Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Best Fragrances for Gay Men?

I was wondering what some of you might suggest as the best fragrances for gay men? Several years ago, a company called "Quest International" released something called "Q" that was marketed to gay men specifically, but I've NEVER been able to find it and am not even sure that it's still being made.

I'm thinking perhaps Yves Saint Laurent's M7, but that's due more to the sexiness of the nude guy in the ad campaign than anything about the fragrance itself (which I haven't actually tried yet).

Oh, yes, this is a SERIOUS question: I appreciate humor as much as the next guy, but please keep the cheeky responses (such as "Anything by Calvin Klein") to a minimum! ;-)

Thanks!
    Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 16th February 2007 at 08:49 PM.

Default Re: Best Fragrances for Gay Men?

I always wonder about these sorts of questions, just because when ones says something as esoteric as fragrance is "targeted" at gay guys, it almost seems to connote that there is some sort of underlying "gaydom" that can be peaked with a fragrance.

Just going by what most of my gay friends own, I'd say Gaultier Le Male. And, it seems that anytime I'm at a boutique where there is a 40 y.o. + gay sales associate, he's always wearing Le Male.

Anyway, personally I don't wear Le Male, but I'm drawn to more earthy, warm fragrances that "blend" with a man's own body chemistry rather than mask it in deodorizers (like AdG, Miyake, etc.). As such, this is one reason I've always loved Helmut Lang EDC/EDP, Knize Ten, Gucci PH, Rose Poivree, CSP L'eau de Gouverneur, or in summer Hermes Eau d'orange verte, Montale Greyland, PdN Cologne Sologne, MPG Racine, or Malle Bigarade concentree.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

In my very humble opinion...I've never found any fragrance that equates to being specifically gay. Of course there are many male perfumes that smell more "feminine" than others but I don't think that makes it gay as such.

On another note, in the gay clubs here the ones that are very popular are Le Male, A*men, D&G Masculine and Fahrenheit. I think it's more the sillage that plays an important role (for me at least), as is experienced with all of the mentioned ones.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I'm not trying to be cheeky ... but I can't think of just "one" fragrance. There seems to be as much diversity within the gay community as anywhere else so it's hard to think of a single fragrance that may appeal to every gay man.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

I think gay or straight, you just wear what you like. If you are comfortable in it and don't overspray, others (male or female) will appreciate your confidence and attention to detail.

Scent is way overrated in attracting others..it is a finishing touch. If you are charming, nice and present yourself well, then gay or straight, you are going to get attention.

I think gay men tend to get on a bandwagon more than others though with a trend. So you may smell a group of scents more often on gay men than maybe with other groups.

barry

People should actually choose their frags in terms of who they sleep with? Damn. I never knew that.
    So according to Quest, a gay and straight person cannot wear the same frags, then?

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    Just going by what most of my gay friends own, I'd say Gaultier Le Male. And, it seems that anytime I'm at a boutique where there is a 40 y.o. + gay sales associate, he's always wearing Le Male.
    It must be the bottle. Thats the first frag that came to my mind although I didn't even try Le Male.

Just going by what most of my gay friends own, I'd say Gaultier Le Male.
    Thanks for the suggestion, rach2jlc! You know, I've always shied away from Le Mâle, because I understand that Cuba Gold smells like that. I have a bottle of Cuba Gold and don't really like it very much. It's not quite as bad as Caron Pour un Homme, but it's so thick and sweet that it almost nauseates me.

I was thinking maybe something flowery, like L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses perhaps? The problem with that one is it's WAY TOO OVERPRICED.

I would also try Bond No. 9's Fire Island (for obvious reasons!), but the same objection applies: unreasonable price.

The Rose Poivrée that you mentioned sounds interesting. . .

I do wear Guerlain's Shalimar from time to time, and a cheap knock-off of YSL's Opium (for Women) that I got at Walgreens. The latter is good and strong, just like I like my fragrances to be! ;-)

Thanks again for your input!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Odorifera
    I'm not trying to be cheeky ... but I can't think of just "one" fragrance. There seems to be as much diversity within the gay community as anywhere else so it's hard to think of a single fragrance that may appeal to every gay man.
    Very good point! Although, Elizabeth Taylor's Passion for Men would probably have wide appeal among gays: it's strong with good sillage, and rather floral (jasmine). It's very, very affordable and, most important of all, it's from Elizabeth Taylor! That last one alone should be enough to attract LOTS of gay men! Now I'm being cheeky myself! ;-)
    Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 16th February 2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Luca30
    It must be the bottle. Thats the first frag that came to my mind although I didn't even try Le Male.
    ...and also Gaultier's fashion aesthetic has long been a staple in the gay community. Not to mention that if you look at many of the Le Male advertisements... beefy shaven pretty-boy sailors looking poutily at the viewer... I don't think we're exactly talking Old Spice.

