Code of Conduct

Talking Suggestions on a gift fragrance for the girlfriend?

I know people's tastes in scents are incredibly individual but I'm looking for suggestions of things to try - not necessarily buy blind. Ideally, I'll order a batch of samples/decants and help her find something she (and I) both enjoy. We've been dating for a bit over a year and while she DOES enjoy the fact I always (or at least ALMOST always ) smell nice, she finds my "obsession" with fragrances and my ever growing wardrobe a bit odd to say the very least. I'll try my best to describe her and perhaps somebody could give me a few suggestions on where to start as I'm relatively clueless when it comes to a lot of the fragrances marketed more towards women.

She currently wears:
    Burberry London (her current favorite that she wears most often)
    Armani - Sensi (she said she knew she loved it but couldn't find it anywhere - I got her this one for Christmas)
    Fresh: Cannabis Santal (I gave her my sample and she loved it - bought her a nice sized decant as a stocking stuffer)
    Polo Blue for women

She HATES CK Escape for women (sad really, as for some reason I positively love this one) and she absolutely loathes that Body Fantasies Fresh White Musk (haha I also for some reason like this one, although I used it as a febreeze substitute and spritzed it on the filter of my air conditioner..)

A couple of MY scents that she's commented on liking are Etro - Mahogany, Creed - Tabarome Millesime, L'Artisan - Timbuktu, Dzonghka, and Passage d'Enfer (she wore each of them once and I though they were absolutely amazing on her but she didn't seem all that enthralled with any of them) Le Labo Vetiver 46, Gucci PH, CDG Kyoto & Quarzazate.

I also know she owns a 100ml bottle of the original and now discontinued Guess? perfume (the dark brownish red one in the triangular twisted bottle) It's about 85% full and she said she liked it at one time but has "had her time with it" and doesn't wear it anymore. (I'm trying to convince her to give it to me so I can decant it considering it's been discontinued for awhile )

She also gave me a full 1.7oz bottle of Black Cashmere and asked if I could "get rid of it on that cologne message board you are always reading" haha She said she liked it on someone else but didn't care for it once she tried it on herself.

I know she also wore patchouli oil and sandalwood oil for years as her primary fragrance. She also adores Nag Champa incense, the Sandalwood scented candles that are sold at Target (some Target house brand of candles) and amazingly enough says she really likes things that smell kind of like "bugspray" but in a good way, as well as warm, earthy, tobacco scents. She does NOT like floral/fruity and said she doesn't prefer gourmand scents. (it surprised me a bit she enjoyed Cannabis Santal & doesn't mind A*men on me)

As far as a personal description - well, she's a far cry from your "typical gal". She's 32, about to graduate college with a business degree, she spits alot, cusses like a sailor, drives a 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle which she works on herself (last time she was over I commented that she smelled "interesting" and asked what she was wearing and her response was "transmission fluid, it's in my hair and its hard to wash out"), has several tattoos including one which covers her entire chest area, is mildly obsessed with 1950's fashion and pinup girls, but she's also very much a lady, and an amazing one at that - and I'm very much in love with her.. :-D

The male discussion board has seen alot of "What would so-and-so wear..." threads. Given the girl I've described, what would you picture HER wearing? any suggestions on places to start or scents to look into are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ab74; 16th February 2007 at 07:10 AM.

Default Re: Suggestions on a gift fragrance for the girlfriend?

She reminds me of a friend of mine.... I wonder if she might like Guerlain Samsara(since she likes sandalwood) and maybe Le baiser du dragon by Cartier(.Of some reason I can also picture Shalimar on her.Anyway,good luck with your chaseHope you find something she loves

She sounds really interesting and unique. For some reason I also picture Shalimar on her. What about Chanel Cuir de Russie? She might like that one.

Good luck.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I've read alot of reviews of Tabac Blond and know alot of folks consider it a classic favorite. Does this sound like something worth considering as well??

Maybe Samsara or Coco Mademoiselle. Most people like Tabac Blond, but I don't like tobacco at all. Why not take her sniff shopping or give her a variety of samples?

