Code of Conduct

Default Fleurs de Bulgarie: whisky tango foxtrot?

Good morning-

I was looking up Creed's Fleurs de Bulgarie in the BN directory and almost gasped as I saw the staggering two-star rating that it displayed. What made it even more strange was the four-star longevity. I don't think I've ever seen a rating combo like that.

As you may or may not know, I am a big fan of rose-based scents AND ambergris, and it sounds like Fleurs de Bulgarie might be just right for me (or some lucky lady). The two stars thing kind of threw me off, though- is this just a glitch in the system? By the sounds of the reviews both here and on other sites, Fleurs de Bulgarie sounds like a real winner.

I hate to second-guess the BN rating system, but I have to ask: How many stars do you think Fleurs de Bulgarie should receive?

Thanks-
    ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Default Re: Fleurs de Bulgarie: whisky tango foxtrot?

"whisky tango foxtrot" LOL

Sorry, can't comment on the FdB....have never sniffed it but rose and ambergris sounds like a deadly (in a good way) combo.

I don't know Fleurs de Bulgarie, but I just now realized what whisky tango foxtrot means. Tee, hee!

Basenotes Plus

I love FdB!!! :bounce:

Sure it's got amazing longevity but what's the use of that if it doesn't smell wonderful.

Be assured, FdB DOES smell wonderful.

Like a lot of others here, I tend to add my fragrances to my wardrobe & then not bother ranking the scents. Bad, Mama!

I need to correct that.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    Good morning-

I was looking up Creed's Fleurs de Bulgarie in the BN directory and almost gasped as I saw the staggering two-star rating that it displayed. What made it even more strange was the four-star longevity. I don't think I've ever seen a rating combo like that.

As you may or may not know, I am a big fan of rose-based scents AND ambergris, and it sounds like Fleurs de Bulgarie might be just right for me (or some lucky lady). The two stars thing kind of threw me off, though- is this just a glitch in the system? By the sounds of the reviews both here and on other sites, Fleurs de Bulgarie sounds like a real winner.

I hate to second-guess the BN rating system, but I have to ask: How many stars do you think Fleurs de Bulgarie should receive?
    Basenotes: Fragrance Ratings (from the "what does this mean" dropdown menu)

The Basenotes Ratings are based on the following:
    Views Ranking: Five stars indicate that the page of this fragrance is popular. One star indicates that the page isn't viewed very often.
    Rating: The rating is based on the mean average of Basenotes members' ratings in their wardrobes.
    Longevity: The longevity rating is based on the mean average of Basenotes members' ratings in their wardrobes.

Personally I give it four for "rating" and three for longevity. Want to try the Tea Rose - but I have problems with longevity in some Creeds ANYWAY.

Hope this helps to clarify! :bounceJust got your WTF.....tee hee hee :bounce::bounce
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Like another excellent "feminine" Creed, Jasmin Eugenie, Fleurs de Bulgarie is a bit deceptive in that its not THAT feminine.

Jasmin Eugenie has a drydown which is all about sandalwood, while FdB has a potent ambergris drydown. Pity that despite the fact that I love how they smell, I may never buy a bottle just because of the feminine sounding names...

Unlike many Serge Lutens fragrances (which have craploads of fans here on the female board), many Creed offerings for women get ignored, and barely have 3-4 reviews each...which might be a bit misleading. Check out the ratings on makeupalley.com, which have more than 3 reviews per fragrances for most womens Creed fragrances..
    Last edited by zztopp; 16th February 2007 at 11:59 PM.
    -

heheeh... I haven't smelled Fleurs de Bulgarie, so I can't help there, but I heartily approve of the phonetic alphabet spelling of WTF. LIMA OSCAR LIMA

I just tried FdB today, and it is a truly lovely rose fragrance. I don't like rose fragrances, though I love smelling the flowers, because, well, I don't know why! The two that have broken my "no rose perfume barrier" are Rosine's Zeste de Rose and FdB. Definitely give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    heheeh... I haven't smelled Fleurs de Bulgarie, so I can't help there, but I heartily approve of the phonetic alphabet spelling of WTF. LIMA OSCAR LIMA
    I give up - what means LIMA OSCAR LIMA??
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    I give up - what means LIMA OSCAR LIMA??
    LOL

OBBDD!!!

Sorry, did not even try FdB. It this really a scent someone like me, who dislikes rosescents (but loves her amber), could learn to love?
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

The star rating system always takes second place to the actual comments about the perfumes because people write their reasons for giving the ratings that they give.

Fleurs de The Rose Bulgarie smelled like very real roses to me.
    Yet, it had some creative fruitiness and spiciness so that it wasn't just a boring imitation of a rose. I think it should have great popular appeal, as it smells light and airy, floral and pleasant. I could never see it being overpowering or objectionable.

I don't rate it as highly as some people because, personally, I like heavier fragrances. This is extremely better than just about any other rose fragrance commonly sold in department stores. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes the "typical" weight and characteristics of most women's perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11
    I don't know Fleurs de Bulgarie, but I just now realized what whisky tango foxtrot means. Tee, hee!
    and here I was thinking that "whiskey tango foxtrot" was in some way descriptive of the notes of this fragracne and thought, "Wow, sounds exotic! _ May have to try that one!"
    boozy, smoky , spicy with rhythmic accord, or something....
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    and here I was thinking that "whiskey tango foxtrot" was in some way descriptive of the notes of this fragracne and thought, "Wow, sounds exotic! _ May have to try that one!"
    Heh... it's part of the phonetic alphabet. WTF of course means "What the f*$k". On the radio when you're spelling something out it's easier to use the phonetic alphabet, and in my department we use the standard NATO alphabet if we have to spell something out on the radio:

A = Alpha
    B = Bravo
    C = Charlie
    D = Delta
    E = Echo
    F = Foxtrot
    G = Golf
    H = Hotel
    I = India
    J = Juliett
    K = Kilo
    L = Lima
    M = Mike
    N = November
    O = Oscar
    P = Papa
    Q = Quebec
    R = Romeo
    S = Sierra
    T = Tango
    U = Uniform
    V = Victor
    W = Whiskey
    X = X-ray
    Y = Yankee
    Z = Zulu

It's handy, too, if you're spelling something for someone, and they say "Was that an (unintelligible sound that could be an F or S), and you can reply, "No, that's F as in Foxtrot."

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    ME TOO!!

the 1980 version. there were two versions?
    I'm testing the FdB from a Creed vial. I grew roses for years and there are very few things in life more satisfying than growing roses.

I did the Serge Lutens thing and now I'm obsessed with Creed.
    If they had the ear of Queen Victoria her own self,
    I wonder, why did they move to Paris?
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 18th February 2007 at 04:45 PM.