmm! in the near future at least...
    Last edited by Bois et Musc; 12th February 2007 at 07:22 PM.

Gary - 1 language - 1 testicle - whole lotta love - and a '57 Cherry sunburst Gibson Les Paul with the original paperwork, never played under the bed. The kind Jimmy Page plays only better. - I don't mean I never played it under the bed. I mean it's unplayed and none of you damned business where it is.
    hey Gary, you just got my vote for "most WTF post of the day" LOL
    bartender, i'll have some of whatever he's having

The Lutens sells at £ 50 a pop here in the UK, not bad I think.
    I recently tried the Arabie, Ambre Sultan and Santal Blanc.
    I must admit I am very surprised about the SA recommending and blending and even mixing the Lutens frags himself...

Maybe you can blend them, however if it was meant to be Lutens would have blended them himself I suppose...dunno, it's up to yourself, not to the Sa I think..

As for blending various Lutens .. good lord, they are already the perfume world equivalent of WMD's interms of their composition tenacity, power and richness!

Blending two uber potent lutens and smelling the result might cause nostril cartilage fracture/burn and scarring of the insular cortex in the brain !
    -

As for blending various Lutens .. good lord, they are already the perfume world equivalent of WMD's interms of their composition tenacity, power and richness!

Blending two uber potent lutens and smelling the result might cause nostril cartilage fracture/burn and scarring of the insular cortex in the brain !
    eeeeww -

Quote Originally Posted by JYvdK
    The Lutens sells at £ 50 a pop here in the UK, not bad I think.
    I recently tried the Arabie, Ambre Sultan and Santal Blanc.
    I must admit I am very surprised about the SA recommending and blending and even mixing the Lutens frags himself...

Maybe you can blend them, however if it was meant to be Lutens would have blended them himself I suppose...dunno, it's up to yourself, not to the Sa I think..
    Could this possibly have been a cunning trick, by the SAs, to sell two bottles at a time in one go? If they're getting commission for every sale, they've managed to find a way of doubling their commission. That's really sly, eh? Also, I'm sure the way they 'performed' made such an idea seem like some 'brilliant revelation' to unsuspecting/inexperienced customers...

we have found the enemy - and he is us.... Pogo

Again all eyes are on Dallas tonight folks. We have a situation unfolding that if it goes the way it's going and falls into the wrong hands, could spell the complete extermination of our race through a nasal cartilage/fried brainpan thingie. All we can do is sit and wait to see whether sergelutens4me posts again tonight, or if SWAT teams will go in after him tomorrow...
    this is Walter Cronkite and that's the way it is... or today was or your day - pick two

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Could this possibly have been a cunning trick, by the SAs, to sell two bottles at a time in one go? If they're getting commission for every sale, they've managed to find a way of doubling their commission. That's really sly, eh? Also, I'm sure the way they 'performed' made such an idea seem like some 'brilliant revelation' to unsuspecting/inexperienced customers...
    I think so, something must have been going on ; as zztopp pointed out, these are already very potent frags, (the Arabie sample ''contaminated'' all my other (paper)samples...)maybe the guy was a bit ambitious and we will find his own frags at les Senteurs London soon! Behold!!!
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

Funny; I thought the same thing. My biggest complaint about Lutens was that they were just too heavy as it was, so to have them mixed together... wow! Anyway, since I've never tried it, I won't knock it (I've made some unconventional layerings before myself... including heavy frags)... but as much as one Lutens wears ME instead of me wearing it... I could only imagine two!
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 12th February 2007 at 09:24 PM.

Blog Entries

I have to disagree with all you perfume 'purists' concerning the layering of any designer perfume.

I am not sure whether this person is a Serge Luten's stooge or not but if he is to be judged innocent until proven guilty then we need to take note and respect certain points.

1. He claims to actually have enjoyed the combinations that were suggested to him. He liked them enough to spend his hard earned cash and purchased some. As have many of us on here.

