Code of Conduct

Question Hamburg, Germany

I will be visiting Hamburg in mid-April. I am staying near the Hamburg Messe, very close to the train station. Can anyone recommend some stores for fragrances that I should visit while I am there? I am familiar with the Mönckebergstraße, so I would prefer to stay within this area if possible. Thank you for your advice!

Default Re: Hamburg, Germany

Just a wee update on Hamburg...

The best outlet of niche perfumes I came across in Hamburg was:

HARALD LUBNER
    Grosse Bleichen 23
    Hamburg

They stocked an excellent variety of fragrance and perfumed products for the home. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Just a portion of their stock included:
    Montale, Diptyque, Byredo, Frederic Malle, Esteban, Etro, Miller Harris, Escentric Molecules, Parfums Generale, Robert Piguet, Marc Buxton, Creed and so on.

On the flipside, the highly touted Perfumerie at Hamburger Hof - whilst boasting a staggering range - had sales staff who were rude and pretentious and made you feel looked down upon. Despite my knowledge of their range being really rather vast, I couldn't help but feel my insights and opinions were insignificant and somehow tiresome to their ears. As a result I pocketed the €300 I had planned to spend on Washington Tremlett and Mona d'Orio and exited the store toute suite!

Thank you for the information on Harald Lubner, Dimitri . I will be back in Hamburg in May of this year, and I'll certainly be visiting this shop. Will probably visit the Perfumerie at Hamburger Hof just to see their selection.

The Alsterhaus (Jungfernstieg) has a wall with niche scents. It's not all that shiny presented, but there are quite a lot of niche brands and you won't be bothered by anyone if you just want to take a look around. There are testers of even very pricy stuff like the Amouage perfumes. I don’t know how competend the personel is as i don’t care for their opinion, but they were at least nice and polite.

The Karstadt (Mönkebergstraße) has a Shiseido counter with all the Serge Lutens stuff, but i don't think much else.

HL and Hamburger Hof are the places to go, though. Good luck!
    Last edited by Lorag; 8th April 2010 at 02:15 PM.