Code of Conduct

Default Does your taste in wine reflect your taste in perfume?

I have come to realise that generally I like my perfume on the
    green, dry side ( Roma, Vent Vert, Sienne l'Hiver,Cristobal, Eau Sauvage)
    or on the woody, rich, spicy side (Feminite du Bois, Cinnabar, Anna Pliska)
    My taste in wine is surprisingly similar : crisp, dry white or smooth, full-
    bodied red. Does your taste in wine coincide with your taste in perfumes??

Default Re: Does your taste in wine reflect your taste in perfume?

Absolutely not - I like rich and bold fragrances but dry and light wines.

You bet!

Shiraz = Opium PH
    Merlot = Burberry London
    Red Zin = Jaipur
    Gewurztraminer (Late Harvest)= Le Male

You know, I posted a review somewhere that compared a fragrance to an Alsatian Pinot Gris. But I can't remember which fragrance. So, yes, my taste in wine somewhat reflects my taste in fragrance, but I like a variety of wine and fragrances. I think wine tasting and perfume testing are very similar activities.

Blog Entries

Not surprisingly (being a self-confessed sensualist) there is a clear correspondence between my preferences in scent and my preferences in alcohol. In fact some of my favourite perfumes are renowned for their 'boozy' character. This could be an interesting expression of how our sense of smell is an integral and essential part of our sense of taste....

I can even see how my preferences in taste changing over time has been reflected in my evolving tastes in perfume.

My Story:

When I first became aware of my love of perfume I was a sprightly 20+ year old with a marked sweet tooth and I was a light smoker (average 3-5 a day). My taste in alcohol tended towards the sweet as well: Rum & Black (black currant), Malibu (rum) & Pineapple, Perry (pear wine) and other medium sweet white wines.

My perfume choices at that time tended to the sweet as well: Givenchy Amarige, Dior Tendre Poison, Cacharel LouLou, Lancome Tresor, Dior Poison EDT, TBS Dewberry(vintage), Lancome Poeme, Dior Dolce Vita, Chaumet by Chaumet, Clarins Elysium...

Around 2000 I had a life make-over. Packed in smoking once & for all, moved to the other end of the country, secured a job and my own place. True independence. I had by now developed a taste for dry, complex flavours with woody, mossy tones. I now enjoyed Champagne brut, Gin & Tonic, Martinis and Dry whites like chardonnay or robust reds such as Shiraz and Riojas.

My perfumes were also dry woody, mossy and I also developed an appreciation for scents marketed for men, which were frequently drier, woodier blends. I favoured: Yardley Sandalwood, Jasper Conran Woman, Givenchy Ysatis, Gucci Envy, Balenciaga Rumba, Armani for women (vintage), Dior Eau Sauvage, Paloma Picasso Parfum, La Perla by La Perla, Chanel No.19...

These days I enjoy many types of perfumes as I enjoy many types of cuisine but my personal taste will always steer towards the drier, richer, woodier scents anours out there...

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Most definitely for me.

Hmm. Good question. I find my fragrance tastes to be all over the place (or so I think...someone look at the wardrobe and tell me if I'm gravitating towards something!!)

My tastes in wine are also kinda varied. There are certain wines I will always, ALWAYS go back to. I love big Tuscan reds (what is the corresponding perfume to this?), and my very first wines (and the ones I'm most familiar with) are German Rieslings. I don't think those two varieties similar in the slightest. But I love many wines in between, too. I remember a beautiful verdejo that smelled amazingly like melon, was so light and sweet and tart on the tongue that I thought I was in heaven. Then there was this shiraz that I drank an entire bottle of.

I can't think of a particular wine type that I *dislike* actively, unless we're talking about artificially fruit-flavored local wines sold around the Pittsburgh area. I don't have a preference for dry or sweet, either, but I will say this: I am obsessed with Inniskillin Icewine (and I also want a bottle of Ginestet Botrytis...coincidence? I think not).

I'm also a HUGE scotch person (possibly a bigger scotch drinker than a wine drinker), and my favorite scotches are Lagavulin (major smoke and peat) and the Glenmorangie Port Cask (lovely and golden and has distinct wine notes in the smell--full bodied on tongue). So once again, an equal opportunity scotch drinker.