2. He liked the Lutens and the combinations described to him, enough to be considering going back for more.

3. The SA's are there for one thing and one thing only - to sell units of the given product. Layering products from the same line a la Jo Malone, etc, is no more an outrage then talking up formula notes like 'moss crystals' or saying a scent has 'no' top notes. Their job is to shift units.

4. Now that he has the bottles at home he can choose, should he wish, to wear the scents individually. Sheesh, should he wish to use them as air freshener that is his perogative - why the outrage and barracking? He bought them, with his money - let him use them however he wishes.

There really is no need for drama.

LOL! I enjoy layering and do layer some of my Serge Lutens with other potent perfumes! I have actually discovered a few wonderful combo's that (for me at least) actually improve on the original scent...

Sacrilige may be to you purists but perfume is first and foremost personal and no one is so perfect, so 'educated', or so wordly that they have the right to belittle and castigate a person for wearing perfume to their personal tastes.

This is valid even if sergelutens4me turns out to have ulterior motives to posting on this forum.

A little tolerance and respect please...
    Last edited by moondeva; 12th February 2007 at 09:24 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Just to add my two cents here, in an interview Serge Lutens himself recommended to try layering his powerful beauties. Indeed, he went as far as listing three for each layering (OMG!):

Ambre Sultan+Daim Blond+Arabie
    Ambre Sultan+Un Bois Vanille+Douce Amère
    Ambre Sultan+Fleurs d'Oranger+Datura Noir
    Ambre Sultan+Daim Blond+Clair de Musc
    Fleurs de Citronnier+A la Nuit+Sa Majesté la Rose
    Fleurs de Citronnier+Clair de Musc+Santal Blanc
    Fleurs de Citronnier+Fleurs d'Oranger+Datura Noir

So it seems that the two SAs did neither invent warm water nor do something outrageous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Thumbs up Re: my introduction to Serge Lutens perfumes

you tell 'em moondeva!

Quote Originally Posted by rentboy
    you tell 'em moondeva!
    Agreed!

Lady in Black beat me to it..

Serge himself has mentioned layering them. The SA's at Barneys in Beverly Hills have also mentioned layering them to me. I don't think it's worth getting worked up over.

Ice water, that's what it is. They can't stand seeing guys enjoy themselves. No, not with THEIR precious perfumes.
    Gentlemen there will be no more tongue in cheekage. Eventually a leader amongst them will show up with a 4 way Lutens combo/dessert topping. I'm sorry I ever wore anything stronger than aftershave cause the basenotes perfume PHD's are invading. And kind sirs, this will make the raid by alt.jokes.tasteless on rec.cats look like recess.
    I pray that any of us survive. I do believe they think we take this seriously. Yes layering, sure, invented right here without our help.
    My chest hurts.
    Goodbye

calling my doctor because layering SL's is a sickening thought - I just hape you're all hoppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black
    Just to add my two cents here, in an interview Serge Lutens himself recommended to try layering his powerful beauties. Indeed, he went as far as listing three for each layering (OMG!):

So it seems that the two SAs did neither invent warm water nor do something outrageous.
    It's easy to say someone said or did something but can you point to the interview?
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 12th February 2007 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I think Bois et Musc is right to be outraged.
    Same here... Couldn't believe my eyes when I read that. Great if the combinations work for him, but it just sounds outrageous to me.

Edit: had not finished the thread when I posted. I still can't believe my eyes
    Last edited by shifts; 12th February 2007 at 11:11 PM.

Wink Re: my introduction to Serge Lutens perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black

Hi Lady in Black would you be kind enough to give us the source or link of that interview?
    I thought I had the complete Lutens interviews available online + magazines pages saved on my PC (something like 40+ articles) but never came accross that one!!
    I 'd appreciate, actually it 's interesting, never assume anything! sacred Serge!

I'll remove posts that are flames, insults, or just plain rude ones if they happen on this thread again.

Read and consider these rules:

#6: Stay on topic
    -The Basenotes Community is not a venue for personal or private vendettas. Keep your personal business as just that – personal. This forum is not a venue for the resolution of personal disputes with members or companies.

