Code of Conduct

Default a n00bs scent reviews

hey all,

I've been lurking here and thought I'd finally take the plunge and join into the discussion! Confessionally, I have only been into obtaining/enjoying the benefits of cologne for the past four months and it is an exciting time for me. A "honeymoon phase" if you will...right now I have nothing better to do so I figured I'd give a short review of some of the stuff I have sampled and bought recently. Any input others can give, differing perspectives etc would be greatly appreciated.

Also if you have any ideas what else I might like judging from my reviews, hit me up here. Thanks!

Profumum - Patchouly: I just got a decant sample in the mail from Luckyscent. I have it on my wrist right now. It is deep and sensual, like being trapped in an old, powerfully fragrant wooden cabinet. I would probably most likely wear this alone. It's almost too masculine for me, and I couldn't imagine women appreciating the smell. I like it so far but it really has a strong tobacco like note to it(is this the Amber?)

Tuscany Per Uomo: My father's scent, so Oedipal conflicts often wrestle with me upon application. The only Aramis line scent I have really enjoyed. Not a favorite, but something good to fall back on I suppose. I could imagine myself appreciating this much more when I am older.

Kiehl's Original Musk #1: This makes me feel great when I put it on, and I almost feel guilty for it! It's the scent of spending the night with a beautiful woman in your arms. Rosy, deep and comforting. Yeah, I like it allright. I like it for myself, but don't know how others are impressed with the scent.

Burberry Brit: I sprayed this on with a tester a month ago and thought it was way too spicy and powdery for my tastes. A couple weeks later I kept thinking about it, and when I went to TJ maxx and found an $18 bottle, I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. It's grown on me a little. It's an extremely clean scent, unlike the others that I have so far in my collection. A nice scent to wear going on a date or just out and about, although I don't feel that it's "me". The lady who cut my hair asked me what it was I was wearing. Not bad at all.

others I have but haven't tried yet:
    two samples from luckyscent
    L'artisan Voleur De Roses: Am looking forward to this one. considering I like Kiehl's I figured this would be a nice sisterly companion.
    L'artisan Tea For Two: I couldn't resist the temptation. The description had me drooling.

thanks for reading!

Default Re: a n00bs scent reviews

Welcome aboard avec!

Great to see some creativity going, thanks for giving us your reviews!

And welcome!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard! BTW, about your tobacco question, most fragrances with this note are called dry woods or leather, though it does come up in a minor role in other types. Amber is sweeter, richer and a little sharp underneath.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Basenotes Institution

A warm welcome Avec - your choices sound perfect, looks like you're on the right path for finding great scents.

My suggestion for you: If you live near somewhere where you can sample Serge Lutens scents, try Ambre Sultan. I think you might like...

Enjoy the L'Artisan samples...I treat all of their scents like prized little jewels, they really turn out some fierce scents.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    Welcome aboard! BTW, about your tobacco question, most fragrances with this note are called dry woods or leather, though it does come up in a minor role in other types. Amber is sweeter, richer and a little sharp underneath.
    ah, ok thanks. The drydown for this profumum is a light incense. Interesting how it evolved from the heavy leather smell to the incense!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23

My suggestion for you: If you live near somewhere where you can sample Serge Lutens scents, try Ambre Sultan. I think you might like...
    thanks for the rec, I'll look into that one!
    Last edited by avec; 18th February 2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Welcome. Nice reviews, keep them coming as you sample/obtain more fragrances. Since the word tobacco was mentioned, try a test of Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme