Code of Conduct

Default have you reached the end of your search?

i just wondered if any posters have reached the stage where they are truly settled on their favourite scents? or is it a never-ending journey for a holy grail which may, or may not exist?

Yours truly

Tommy
    I Thang You!

Favourites: Knize Ten, Creed Royal English Leather, Creed Cuir de Russie, Acqua di Parma Colonia, Helmut Lang Cuiron, Creed Zeste Mandarine Pampelmousse

Default Re: have you reached the end of your search?

Never. It's just like dining ... you use your "go to" restaurant where you're guaranteed your favorite (or holy grail) dish ... but always out looking for new dining experiences.

I find even favorites need some time away to truly appreciate them ... and so you don't get sick of them.

What ziffy321 said. ^

Post Thanks / Like

What jock_with_scents said. ^
    -

Post Thanks / Like

ditto. i would add though, that the lesser frags start getting easier and easier to get rid of. but my nostrils will always be open to new scents that suit me.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Post Thanks / Like

What zztopp said /\
    Also, it's different when the weather changes. During the winter, my favorite scent would be a warm, cuddly scent, while in summer, I'll probably go crazy for a fig or a vetiver.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

What _R$_ said. ^

smeller

I don't search anymore, I'm very satisfied with the ones I already have.

More than that, I think there are unnecessary bottles in my wardrobe. If I could start again, I would have probably just 18 bottles, instead of my actual 36.

I do not discard the hypothesis of finding something amazing in the future, but I don't believe it's going to happen so easily, as I am very selective. And I'm not searching it here at Basenotes, but trying to develop my knowledge about my favourite ones.

Probably I'm one of the few here that feel this way. And, even if I wanted to search more, the truth is I cannot afford an infinite search.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope.

I've got three modalities left:

1) check out a house - get an assortment of samples from one house that interest your (doing that now with Lorenzo Villoresi)

2) pursue a type or note across different houses and styles. I did that once already investigating amber fragrances. I'm sort of sliding into that with vetiver.

3) new things that sound interesting. I'll definitely look into the D&G coming out and I'm still trying to figure out how to get samples of the Dior exclusive fragrances (I can *buy* on eluxury but I'm not ready to blind those.)

I'd be quite happy if all I had for the rest of my life is the wardrobe I've already acquired. I don't really believe in a Holy Grail for me to wear, though I think such a thing may exist in terms of what I like on a lady.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm content with my wardrobe until the next great fragrance comes along. I doubt I'll ever get over the excitement of discovering amazing new fragrances, which is the best part of this hobby for me.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sure there are more great ones for me to find. I need to explore the classic lines like chanel and givenchy more than I have so far. I have a feeling I will find some gems in there.

the search ends when the wallet drains...

even then, id probably steal...

"You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

I haven't yet!
    I am very much looking forward for what's coming in the frag world, as usual.

Post Thanks / Like

Not quite the "end", but perhaps time to catch my breath, and take stock. I recall over a year ago when I was early into this forum, and the pursuit of the new and the revelatory was a very big thing with me; I looked at this as a great new education. I was excited about finding new things. I love to learn about new things. Now I have done an incredible amount of testing; and searching; and buying; and talking, and although am still interested, and open to new things, the pace and intensity is decreasing. I love what I have, but think it's time to decide from the whole stock-- what really is "ME" and what needs to go. Time to take a breath, and maybe even move on to something else...(?)....

Naaaaah. Not yet. Still fun. Still a few things to learn.

Joe

I agree with most of the points that has already been made. When you first find such a site like basenotes, you start off on this “mad” hunt for your number 1…but that’s just it…you find out that your number 1 is a “white whale” or something. Anyway, I have found that my taste has drastically changed though, my expectations are higher than those typical mass marketed scents you hear about a lot or you smell on almost every teen at the mall or on every man wearing a suit. No! I say no more of it! I will not smell like the rest anymore because now…I am an individual and there may be a day, one day, that I will spray a sample or a decant and say, “Ah ha! I have finally caught you my Moby Dick!” But, even so, I have a feeling that the hunt will not be over as I will still be looking for something bigger and better than my previous prized “capture”. Sorry, kind of late here and I have been drinking too much caffeine and sugar.

So basically I agree with yongoh.

I don't regard my love for scents as a search with a definite goal, more like a path of personal enrichment, just like literature, for example. You don't read books because you are trying to find 'that' book that suits your soul like a glove. Every book you read, however bad it is, gives you a little more wisdom, even if that wisdom is that you should avoid anything else by its author. Some books you only browse thorugh or borrow, but other books you grow very fond of and end up buying so you can read them over and over again. It is true that when you have read a lot, your taste is more refined and fewer and fewer things can surprise you, but by then you have developed a love for literature that will feed your curiosity for new books.

Ah, and in response to your question, no.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is *just* beginning. Ideally I would only like to have 3-4 scents (day/night/summer/winter) but I just KNOW that i'll never be able to keep it that low.

Also, it gets a little frustrating when i'm visiting certain perfume retailers and the SA relentlessly pushes RANDOM scents under my nose, and it only adds to the number of frags I wanted to test out, making me feel more and more pressured to buy something.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish

Quote Originally Posted by jackconnorb
    Ideally I would only like to have 3-4 scents (day/night/summer/winter) but I just KNOW that i'll never be able to keep it that low.
    interesting point. how many scents are ideal and how do you split them: day by day, occasions, seasons, mood, time of day etc?

personally, 4 would be my ideal, one for each season (maybe one more for really special occasions), and each different from the other. i'm not a fan of chopping and changing too much.

Yours truly

Tommy
    I Thang You!

Favourites: Knize Ten, Creed Royal English Leather, Creed Cuir de Russie, Acqua di Parma Colonia, Helmut Lang Cuiron, Creed Zeste Mandarine Pampelmousse

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how this question arises at this moment, as I concluded just yesterday that I now own (and tested) everything I want. There is nothing left for me out there anymore, at least not at this moment. And although I'm not saying there's nothing that could again arouse my curiosity, I'm pretty sure my mission is as personally complete as possible. To my tastes, I have found:

• the best florals: Musk (Lorenzo Villoresi) and Silver Cologne (Amouage)
    • the best leathers: Royal English Leather (Creed) and Tabac Blonde (Caron)
    • the best roses: Rose Poivrée (The Different Company) and Ungaro III (Ungaro)
    • the best vetivers: Vetiver (Guerlain), Original Vetiver (Creed) and Vetiver (Lorenzo Villoresi)
    • the best winter scents: Santal Noble (Maître Parfumeur et Gantier), Tea for Two (l'Artisan Parfumeur) and Piper Nigrum (Lorenzo Villoresi)
    • the best summer scents: l'Eau de l'Artisan (l'Artisan Parfumeur) and Philosykos (Diptyque)

Great success!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will be searching forever: there is so much to discover out there...

I also know scents are rooted in my earliest memories, and therefore I am still trying to find that scent that sums up my early childhood...

I know Caron and Lanvin where my father's frags, but there is another one out there that I still need to find, if this makes any sense....!
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG