Code of Conduct

Lightbulb CK Eternity vs. Chanel Platinum Egoiste

These two fragrances smell quite similar to each other. For you fragrance experts what are the essential differences?

Default Re: CK Eternity vs. Chanel Platinum Egoiste

Eternity does not work for me. Smells musty on me. On some guys it smells awesome; I'm not one of them.

Platinum is great. Very fresh and classy smelling. Very rich. Go easy on the trigger, 3 sprays max or you'll take over the room.

The essential differences are that I've never seen Platinum going cheap, whereas Eternity can often be found with a good discount - so not many people wear Platinum, whereas just about everyone into colognes at the time has worn Eternity.

I like Eternity more. Platinum has an odd note that disagrees with me.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    The essential differences are that I've never seen Platinum going cheap, whereas Eternity can often be found with a good discount - so not many people wear Platinum, whereas just about everyone into colognes at the time has worn Eternity.

I like Eternity more. Platinum has an odd note that disagrees with me.
    Renato
    Eternity is too common. Almost everyone has tried it sometime in their lives. Platinum Egoiste is definitely a better choice. It lasts so much longer and the sillage is crazy

My wife commented twice yesterday on how good I smelled in the Platinum.
    Once was at 4:00 in the afternoon, and then again at about 7:30 PM when she got home. I had only used 3 sprays at 8:00 AM yesterday morning!

I really like Platinum, and luckily so does my wife!

I just purchased Platinum and I am pleased. If it weren't so expensive, then i'd wear it daily...but then again.. Guess Man (my other fav) was $50 and is 2.5 ounces, while Plat is $65 and is 3.4 ounces...so..damn. I guess Guess Man aint too cheap..

Platinum is great. I haven't tried Eternity yet.

While I am not a big fan of either fragrance, there is no doubt in my mind which is the superior scent. Chanel makes their fragrances with the finest ingredients while Eternity smells - to me a least - cheap and dull. It makes me think that Klein did not care what he put his name on, he just needed a male equivalent to his immensely popular Eternity for Women. Calvin Klein did not always make poor scents; his original men's fragrance was a beauty and his men's version of Obsession is not bad at all. But I would much rather have Egoiste and Egoiste Platinum than Obsession and Eternity. And it is not a matter of snob appeal but the recognition of superior ingredients and finer composition.

PE all the way... you're comparing a Ferrari (PE) to a Mustang (Eternity)....

I personally would not speak of them in the same breath. IMO Chanel Platinum Egoiste is a much better developed scent.

As someone who's old favorite was Eternity and who's current is Platinum Egoiste, I have to say I don't find them particularly similar. To me PE is somewhat light, while Eternity has a dense heaviness to it. Also to my nose, PE smell more expensive, not to say I find Eternity cheap smelling at all.

I will agree with the other reviews in that Eternity is much more common, and I think most people will be able to indentify it. Also, even though they have been around a comparable time, Eternity runs the risk of coming off more dated I think (80's/90's)

To my nose, CK Eternity placed on the "bolder" side which makes a "soapy" effect while Chanel PE is on the "lighter" side which makes the flower notes standout. Both have good projection and longevity. I love both fragrance.

I find CK Eternity to have a much more synthetic quality. Platinum Egoiste is easily a better fragrance, in my opinion.

I don't really find anything similar between them at all. Eternity is much louder and sweeter and has somewhat of a synthetic quality that if you overspray you are in some serious trouble. If I'm going to be sitting in the car for awhile, Eternity is probably the last bottle I would reach for as it can become near intolerable in a confined space even with light sprays.

Platinum Egoiste - despite having some really horrible topnotes - actually develops into a very subtle, masculine scent that really bears no resemblance to Eternity. It stays much closer to the body as well. I own and enjoy both, but to me they are nothing alike

Eternity is cheap synthetic smell with some herbs and soapy character.
    Platinum Egoiste is classy, dry, masculine, floral.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

PE is far superior. With Eternity I get a very generic smelling fragrance that does absolutely nothing for me. There is a reason why Eternity is being sold in drug stores and PE isn't...

PLatinum Egoiste all the way.....>
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    I don't really find anything similar between them at all. Eternity is much louder and sweeter and has somewhat of a synthetic quality that if you overspray you are in some serious trouble. If I'm going to be sitting in the car for awhile, Eternity is probably the last bottle I would reach for as it can become near intolerable in a confined space even with light sprays.

Platinum Egoiste - despite having some really horrible topnotes - actually develops into a very subtle, masculine scent that really bears no resemblance to Eternity. It stays much closer to the body as well. I own and enjoy both, but to me they are nothing alike
    +1 on all accounts (except for currently owning either).

Both great scents, both solid investments, but I found them and still perceive them as highly different:

Eternity- more on the citrus-chypre side
    Platinum Egoiste- more on the spicy, slightly sweet yet oddly not gourmand side

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I personally would not speak of them in the same breath. IMO Chanel Platinum Egoiste is a much better developed scent.
    This is the way I feel.....Gary

PE by a country mile.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Huge difference to me. Cats & dogs. Eternity is sweet in an almost Fruity Pebbles cereal way. Platinum is spiced like oregano & rosemary.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    PE by a country mile.
    Eternity is nowhere near the compliment getter that PE is.

Last edited by tdwctdwc; 15th March 2014 at 06:21 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....