#8: Be respectful
    -Flaming or personal attacks are not allowed or tolerated. Be respectful of others.
    -TREAT PEOPLE HOW YOU WISH TO BE TREATED [emphasis added]
    -If someone doesn't have the same views as you, it does not make them a moron.

#9: Avoid hot topics
    -We have the right to lock or delete topics which have the potential to get out of hand. We have been running this discussion board for over five years, some topics come up regularly that cause problems. These will be locked.

#10: Stop when you are told
    If you are advised to stop a discussion by an administrator or moderator then do so. Threads will be locked should discussion continue after you have been advised otherwise. If you wish to carry on your debate after you have been advised to drop it, please use private email.

I'm telling you, gentle reader, to stop the insults, and drop related discussions.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I have no opinion on mixing scents; to each their own.

I am a little surprised, however, with mixing serge lutens. For me, they are powerfully vile and combining two or more would probably make me spontaneously combust if I tried such a thing.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Now, one would expect a cultured French person to be familiar with noblesse oblige.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

This thread is quite entertaining. Especially Bois et Musc's posts. A Parisian, speaking 5 languages living in... Queens... What an image. Everybody loves ze French!

the borough of Queens encompasses the beautiful "Forest Hills".

here's some info probably 3 years old so those $575,000 homes are probably closer to 1 million dollar homes. Homey

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...ots/49151.html

Quote Originally Posted by keylogic
    This thread is quite entertaining. Especially Bois et Musc's posts. A Parisian, speaking 5 languages living in... Queens... What an image. Everybody loves ze French!
    HA! I was thinking the exact same thing!

Entertaining thread, yes...but I don't understand the "outrage". The job of salespeople is to SELL, and they do what they can to sell as much as they can, especially if they're working on a commission. What's not to understand about that and why the outrage? I also don't think that their sales approach was "immature, unprofessional, and unexperienced." They are probably trained now to do that. It's all about marketing.
    Last edited by DJB; 13th February 2007 at 05:29 PM.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Now I'm afraid to admit that <GULP> I'm a Lutens late bloomer and that <GASP> I love to dab Clair de Musc on top of Black Cashmere body cream. (hides in shame)
    Of course, I only speak 3 languages, how very uncouth and barbaric, shame on me.

So, did anyone try layering Arabie with Miel De Bois ?

I layered Iris Silver Mist with MKK and the result wasnt too shabby (ofcourse these two arent as potent as the other typical lutens)
    -

Quote Originally Posted by sinij chas
    Now I'm afraid to admit that <GULP> I'm a Lutens late bloomer and that <GASP> I love to dab Clair de Musc on top of Black Cashmere body cream. (hides in shame)
    Actually that sounds like a very nice combination!

Quote Originally Posted by sinij chas
    Of course, I only speak 3 languages, how very uncouth and barbaric, shame on me.
    LOL!
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

I never have, those two would be very sweet and clash against each other, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by DJB
    LOL!
    I try...
    Last edited by sinij chas; 13th February 2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I layered Iris Silver Mist with MKK and the result wasnt too shabby (ofcourse these two arent as potent as the other typical lutens)
    I live in fear of Miel De Bois.All I kept thinking while wearing it was, "Why would anyone do this?" I keep it in a cool dark place and will re-gift it as soon as I find someone so noxious... so evil... that I don't care what happens.
    Yes the piano player at Barneys in Dallas has been bricked-up into the new Serge Lutens Pavilion where players now can check their weapons at the door, and groove with Brandy and Bubbles. Was that their name?
    What's cool to spray on my leather seats in my Bentley?
    and this watch.
    http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m...rrent=img1.jpg
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 13th February 2007 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by DJB
    Entertaining thread, yes...but I don't understand the "outrage". The job of salespeople is to SELL, and they do what they can to sell as much as they can, especially if they're working on a commission. What's not to understand about that and why the outrage? I also don't think that their sales approach was "immature, unprofessional, and unexperienced." They are probably trained now to do that. It's all about marketing.
    Yeah, what outrage? Apart from that 'very passionate' French Basenoter, most of us where simply making observations, no?

