Code of Conduct

Default Replicating organic scents: cut grass, moss, bark, etc.

Has anyone experimented with this or had any success in closely replicating familiar natural scents using essential and fragrance oils?

I like the way Demeter's wet garden smells initially -- it really does have a grassy odour -- but it dries down to something really sweet and flowery. I'd like to try to create something that is as close to a natural scent as possible.

I was able to create something somewhat 'dirty,' moist and organic blending oil of copaiba with a little bit of patchouli and vetiver...But it didn't quite achieve what I was looking for. It was heavy and sweet and smelled more like a manmade incense than something natural.
    Avon-obsessed

Default Re: Replicating organic scents: cut grass, moss, bark, etc.

I believe that, ironically, many of the "natural" scents like Wet Garden and Dirt are made at least partially with synthetic components. As far as genuine EOs go, other earthy/gardenlike ones you could try are muhuhu, which smells like hay and sweaty horses, and amyris, a sandalwood substitute which I think doesn't smell like sandalwood at all but is very interesting in its own right. It has a very hay-and-wood-shaving smell. Patchouli from different countries also varies- from sweet to earthy. Same with vetiver.

Default Re: Replicating organic scents: cut grass, moss, bark, etc.

I agree with the last post that most of the natural scents are synthetic – however, there are some oils like oakmoss (earth), cypress (wood) or violet leaf (grass) that are earthy.

I created a green scent using lemon balm, geranium, lavender, violet leaf, black pepper and oakmoss – I called it summer grass because it wasn’t really “grass”, but rather the green smell of a summer breeze.

Because I am just a hobbyist, I do use fragrance oils (cheaper than some of the essentials; easier to buy than the synthetic fragrance elements) along with my essential oils
    CeCe