Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: - The rise of "Bespoke" fragrance services -

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    I would assign more credence to what Luca Turin himself wrote on his blog rather than what he was quoted as saying in an article stitched together by a different writer. On his blog, Turin had total control over the communication of what he wanted to say. On the other hand, Turinís quotes in the article written by someone else could have been taken out of context and inadvertently twisted and interpreted in a way that didnít exactly express Turinís thoughts and feelings.

My exact sentiments...

Basenotes Plus

Clearwater, Fl

As soon as I read that the bespoken fragrance will last your lifetime at one of the houses, I wondered, what if I want to break it off with my bespoken. What are the house's rules on that. Will I continue to pay, will it revert back to the house to be tryed on the next person who wanders in looking for "bespoke". The public has never smelled the bespokes. Could Turin's own work in the field plus that of other perfumers have resulted in warehouses full of drums of fragrances waiting to be "bespoken" for?

I think the way it works is:- you pay your money and get a very large amount of perfume (with creed it is ten litres) initially. If you want more, you order more later (presumably at a lower cost as no development this time). The formula remains secret and only orderable by you until you die after which the house is free to market it if it so chooses.

I think much of turin's point rests on the quantity issue. Ten litres is a silly quantity of perfume for one person, yet it is financially silly to make less. In fact, it makes financial sense to make more. The actual cost of producing more, once you are producing some, is minimal. The price you pay is largely: 1) for the perfumers time and experience (fair enough in my book) 2) the exclusivity (ridiculous in mine and Turin's books) 3) a relatively small cost for the materials and packaging.

I also agree that most people are in no way qualified to make the decisions necessary. I am more aware than most people (non basenoters) about notes, construction, development etc but know I do not know enough to develop my own fragrance. I know some people here do make their own concoctions, they may know more, but I suspect many of them are working on learning that which a highly trained and experienced nose knows.

I can understand if you know a lot about what you want and have the money to burn (e.g. someone here may be looking for an ultimate rose accord for them and have a good idea they want it minty and fresh) but these must surely be very few.

(After the revolution, bespoke perfume services will only be available to those with at least two years basnotes membership, over 2000 posts, and proof from their bank that they have put their livliehood at risk by overspending on the failed search for that which they would like created .)
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    ...From an aesthetic standpoint, perfume is a shared, industrial product, more like wine, music and books than like a painting or a jewel, and there is something ugly about asking a great artist to do one just for you...
    I guess a parallel to Turin's case would be a great soprano who was under exclusive contract to a "wealthy prince" only to perform for him---the world would be deprived of her talent. Or if Van Gogh's life's works sat in a greedy collector's private home, never shown to the public---how sad. You can imagine the character: "It's mine, all mine hah-hah!"

It seems in Turin's mind, there are a limited number of great "noses" in the world who are able to create masterpiece scents. I think it's another expression of over-inflated ego extremes you see these days......paying $30,000-$80,000 for my very own personal perfume, c'mon. My father would say that's just an extension of an old adage, though: "A fool and his money are soon parted."