Yea, what a loser! He's probably never been to Paris or New York, and it's statistacally very unlikely that he speaks 5 languages. What the hell has he been doing with his life?!? Way to tell him BeM, of course a well-bred Parisian can't be hypocrytical or wrong for that matter. Keep up the good work, eventually we'll all act like real mean and our forum will be super functional!

As strong as most Lutens are, if misted on from a good distance they are quite manageable. Doing so with more than one Lutens fragrance does not equate to anything unbearably strong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Yea, what a loser! He's probably never been to Paris or New York, and it's statistacally very unlikely that he speaks 5 languages. What the hell has he been doing with his life?!? Way to tell him BeM, of course a well-bred Parisian can't be hypocrytical or wrong for that matter. Keep up the good work, eventually we'll all act like real mean and our forum will be super functional!

As strong as most Lutens are, if misted on from a good distance they are quite manageable. Doing so with more than one Lutens fragrance does not equate to anything unbearably strong.
    You make a good point except the person in question is apparently a 'she' / female.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

...I m a parisian New Yorker, it s the devil wears Prada meets Joan Rivers mentality here, no time for prudish talk here!
    Ahhh....the very best of "the city so nice they named it twice" and Gay Paris---Anna Wintour and Joan Rivers.

I live in fear of Miel De Bois.All I kept thinking while wearing it was, "Why would anyone do this?" I keep it in a cool dark place and will re-gift it as soon as I find someone so noxious... so evil... that I don't care what happens
    I'm noxious and evil. Just sayin'
    Last edited by tmp00; 13th February 2007 at 11:07 PM.

the borough of Queens encompasses the beautiful "Forest Hills".
    Yes Forest Hills is nice. But not a place for any self respecting worldly, cosmopolitan, discriminating and condescending Parisians. The upper east side is their natural habitat...

Queens has a much greater propensity to have neighborhhods that harbor your fellow countrymen. My mother was born in the Ridgewood section of Queens which was populated heavily by Germans.

Wink Re: my introduction to Serge Lutens perfumes

Blending any Lutens fragrances together is like mixing Hollandaise and Mole sauces together. What are the Barneys SA's trying to create, the olfactory equivalent of a Long Island Ice Tea? Good GOD!

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    I have to disagree with all you perfume 'purists' concerning the layering of any designer perfume.
    LOL! I enjoy layering and do layer some of my Serge Lutens with other potent perfumes! I have actually discovered a few wonderful combo's that (for me at least) actually improve on the original scent...
    A little tolerance and respect please...
    Well said! I agree on layering - it's just a bit of fun, and at the end of the day, if it smells good to you, who cares?

The other day, I had Vintage Tabarome on one wrist and Chergui on the other. I happened to smell them together and thought it was interesting, so I tried the blend! Loved it. I like masculinising my slightly girly sweet frags like Chergui, Dior Homme, Daim Blond, Body Kouros with fresher notes or leathers, vetivers, tobaccos etc.

But that's just me...
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles
    Blending any Lutens fragrances together is like mixing Hollandaise and Mole sauces together. What are the Barneys SA's trying to create, the olfactory equivalent of a Long Island Ice Tea? Good GOD!
    I disagree. Some combinations may clash but others do not.
    In fact, try spraying on a little Clair de Musc before spraying on Ambre Sultan or Fleurs d'Oranger.
    You'd be surprised to see how well they complete each other.

I just want to say that I am way over my head in this thread and it was very entertaining.

Welcome to Basenotes SergeLutens4me, assuming that this wasn't some sort of advertisment.

I think sergelutens4me lost his instructions. tried layering in a poorly ventilated room and that his body should be discovered next week during dry down.

Long live layering!
    I read the original post here and was really excited to see the encouragement of layering scents.
    Sure, I have felt like a heretic at times layering scents, but mostly I have just found it deeply satisfying.
    Never realized it could generate such unbridled controversy.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache