Code of Conduct

Default Sucked back into the fragrance world

It's good to be back...

At the end of high school and the beginning of university I was using Cool Water and Dolce & Gabbana. By second year, I moved onto Gendarme and John Varvatos. And now that I've graduated and I'm working in the "real world," I think it's time for some new juice.

I was just able to sample some Creeds, a couple Lorenzo Villoresis, and Guerlain Vetiver at a local shop. I don't exactly have a well-trained nose, but here are my brief impressions...

Creed Vetiver
    First time ever trying a Vetiver. Amazing and full of dimension! Smelled like two distinct notes, fresh-cut grass and a citrusy soap, firing out and working in parallel. Almost bizarre, and incredibly refreshing.

Creed Tabarome
    Love that tobacco. I couldn't really put my finger on it, but it really reminded me of a cologne I sampled a long time ago. Kind of spoiled it a bit, but Tabarome still left me with a much better impression. I can definitely see this being prime choice for cool nights in the spring and fall, and even for casual business. I'm more curious than ever about the vintage.

Creed Millesime Imperial
    I wasn't so sure about the top notes, but it got better as it dried down. As well rounded as it was, I have to say that it didn't really stick out to me. In fact, I found it kind of... boring. Perhaps I'll give this another go some time, considering all the rave reviews it gets around here.

Creed Bois du Portugal
    Wow, Home Depot much? Seriously though, I can't stop sniffing my wrist. In the best way possible, it's like I'm sniffing an enchanted 2x4. Absolutely fascinating, wholly masculine, and incredibly potent scent. Not for the faint of heart, I would love to pull this off in power meetings.

Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Okay, I'm not sure what happened here. I've heard great things about this, but it smelled like the blackcurrants were stale. Seriously. Am I missing something? Could the juice have really turned?

Guerlain Vetiver
    After being so impressed by Creed's version, I was expecting big things from this one. If Creed Vetiver is refreshing and uplifting, Guerlain Vetiver is soothing and tranquil. Unfortunately, it was so tranquil that it seemed to have faded away in just a few hours. With all the hype, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.

LV Dilmun
    Warm and a little bit of sweet spice. The orange seems to barely poke its head out, only to recede as it dries down. Unfortunately, this one didn't last very long on me.

LV Spetzie
    This one's rich with sweet spices and herbs. Strong off the bat, it seems just about right after a couple hours. I can see this being a very enjoyable scent for some, but it's not really for me. Oh, and this stuff has some serious stamina.

Okay, so now I have to pick one (or two... or three...). My current favourites are all Creeds. Creed Vetiver, Creed Tabarome, and Creed Bois du Portugal. Vetiver is exciting, Tabarome, I just really enjoy (I must try the vintage!). Bois du Portugal... well, I'd like to pop that bottle when I'm about to land my first big contract. If I get Bois du Portugal, it's going to have to be the smaller bottle. Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh, and I've been meaning to ask this for a long time. When I got Gendarme and John Varvatos, they were great for the first month. After that, I swear they did not smell the same, nor did they have the longevity they once had. The Gendarme especially... it shoving bitter soap in your mouth was smellable, that was it. I know your nose gets used to scents, but even after taking a break from colognes for several months, they seemed like shadows of their former selves. Is this normal? I generally store them in cool and dark places, so I doubt they went bad that quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sucked back into the fragrance world

Fisto

Excellent first (second?) post.Welcome to Basenotes!

I've been similarly underwhelmed with Creed MI and SMW and overwhelmed (in a good way) by BdP. I have a love/hate thing with Tabarome, that I suspect may end up as just hate. Green Irish Tweed and Green Valley are excellent Creeds - fresh and earthy with great dry-down.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Post Thanks / Like

Good post and welcome.

I agree both vetivers are excellent frags. I couldn't choose between them as the fulfill different roles for me. Oh ok, if I have to I would choose the guerlain.

I love tabarome millesime, think it is quite underated, fantastically blended. The ginger just hangs on the sharpness of the unsmoked tobacco and accents the round warm aspects of that, the green tea gives crispness and the drydown vetiver, patchouli santal are fabulous.
    The vintage tabarome is completely different, I don't think liking one gives any indication how you would get on with the other. I respect it more than like it.

I too don't get SMW. What is that cluttered inkyness? It is almost a great frag but somewhat flawed for me.

I like Millesime Imperial but it took me a while, less is more with this. Once I started applying less, I could start unpicking the heart and drydown accord into its constituents and it suddenly made sense. Sometimes I really crave this smell now.

Bois de portugal made a fantastic first impression but I find the number of times I actually want to wear it are mimimal. At first I smelled the accord of walking through fragrant woodland but as my nose unpicked it into lavander, spices, woods its appeal lessened somewhat. The drydown is fantastic though.

Don't know the others, sorry.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Thanks for the replies!

I can't seem to get over the fact that everyone compares Green Irish Tweed to Cool Water. Cool Water was way too popular in my circles several years ago. I'll never forget when I was sitting around at a bar and a girl was like "Mmmm! Who's wearing Cool Water?" About five guys conceded. Yes, I know GIT probably has much more depth than CW, so I'll probably have to give it a chance some time.

Inky! That's a dead-on description of SMW.

So, what did I end up ordering? Creed Vetiver and Creed Tabarome. I really wanted to get Bois du Portugal, but I just couldn't see myself wearing it all that often. Maybe I'll order a small bottle when business picks up.

Also, I'm extremely tempted to pick up a Lorenzo Villoresi. Spezie didn't work out for me right away, but is it ever a beast when it comes to stamina and sillage. A bit of it rubbed off on the cuff of my winter jacket, and I can still smell it clearly to this day. I have to say, it's growing on me! The sweet and spicy warmth is so comforting in this bitter cold weather. But still, I think it may be too strong for my taste, and I don't want to offend anyone at a business meeting. What do you guys think of LV Uomo for cold weather and business?