I think Prada's new fragrance, Gaultier 2, Body Kouros are worn alot.
    But maybe that is with the 'club' crowd...Gay men grow up to live longer than 25 I believe...so they surely wear something other than the sweet frags right?

Blog Entries

My gay male friends sometimes come over to my place to spray some of my cologne on before we go out, hehehe. Some of my friends' faves are Kenneth Cole Reaction, Clinique Happy, John Varvatos, Chanel Allure Sport, Givenchy Pi, Azzaro Chrome, and back when I owned it......Curve.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Well I'm gay and I hate all the Gaultier fragrances, especially Le Male, which is abolutely vile to my nose. I also detest the bottle design, and would never like to have such a monstrosity on my shelf.

I choice fragrances that are find nice, and never go on what 'everyone else' is claimed to be wearing. I do a great deal of testing -- on strips, on skin etc, and get free samples wherever I can, only buying stuff that really impresses me, and my wardrobe is very modest (needs to be updated, will do soon).

Fragrances I love are such as Ormonde Jayne Isfarkand, L'Homme de Coeur and L'Homme Sage, both by Divine, and of course my ultimate fragrance, the incomparable Terre d'Hermès.

I suppose 'Divine' could be interpreted as potentially camp , but I assure readers I did not buy it for the name.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sinij chas
    People should actually choose their frags in terms of who they sleep with? Damn. I never knew that.
    So according to Quest, a gay and straight person cannot wear the same frags, then?
    Oh, I think it's kind of the same as with "male" and "female" scents. Of course, anybody can wear either, if you even believe there are such things, but the companies still market them that way. So why not market some fragrances to gay guys? You just choose your niche, do your focus group thing, and advertise in the outlets where you get the type of exposure you want. That's what they do with soi-disant male and female scents.

Of course, some people won't wear secents that are too obviously associated with the opposite sex, for fear they might be thought to be sexually ambiguous. It would probably be the same if some products were marketed mainly to gay men; I guess a lot of str8 guys wouldn't want to wear them, would freak out if somebody gave them one as a gift, etc. Maybe it isn't done because companies want the whole male market, and not just one segment of it...

In this connection, I've often wondered if Cumming was mainly intended for a gay clientele, judging by the name, advertising, and so on...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I'm not trying to be a downer, but I can't help but feel that this question is somewhat ridiculous. There is no "best fragrance" for anyone, let alone a gay man. Maybe if you explained what you are looking for in regards to being gay it would help, but I doubt you want people making generalizations based on stereotypes about what gay people might think or like and just making blind recommendations. Sorry if I'm horribly misunderstanding the question, maybe you can help clear things up.
    And just so you don't get led down the wrong path, Voleur de Roses really isn't flowery at all. It's got more of an earthy vibe. Also, you'll realize that with some exceptions the most highly scents around here tend to be on the expensive side. Within no time you'll think a $70 bottle is a bargain!

I agree with Giraffe. But still.. why not Cumming? I mean, it DID have gay inspiration. And that video, oh where is that..

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB

In this connection, I've often wondered if Cumming was mainly intended for a gay clientele, judging by the name, advertising, and so on...
    I can't speak for others, I can speak only for myself, but if they think that the vision of a nude Alan Cumming is going to entice me to purchase ANYTHING, then they are sorely mistaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew
    I can't speak for others, I can speak only for myself, but if they think that the vision of a nude Alan Cumming is going to entice me to purchase ANYTHING, then they are sorely mistaken!
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    I'm not trying to be a downer, but I can't help but feel that this question is somewhat ridiculous.
    I'm sorry if you thought that my question was ridiculous, Giraffe. It wasn't intended to be. I didn't want to be so crass as to ask, "Okay, who here is a gay man and which are your favorite fragrances?"

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew
    ROTFLOL!

Well, he can be glad that "everybody is somebody's type," as they say...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Red rag/bull ahoy!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    Red rag/bull ahoy!
    ¿Corrida? ¿Dónde hay corrida?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Let's follow this idea to its logical - or illogical - exteme. What are the best fragrances for cat lovers? Albanians? Stutterers? Mercenaries? Narcolepts? Jains? Numismatists? (Or alternatively, let's ask, What kind of appetizers do gay men eat?)