No. I can appreciate most wines but there are certain perfumes that I just can not.

in the sense that i like both to be off-the-beaten-path, definitely. i'm probably one of the few northern california wine enthusiasts that really could care less about most california wines, especially the cab/merlot/chard bottlings, and ESPECIALLY those that are made to be ... um ... marketable. (read: sweet and simple, for the US mass market). (fine red zins are an exception to my california aversion, as are some of the meritage type blends and some of the wines that are using more eclectic varietals)

on the other hand, i love spanish and rhone/provence wines. i like smoke and spice, leather, tobacco,earth. darker fruits. i pay a lot of attention to mouth feel. i like a wide variety of weights and dryness levels. (hmmm.... idole...chergui...tea for two...VE...costes)

oh - and just as i love my aomassai, i really dig golden, raiseny desert wines.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Quote Originally Posted by Arhianrad
    I'm also a HUGE scotch person (possibly a bigger scotch drinker than a wine drinker), and my favorite scotches are Lagavulin (major smoke and peat) and the Glenmorangie Port Cask (lovely and golden and has distinct wine notes in the smell--full bodied on tongue). So once again, an equal opportunity scotch drinker.
    Ah yes, not to go off topic, but I'm beginning to love whiskey. To be perfectly honest, I'm quite happy with a nice blend - and there is a lot of variety among blends - but I love it when my Scottish friends introduce me to something I've never tried, or sometimes a rare one (that I can never remember the name of!). It took me a long time to become accustomed to the taste of scotch. I think it would be fun to attend a tasting.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Along with some classic Bordeaux, Aussies, Sauternes and California reds I was fortunate enough to be able to lay away a sizeable Portugese Vintage Port collection back in the late 1970s and early 1980's. I purchased 63s, 66s, 70s, 77s (Fonseca, Taylor, Warre, Graham, Dow, Sandeman, Quinta du Noval Nacional and a few others) and a couple of years later 83s and 85s
    (Cockburn and Graham) on the relatively cheap.

I find my taste in scent closely parallels my taste for these wines...intense and full-bodied, but I do still look for good buys in both.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Hmm, wine disagrees with me, but I do have the odd beer. I like many, from Guinness through a good casked bitter down to pilsner. I like them all, except any that taste of the can (most that are canned, in fact) or are aggressively fizzy. I can't find any correlation between this and my tastes in perfume really, although I tend towards non-sweet fragrances.

(Moondeva, have you tried Perles de Lalique? Woody, mossy, lots of iris and dry rose... If this is the future of the modern chypre, I say Bring It On! Utterly amazingly gorgeous!)

This was my first question on BN!!

Thread here
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=189378
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

There is definitely a connection!

With fragrance I love orientals, chypres and rich florals.
    I like the smell of oak but dislike it in fragrance.

White wines fruity dry with notes of peach,mango. But to be honest would hate fruity fragrances.

I like my champagne yeasty and golden.
    Red wine not too heavy Italian,South Afican and South American too.
    DONNA

I prefer white over red and I like sweeter wines like the German Riesling. For reds, I am now enjoying Malbec which just goes very well all the more heavy flavoured Chinese or Indian food.

I honestly don't know if there is a definate correlation between wine and the choice of perfume. I do have a tendency to choose a bottle of full-bodied oriental scent over a skimpy crisp citrusy scent.

I don't mind the odd glass of wine, but it gets me so hammered I don't usually drink it unless there's not much alternative. I can appreciate it but it doesn't agree with me.
    If I'm going out to drink, I prefer big, garish, fruity cocktails - the more garnishes the better! Which is probably why I like things like Poison, Hypnotic Poison and Angel.

Hmm, maybe there is some kind of connection. I like full-bodied mellow reds best, and perfume-wise I prefer Orientals, especially woody and/or spicy ones.

I enjoy some fruity but dry sparkling whites and rosés, too, but mainly in the summer.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Hmm, maybe there is some kind of connection. I like full-bodied mellow reds best, and perfume-wise I prefer Orientals, especially woody and/or spicy ones.

I enjoy some fruity but dry sparkling whites and rosés, too, but mainly in the summer.
    Our local Costco (bulk buying/membership required discount store) has a really good merlot--Columbia Crest Gran Estates 2001--@ under $8 US. It would probably suit your taste for a full-bodied and mellow red to a "T", and is rated 90/100 points by Wine SPectator Magazine. Nothing like quaffing a really tasty bargain..

What would you expect a person who likes strong perfumes to drink?
    I wear mostly woody fragrances, chypres and orientals.

My favorite wine? German Riesling, which I don't think has much of a connection.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe
    Our local Costco (bulk buying/membership required discount store) has a really good merlot--Columbia Crest Gran Estates 2001--@ under $8 US. It would probably suit your taste for a full-bodied and mellow red to a "T", and is rated 90/100 points by Wine SPectator Magazine. Nothing like quaffing a really tasty bargain..
    Here in Finland we have a state monopoly boutique chain called Alko. Neither bargains nor special offers there.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Does your taste in wine reflect your taste in perfume?