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    Why not take her sniff shopping or give her a variety of samples?
    I may go the lots of samples/decants route but sniff shopping is absolutely out of the question. She lives in a town with a population of under 25,000 and the ONLY place which sells fragrances is a chain pharmacy and the local grocery store.

Sadly, my town isn't much better - we do have a Macy's but I'm kind of hoping to find something a bit more uncommon and niche. One of the things I love about basenotes is that it's exposed me to so many truly amazing scents that I never would have stumbled upon or had access to in department store. It really opened my nose to how much is truly "out there" when it comes to fragrances and I'm hoping to share a bit of that magic with her.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

bleu autumn haze

Would you consider Prada? I know, sounds crazy since she doesn't really sound like she would wear Prada clothing ... but I was thinking with the patchouli and sandalwood notes handled in a modern, contemporary way, this might appeal to her independent side, but the old-fashioned atomizer style of the bottle and the pale pink juice might call to the 50's pin-up girl in her soul.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

What about L'Artisan Patchouli Patch? Or Voleur des Roses (spelling?).
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryFemme
    What about L'Artisan Patchouli Patch? Or Voleur des Roses (spelling?).
    Well those are certainly possibilities considering I've been wanting to check both of them out for myself.. I did let her try Profumum's Patchouli as well as Le Labo's Patchouli 24 and she said they both smelled "nice" but didn't seem crazy about either of them. I also encouraged her to try wearing MPG's Secret Melange but she didn't seem too excited about it. She did seem to like Dzing! a bit. I guess when it comes down to it I just have to accept that "I" am the one who's crazy about fragrances and it's not always possible to get other people as interested in exploring them.. I'm sure some of you ladies have significant others who aren't all that interested in wearing fragrances and have felt the same way at times.

Thanks a million for all the suggestions!

OMG!! Love this thread!

As I read your first post, my first thought was that this woman was so lucky to have a guy so invested in her - my second thought was that the affair was doooomed - my third thought was "Hang onto this woman! She sure sounds like I keeper!!" :bounce:

You're knowledgeable so you know how to send away for samples and which online sellers have decants of the niches. I'm thinking Tuberose Criminelle (Lutens) which starts out smelling like a garage. Or CdeG Odeur 71. Ava-Luxe has several pin-up girl frags - Madame X - Film Noire.

Please let us know how this works out!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Le Baiser du Dragon is perfect for her!
    I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.-Anais Nin

Wow, your description of this woman is fantastic! I picture her wearing Moschino by Moschino because its sexy without being too sweet or 'girly' and its not a run-of-the-mill fragrance, its kind of different and funky.

try tobacco caramel by Fresh- she won't spit this out.

Angry Re: Suggestions on a gift fragrance for the girlfriend?

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input however...

I got dumped tonight

Apparently breaking up via cell phone text message is all the rage these days - even after nearly 2 years of devotion.

Again, thanks for everyone's input - it was genuinely appreciated.

bleu autumn haze

Quote Originally Posted by Ab74
    I sincerely appreciate everyone's input however...

I got dumped tonight

Apparently breaking up via cell phone text message is all the rage these days - even after nearly 2 years of devotion.

Again, thanks for everyone's input - it was genuinely appreciated.
    Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that ...

Text messages are great and fun, but definately NOT the way to break up with someone ... that's just not right ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Oh crap - I was about to respond to your original post, and I was so sorry to read your later one.

I suggest you buy a bottle of something far too expensive for yourself to cheer things up.
    Last edited by Squeezeweasel; 1st March 2007 at 09:47 PM.

I actually bought a few things in hopes of "cheering myself up" - Decants of CDG Sequoia & Palisander..

Didn't work as well as I'd hoped.. I may be depressed but at least I smell pretty good!

Thanks again for all the recommendations everyone!

so sorry that is crappy not the way to break up and so unfair ok go out and get yourself something fabulous like Bond Wall St and forget her i doubt she was worth it and go on stutting your stuff someone will find you adorable and wonderful.