I'm kind of curious: exactly what qualities are supposed to be endemic to and universal in gay men, and how are they translatable into fragrance appropriateness? Does the gay gene - if it exists - confer a preference for loud, flamboyant, Technicolor,or "feminine" fragrances? Maybe we need another BN category to accompany M, F, Unisex?

The Basenotes membership, from what I can see, is composed of a healthy mix of nationalities, sexual orientations, interests, idiosyncrasies, preferences, and passions. Any attempt to universalize a taste among some segment of it - men, women, gay men, lesbians, whatever - is one more step toward the kind of stereotyping that results in, on one hand, "Real Men Don't Wear Serge Lutens" threads, and on the other, the kind of cultural cliches that people of various ethnic and social groups have been trying to shake off for decades. It is, shall we say, neither helpful nor interesting.

Let me climb down from my soapbox and give the last word to Miss Manners, who was ahead of her time on these issues. A reader once submitted this apparently perplexing question to her, and her memorable answer followed:

Q: Dear Miss Manners: What is the proper thing to say when introduced to a gay couple?
    A: Say "How do you do? How do you do?"
    Last edited by Morgan Creek; 16th February 2007 at 11:56 PM.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Creek
    Let's follow this idea to its logical - or illogical - exteme. What are the best fragrances for cat lovers? Albanians? Stutterers? Mercenaries? Narcolepts? Jains? Numismatists? (Or alternatively, let's ask, What kind of appetizers do gay men eat?)

I'm kind of curious: exactly what qualities are supposed to be endemic to and universal in gay men, and how are they translatable into fragrance appropriateness? Does the gay gene - if it exists - confer a preference for loud, flamboyant, Technicolor,or "feminine" fragrances? Maybe we need another BN category to accompany M, F, Unisex?

The Basenotes membership, from what I can see, is composed of a healthy mix of nationalities, sexual orientations, interests, idiosyncracies, preferences, and passions. Any attempt to universalize a taste among some segment of it - men, women, gay men, lesbians, whatever - is one more step toward the kind of stereotyping that results in, on one hand, "Real Men Don't Wear Serge Lutens" threads, and on the other, the kind of cultural cliches that people of various ethnic and social groups have been trying to shake off for decades. It is, shall we say, neither helpful nor interesting.

Let me climb down from my soapbox and give the last word to Miss Manners, who was ahead of her time on these issues. A reader once submitted this apparently perplexing question to her, and her memorable answer followed:

Q: Dear Miss Manners: What is the proper thing to say when introduced to a gay couple?
    Of course, you are correct. If you look at my post history, you'll see usually I'm the one who jumps in on these threads and makes a post like yours (albeit yours is worded so nicely!!!)

But, with this thread, it seems like the original poster was asking harmlessly enough, or innocently enough. There have been times when threads were created that were far from harmless and far from innocent, and rightly so a large debate came out of it (and, I think, the threads eventually got deleted).

Anyway, I think you are right; there is as much diversity within homosexuality as within heterosexuality, and the assumption that there would be a blanket gay scent is inherently flawed, just like it would be flawed to assume all gay guys listen to Judy Garland, hang matching curtains, and say things like "You're the living end."

BUT, since I agree with you that the point is to get to a status of equality, as many threads as there are about "what scent do chicks dig," we might as well entertain those in the opposite. What's good for the goose, of course...
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 16th February 2007 at 10:10 PM.

Rach2jlc,
    You said it perfectly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Creek
    Hehehe, that reminds me of another one...I think it was a question to Ann Landers. The writer was all mad 'cause a gay couple moved in the neighborhood and how mad the writer was because the neighborhood was going downhill. The writer asked Ann Landers (I think) how he/she could improve the neighborhood. The response? "Move."

Anyways, sorry for going off topic.

I really don't mind these questions as long as people remain respectful. I mean...there was no controversy when there was a thread about what frags everyones pets seemed to like...

If people have no interest in this type of thread, that's the good thing about message boards, they can just skip it & go onto something else .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

If not now, when?

Love your member name, Pepe le Pew...