Ack..

I recall State liquor stores in West Virginia years ago (gone now). Stark, barred windows, cell-like interior atmosphere, drone-like SAs. When shopping there for any beverage you were given the distinct feeling that the sales personnel had a haunting fear you might somehow, someway enjoy yourself by purchasing and using...shudder..alcohol!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmeg
    [...](Moondeva, have you tried Perles de Lalique? Woody, mossy, lots of iris and dry rose... If this is the future of the modern chypre, I say Bring It On! Utterly amazingly gorgeous!)
    No, I haven't. That and the iris dominated new release Chanel sound amazing! I am in no rush for the Chanels, as their (odd numbered) aldehydes do not agree with my chemistry. Que sera sera.

The Perles de Lalique sounds amazing! You do have a habit of creating the most delicious, and voracious, lemmings for me, Nutmeg! Naughty, Naughty!

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

This is a fun thread! As an alcoholic I can't drink any kind of alcohol, But I do see a link between food tastes and frags.

As a Gemini I love all kinds of food :bounce: - there's nothing I don't like - think of myself as quite catholic in my tastes. Pretty much true of scents too - love woody, love musky, love florientals - um, perhaps I should think of myself as undiscriminating!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by kbe
    Ack..

I recall State liquor stores in West Virginia years ago (gone now). Stark, barred windows, cell-like interior atmosphere, drone-like SAs. When shopping there for any beverage you were given the distinct feeling that the sales personnel had a haunting fear you might somehow, someway enjoy yourself by purchasing and using...shudder..alcohol!
    kbe, glad to report that in Pittsburgh (not quite West Virginia, but we're about 1.5 hours or so away) the state stores are really making an effort to provide a good wine/scotch selection. I am really quite pleased with the selection, having originally come from Maryland, which doesn't have state stores. The SAs, too, are much better at making recommendations...some stores let you sample, lots of gift sets in the wintertime...not bad.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Good for Pittsburg! I was in Morgantown, WV at the time and some of the smaller outlets around that area were almost hostile to customers and acted more like prison guards than SAs...

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11
    Ah yes, not to go off topic, but I'm beginning to love whiskey. To be perfectly honest, I'm quite happy with a nice blend - and there is a lot of variety among blends - but I love it when my Scottish friends introduce me to something I've never tried, or sometimes a rare one (that I can never remember the name of!). It took me a long time to become accustomed to the taste of scotch. I think it would be fun to attend a tasting.
    I love Scotch, too! DO attend a Scotch tasting it'll be an event that you savour for a long time to come. My twin sister took me to a Scotch tasting the last time I was back home in Denver, and we had SUUUCH a great time! It really helps train your palate, and it's great fun to learn about the different notes and the history of various distilleries.

Anyway... when I first turned 21 (legal drinking age in the USA) I started with sweet whites like Riesling and Gewürztraminer, and slowly started to branch out and taste other wines. Now my favorites are very dry red wine, such as a very dry Chianti, but there are tons of varieties out there to taste and experience!

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Not surprisingly (being a self-confessed sensualist) there is a clear correspondence between my preferences in scent and my preferences in alcohol...]
    All right, I'm sure we're all thinking it:

Merlot + Cab Franc?
    Riesling + White Zin?
    Sake + Champagne?
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC

Merlot + Cab Franc?
    Riesling + White Zin?
    Sake + Champagne?
    ROFLMAO!!!

Funnily enough I am not as crazily adventurous with my booze as I am with my frags - unless it's a cocktail. Then, anything goes! One of my favourite cocktails is a Zombie.

My current tastes run to shorts (brandy, Jamaican rum (Golden, overproof), liqueurs and single malts) as well as my usual dry whites, champagne, cava, gin & tonic, martini (classic & vodka). Some of my favourite scents echo these aromatic liquors: Joop Joop! Femme (brandy), Givenchy Oblique Rewind (Cherry brandy), Guerlain Mitsouko parfum (Armangnac(?)), Royal Secret II (mead / liqueur), Cacharel Gloria (Amaretto), CDG Wood Coffee (Kahlua / Tia Ma), Demeter Champagne Brut, Etro Etra (cosmopolitan cocktail), Houbigant Demi Jour (Champagne / sparkling dry white)...

Blog Entries

Merlot + Cab Franc?
    Riesling + White Zin?
    Sake + Champagne?
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Merlot + Cab Franc?
    Riesling + White Zin?
    Sake + Champagne?
    Hehehe!! LIMA OSCAR LIMA!

O.K. you layerers.
    Time to march on down to Ernie Gallo's Fragrance Abuse Clinic.
    Ready? Hup two three four, hup two three four...