Code of Conduct

Default matching deodorants worth the $$$?

i was thinking of buying matching deodorants for my Guess Man and Platinum Egoiste. they bothy cost about 18 dollars....

a stick of 3 oz axe lasts me about 1 month..so.. not sure if its worth it to spend that much for deodorant (GM is 3 oz too, but PE is 2.5 oz). of course, I WONT USE THEM DAILY, only when I wear the cologne with it...which will be once or twice a week.

does matching deodorant make any difference or should i just go unscented deodorant?

thanks

Default Re: matching deodorants worth the $$$?

Unscented. Save your money unless you find a bar at TJMaxx for $4 (I found some M7 deodorant there once and it was well worth it... but besides that)...
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I see absolutely no reason not to buy them. I'm not talking about getting a matching deo for every single perfume you have, but the ones you use steadily and will use for a good while. It's not like you use twice the deodorant if you use a scented one, only difference is it takes shelf-space with more than one. Doesnt matter if you over a period of time use 15 unscented ones or 15 different perfumed ones, does it? This is of course assuming that there's no great price difference, which it isn't for me at least.

I have no idea about Norway, but one in the US can get a decent unscented deodorant for about $3-5. The designer ones will run $18-40, depending on the brand. That's a big price difference...

If you are accustomed to spending that much for regular cologne, then it's fine. BUT, the member in question here is still in school and probably could use that extra for a lot more useful things (or for expanding his fragrance wardrobe... for the price difference, he could almost get a whole new bottle from an online retailer like scentiments).

I agree with rach2jlc. Save your money. $18-$40 a pop is ridiculous imo. Unless you can get them real cheap, or in a gift set, just get yourself an unscented deodorant. I use Mitchum unscented, love the stuff...and it's more effective than any designer deodorant I've tried.
    Last edited by DJB; 17th February 2007 at 02:05 AM.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

I think I payed $65 for the last unscented I bought. The last scented I bought was about $50, polo black. And yeah prices are nuts here

Quote Originally Posted by mrinsano
    I think I payed $65 for the last unscented I bought. The last scented I bought was about $50, polo black. And yeah prices are nuts here
    Wow! I think I would just go "natural" if deodorant was going to set me back that much...

I don't know why this is turning into a debate of whether it is worth the money or not, because past topics have focused on the plain fact that designer deodorants are not antiperspirants and can't seem to hold their own against sweat. If designer deodorants were worth the money I would buy them, but they simply aren't. I have found that even if I sweat mildly (ex. hot room), the designer deodorant quickly turns rancid and actually smells worse than if I hadn't applied anything in the first place! Honestly, I wouldn't buy even buy a Creed deodorant if it had the same effects of the designer offerings. Unless a frag has terrible sillage/longevity, just stick with the juice and buy an unscented stick.

I haven't really noticed that, then again I don't sweat that much either way.

But either way, that point is only valid if you want to stop sweat. Personaly I don't want to stop the sweat, I just want to remove the odour and I've had no trouble with that using a designer deodorant, nor have I had one turn rancid on me.

Remember that sweat, especialy from the armpits, has a lot of those pheromones that are an important part of the whole attraction process. In my book there's nothing wrong with a little sweat as long as it doesn't smell. Of course I live in norway so we don't have those hot summers, or at least to the same degree as most other countries.

Just get Mitchum.

Read this in a magazine and it works wonders. Put your deo/anti on at night, before bed. No more stains or sweat. Works wonders and the deodorent scent is gone by morning. I use Adidas for what its worth.
    -iStink

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I don't know why this is turning into a debate of whether it is worth the money or not, because past topics have focused on the plain fact that designer deodorants are not antiperspirants and can't seem to hold their own against sweat. If designer deodorants were worth the money I would buy them, but they simply aren't. I have found that even if I sweat mildly (ex. hot room), the designer deodorant quickly turns rancid and actually smells worse than if I hadn't applied anything in the first place! Honestly, I wouldn't buy even buy a Creed deodorant if it had the same effects of the designer offerings. Unless a frag has terrible sillage/longevity, just stick with the juice and buy an unscented stick.
    Pretty much agree here. A designer deodorant that allows the sweat and tries to mask it with the scent really is worthless. Unscented Mitchum (mentioned in a few posts) works for me. If you need something really strong to stop wetness and odor try Lab Series deodorant.

Well, my $0.02 here:

For some scents, the deo stick may be worth it... especially if you can get it cheaply at TJ Maxx or Marshall's or the like. I find that the Baldessarini deo really helps, as the stick's scent outlasts the cologne and complements it quite well. The same goes for M7- I love the stick because it is really hard and long-lasting, and smells wonderful.

Now about the whole antiperspirant thing- I'm an excessive sweater, and Mitchum didn't cut it for me. I started using a product called Certain Dri- you put it on at night, and your armpits will not sweat. You still need a deodorant, but the wetness is gone. I have a few matching deo sticks, and a few generic ones that I use to match the character of the scent that I'm wearing as best as possible. Of course, there are the people out there who avoid aluminum-containing products at all cost, so if you are one, Certain Dri is not for you. If you don't mind, this stuff can change your life if you sweat like crazy!

I think it depends on your financial situation. If you are going to miss that $30 then I wouldn't bother with the matching deodorant. But if $30 isn't a big deal then I'll say that for me it has fun to have matching deodorant. I've never worn anti-perspirant so I don't need to worry about that issue.

And you don't need to stop there. The body gel and aftershave are just as much fun as the deodorant!

The best deo for me has been Old Spice Heavy Endurance.
    -

but it's fun
    and it matches your favorite scents
    hahaha
    i am willing to buy the dior homme....

imagine gaultier2 or a sweet smelling scent as a deo....
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.