Code of Conduct

Default How would you classify Heritage?

I'm a bit stumped on this one. A fougere? A chypre? A 'something'-oriental?

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How would you classify Heritage?

I've never sniffed it (although it's on my to-try list).

As you may already be aware, Michael Edwards classifies it as a Crisp Woody Oriental.

(Wow. Now this goes to the top of my to-try list: that's how several of my all-time favorites are classified!)

Similarly, perfumeworld.net classifies it simply as an Oriental scent for men.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I'm a bit stumped on this one. A fougere? A chypre? A 'something'-oriental?

Any ideas?
    Michael Edwards classifies Héritage as a woody oriental. He aslo calls it a "crisp" scent.

His fourfold system has to do with how "bold" a scent is. The lightest, he calls "fresh," next comes "crisp," then "classic," and finally, "rich." The lightest ones focus on the headnotes, and as they get "deeper," the heart and basenotes begin to predominate.

I would agree with the woody oriental classification. The patchouli is definitely somewhat woody in feel, and also oriental. The cedar in the mix is also a reinforcement of the woody character. I think there's a little vanilla note in there (tonka bean) which is traditionally (along with pronounced spices, the pepper and coriander) called "oriental."

I wouldn't call this a fougère, since the lavender doesn't really come out much (being overwhelmed by the patchouli), and noticeable lavender is the signature note of a fougère. Neither is it a chypre, because it has no oakmoss, which is the "bellnote" of chypres.

I think, I would call this "classic" rather than "crisp," however. To me the patchouli and cedar far outweigh the lightening effect of the citrus and herbal topnotes.

Here are the notes, from Osmoz:

Top note : Bergamot, Lavender

Middle note : Pepper, Coriander

Base note : Patchouli, Cedarwood, Tonka bean

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

I would classify Heritage as "perfect"

Well, 'Perfect' is a strong word...but I feel what you are saying. I am in love with Heritage.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, perfect is a relative term. For me, this is the peak and pinnacle of the Guerlain masculine expression, but not quite perfect.... I do think, as I said in my review, that the Lavender top note is strident and acrid ( like Caron's Pour un Homme) but once it settles down.... well, it is perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Crisp, spicy woody oriental with significant fougère characteristics (though it lacks oakmoss).

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    Crisp, spicy woody oriental with significant fougère characteristics (though it lacks oakmoss).
    It depends on the version, the box of mine (an edt version) quotes both tree moss (Evernia Furfuracea extract) & oak moss (Evernia Prunastri extract) amongst a host of other ingredients. Are you specifying a more recent edition?
    Last edited by magnnum; 15th February 2007 at 06:32 AM.

I think there should be another forum created..."Advanced..." no participation under 750 posts. No disrespect to other posters, but...

This is where the learning would be done.

While I respect other member's opinions who I've learned greatly from...(jws), I'd very much like to hear other "advanced" opinions on this one.
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 15th February 2007 at 06:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What's wrong with Osmoz' classification as 'woody spicy'? As a basic classification I think that's fine. 'Chypre Fleuri Aldéhydé' is what suits me better personally. To understand this, it requires to be a little familiar with traditional French fragrance classifications, I think. 'Woody spicy', although fine, lets me always think of Yatagan first, less of something like Héritage. I could call Habit Rouge an Oriental (Woody O.) easily, not Héritage.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the lavender reasonably prominent, wheras I find the vanilla quite subdued, so I tend more to fougere than oriental. Its definitely woody. Not so sure about spicy. Crisp I can live with, though I'm not sure how helpful it is to me. Definitely not a chypre though the oakmoss is more prominent in the older version.

My 2ps worth .
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe
    I think there should be another forum created..."Advanced..." no participation under 750 posts. No disrespect to other posters, but...

While I respect other member's opinions who I've learned greatly from...(jws), I'd very much like to hear other "advanced" opinions on this one.
    I'm not sure what you are saying here but if what you are saying is that people with the less than 750 posts shouldn't post their views to this thread then I have to say…I couldn't give a flying fuck what you'd prefer for this thread.

This is a forum in which everyone is entitled to post — if you don't want to read what those with less than 750 posts have to say, then don't read them. Simple as that.

Now my less-than-750-post-opinion is similar to Narcus's: woody spicy. I don't get much lavender at all, but patchouli and coriander, balanced together. The lavender seems fairly well integrated and unobtrusive to me, as does the moss (in the old edt)

Mightily pissed
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe

Um, good luck with that. Would you be the one deciding which threads started here by plebians (no disrespect to you, me, the OP or other posters) would move over to the new real learning forum?

Something reminds me of an old cartoon of a learned old professor preparing to address a group of students. The caption: "I know so much I don't know where to begin."
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

I guess I didn't put enough disclaimers in. More like, playing in a jam session with Jimmy Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Page, Robin Trower...I wouldn't belong there other than to be lucky enough to listen.

I'd agree with Pluran and JaimeB, even though they somewhat disagree. I don't think making these classifications is an exact science by any means. Heritage does have patchouli making it "woody," significant tonka making it "oriental," coriander making it "spicy," and some lavender adding a crispness. That said, on me, the lavender is not a strong player for long and it quickly becomes a rich, warm, almost comforting scent that I would have to classify as more "classic" than "crisp" according to the criteria JaimeB provided. If you are looking for similar scents by classication, you would have to check quite a few. E.g., the Woody-Oriental, Spicy-Oriental, Woody-Spicy classes, at least.

(BTW, post count would be a poor indicator of level of knowledge. Often (not always) folks who post the most actually have little knowledge, as if trying to prove something or race somebody, somewhere (where exactly?). There are quite a few folks with low post counts whose opinions I highly value and would not discount their input just because they haven't posted that often.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    I'd agree with Pluran and JaimeB, even though they somewhat disagree. I don't think making these classifications is an exact science by any means. Heritage does have patchouli making it "woody," significant tonka making it "oriental," coriander making it "spicy," and some lavender adding a crispness. That said, on me, the lavender is not a strong player for long and it quickly becomes a rich, warm, almost comforting scent that I would have to classify as more "classic" than "crisp" according to the criteria JaimeB provided. If you are looking for similar scents by classication, you would have to check quite a few. E.g., the Woody-Oriental, Spicy-Oriental, Woody-Spicy classes, at least.
    This perfectly sums up my own impressions of this classic scent. Heritage EDT was my choice for a special Valentines dinner on the 13th.

Jeff