Okay, I'm gay & I LOVE the following frags...however I have also found straight men, straight women, lesbians & transexuals (in and out of Basenotes) who love them too:

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes (it's marketed as a womans fragrance - try it next time you're at Sephora [remember it's ELIXIR des Merveilles, not the more popular Eau des Merveilles]

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens (stick around BaseNotes for a few months Pepe le Pew...and you're bound to read about this scent & all of our comments (love/hate) on this. Believe the hype!)

Un Jardin Sur le Nil by Hermes (try it at Sephora too...but wait about 1-2 hours AFTER you spray it & then tell me if you've ever smelled anything by Calvin Klein like this before...Also Hermes markets this as a unisex scent (!) )

Some "stereotypical" fragrances that are marketed to the gays that I DO NOT LIKE:

Anything by Calvin Klein after Eternity...I'm just not interested anymore (sorry all you CK lovers out there)

Le Male (do not like the powder note!)

Most of the Dolce & Gabbana frags (except for Light Blue) - just too...boring!

My thoughts on "advertising" marketed to the gay crowd:

I see it more & more, lot's of muscled, sexy male images in gay print media & ads (has anyone seen those new Ice*men ads for the new Thierry Mugler scent...Greg Plint [already a nice online gay fan base] and those huge biceps in the ad reaching for the bottle...) - but sexy ad, or not I still gotta like the scent
    Currently wearing: Etra by Etro

Of course, you are correct. If you look at my post history, you'll see usually I'm the one who jumps in on these threads and makes a post like yours (albeit yours is worded so nicely!!!)

But, with this thread, it seems like the original poster was asking harmlessly enough, or innocently enough. There have been times when threads were created that were far from harmless and far from innocent, and rightly so a large debate came out of it (and, I think, the threads eventually got deleted).

Anyway, I think you are right; there is as much diversity within homosexuality as within heterosexuality, and the assumption that there would be a blanket gay scent is inherently flawed. BUT, since I agree with you that the point is to get to a status of equality, as many threads as there are about "what scent do chicks dig," we might as well entertain those in the opposite. What's good for the goose, of course...
    John, I take your point, but maybe by now the Digging Chicks have a little less baggage to unload where stereotypes are concerned than they once had, and that other groups are still burdened with. The women here might disagree. Honestly, my knee doesn't jerk that often - even for all the "What would Millard Fillmore wear?" -type posts.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

I remember Antaeus was popular with gays, but mostly because of the dudes in the ad campaign. Someone mentioned in a review that Body Kouros was big, but I can't fathom why. (Other than it's quality.)

It seems like YSL stuff gets advertised with a lot of naked guys. I can just imagine Yves Saint Laurent rolling in his grave over that

I had a gay friend who wore Chrome to a New Year's party. Which basically says that orientation means nothing in terms of cologne choice. Some scents might seems gay cause of their ads (D+G, Le Male, Versus, whatever...), but it doesn't mean anything.

Of course, I'm straight, so who am I to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Echo777
    It seems like YSL stuff gets advertised with a lot of naked guys. I can just imagine Yves Saint Laurent rolling in his grave over that
    I'm not sure if you're just joking (the winky smiley in there makes me wonder), but YSL is still very much alive. He's retired, but still kickin'...

Also, the controversial M7 ad was actually an homage to an earlier photograph of YSL himself in which he was nude. Just do a google image search and you'll see Yves in all his... ummm... glory. Not to mention that the guy in the picture was intended to be less gay than he was simply a depiction of open male beauty. He actually didn't fit into any of the typical "gay male" advertising stereotypes (look at D&G and Gaultier for those).

Finally, Morgan Creek, as I said before you are absolutely right and we are in agreement. Also, Millard Fillmore would clearly wear Canoe. More on topic, though, what would Johan Paulik wear???

Lightbulb Re: Best Fragrances for Gay Men?

Everything I've read seems accurate in terms of diversity of taste across gender and orientation.

To further the matter there are also members of both genders that are unafraid to wear scents intended for their opposite sex. Immediate to my mind are a male friend who wore womens "Navy" (albeit lightly) and came across quite masculine, and then there my mom who loved my "Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme" and wore it very well.

However there is only one other scent I can add to this thread that has not been mentioned and was created as a strictly "gay male" fragrance, as it was desingned for men with male pheromones. The scent is "Ten by Intense". It is a pleasantly clean, slightly green fragrance, Not overbearing or flowery at all. It's priced around $40 and can be found at Kleptomaniac.com ( a "gay male" oriented eseller). They also have an unscented version called "N10Z" (Intense), that could be worn with your chosen scent.