Code of Conduct

Default Frags perfect for 18-24 age group (College-age)

Anybody think of any frags perfect for 18-24 age group and for the following personality styles?

#1: Neat/Clean
    #2: Rich Playboy
    #3: Athlete/Jock
    #4: Punk/Rebellious
    #5: Book-smart
    #6: Ghetto/Hip-Hop
    #7: Gothic
    #8: Nature freak
    #9: Surfer

Thx

Default Re: Frags perfect for 18-24 age group (College-age)

It depends on whether you're gay or straight

...and they're all STRAIGHT!!

no man..no.. Doesn't matter. I smell armani code on rich people and i smell it on kids at my school who dress in baggy old pants and who wear the same plain sweatshirt day after day.

it doesn't matter. it's more of personal tastes than Class or lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by firefox390

#1: Neat/Clean
    #2: Rich Playboy
    #3: Athlete/Jock
    #4: Punk/Rebellious
    #5: Book-smart
    #6: Ghetto/Hip-Hop
    #7: Gothic
    #8: Nature freak
    #9: Surfer
    While these wouldn't be my personal recommendations, I think that the general consensus might lean towards the following (and some I'm just not sure). Also, these are all also fairly easy to find, since I'm guessing most people 18-24 aren't looking to spend $150+ on a fragrance or have to travel six hours to get it (except for fellow no. 2, of course):

1. Bulgari PH
    2. Creed GIT or MI
    3. ...not sure (maybe one of the Dolce&Gabbanas or Givenchy Ultramarine?)
    4. McQueen Kingdom (you want rebellion? Try this...)
    5. Prada Amber Pour Homme
    6. ...not sure...
    7. Costume National Scent Intense or maybe even Dior Homme (or especially Dior Eau Noire, although it's a little $$$)
    8. Versace Versus Uomo (smells like a lumberjack)
    9. Issey Miyake Pour Homme
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 18th February 2007 at 10:15 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

[QUOTE=firefox390]Anybody think of any frags perfect for 18-24 age group and for the following personality styles?

#1: Neat/Clean- something simple, a single note like sandalwood.
    #2: Rich Playboy-rich- perhaps creed or anything frm luckyscent.com , rive gauche, because he can afford it. playboy- i'd think more cheesy like acqua di gio or axe
    #3: Athlete/Jock- tommy, polo blue or black
    #4: Punk/Rebellious- something from comme de garcons or cb i hate perfume
    #5: Book-smart- equipage, anything from burberry except weekend(too sweet) someone who researched the fragrance and apprieciates it.
    #6: Ghetto/Hip-Hop- joop, curve
    #7: Gothic- givenchey gentleman, or a strom patchouli fragrance
    #8: Nature freak- banana republic original formula, javari from the body shop, something from a company that is reputable and is in good standings with peta or conservationist groups
    #9: Surfer- hollister, tommy bahama, polo blue

Off-Scenter

Not sure about many of these collegiate archetypes anymore, but back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was a "book smart" undergrad, I wore lots of Devin, and Trussardi for special occasions (black tie weddings and the like).

These days it might be Bulgari BLV pour Homme.

Most are pretty good, but I think I can help the ghetto/hip-hop category with..

Le Male, Phat Farm, Fubu

I wouldn't be so hasty to judge someone as a punk, ghetto, or playboy. I have to this day defied definition by any of the names/callings you listed. Closest to date is Nerd/Prep/Ghetto/Metro. Some would go as far to say as Gay instead of Metro. Figure out one name to call me, and I'll eat my words. Oh, and wierd doesn't count, nor any word with the same meaning as wierd. I know I'm wierd, but it's not a label that defines who you are like Prep or Ghetto. Point is, you can't tell what fragrance someone is going to like by who you think they are. Only they know what fragrances they will like and fit them.
    - Rich

PS - Why did no one say Unforgivable for Ghetto?
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_
    PS - Why did no one say Unforgivable for Ghetto?

...it entered my mind, but I didn't put it because I thought it sounded almost suspiciously convenient. I mean, just because it was made by a hip-hop mogul doesn't necessarily make it ghetto (after all, isn't it based on MI?)

Instead, I think Joop sounds like a good suggestion (which was suggested earlier). To me, the image of ghetto/hip-hop seems about projection and not blending in, and Joop pushes one to the front for better or worse.

Stereotypes don't come about for no reason.
    R$, can I classify you with the "cologne afficionado" stereotype? That seems to be one thing you have failed to "defy."

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    ...it entered my mind, but I didn't put it because I thought it sounded almost suspiciously convenient. I mean, just because it was made by a hip-hop mogul doesn't necessarily make it ghetto (after all, isn't it based on MI?)
    Actually MI does seem to have somewhat of a following in the ghetto/rapster domain - Diddy is a huge fan, and last year on MTV, rapper TI picked MI as his favorite cologne ( http://www.mtv.com/style/celebritypi...l?celebrity=ti ). That bling bling bottle should also hold some appeal for the ghetto pimps in the crib.

MI is definitely one of my star frags.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Actually MI does seem to have somewhat of a following in the ghetto/rapster domain - Diddy is a huge fan, and last year on MTV, rapper TI picked MI as his favorite cologne ( http://www.mtv.com/style/celebritypi...l?celebrity=ti ). That bling bling bottle should also hold some appeal for the ghetto pimps in the crib.

MI is definitely one of my star frags.
    I'm just waiting to see it used as a pendant dangling on a gold chain around some rapper's neck!

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5
    Stereotypes don't come about for no reason.
    R$, can I classify you with the "cologne afficionado" stereotype? That seems to be one thing you have failed to "defy."
    I am indeed a cologne afficionado, as I am a drummer, a prep, and a nerd. Cologne afficionado does not tell you everything about me, it just tells you I like cologne. There are a lot of cologne afficionados on this site. There are a lot of preps, nerds, and drummers. I'm looking for one word that describes me perfectly, and cologne afficionado doesn't quite cut it. I haven't been defined by just one phrase (Although two words describe me perfectly: Rich McGhee ) yet.

Good point though, about sterotypes not coming about without a reason, but can you use that to say asians are short? Sterotypes don't work in a lot of situations that's all I'm saying. Here's my list.

#1: Neat/Clean ) Burberry Touch
    #2: Rich Playboy ) Green Irish Tweed
    #3: Athlete/Jock ) Aqua di Gio (Just stereotypical of jocks/popular guys)
    #4: Punk/Rebellious ) Axe or Old Spice
    #5: Book-smart ) Nothing or Aqua di Gio
    #6: Ghetto/Hip-Hop ) Unforgivable or nothing
    #7: Gothic ) Hmmm... Nothing? (girls wear vanilla)
    #8: Nature freak ) Comme des Garcons: Sequoia
    #9: Surfer ) Nautica Voyage

The last time I smelled anything on a Ghetto (Read: Black guy. My school had the second largest number of black students in the district. We were considered the ghetto school) guy, he was wearing Axe. Nothing against the Ghetto crowd, I did grow up with them, but it isn't typical to smell cologne on someone ghetto. Book smart would have found out what the most popular cologne and bought it. Jocks would have asked the SA's too. As many goths as I knew, none of them wore cologne, but the girls wore vanilla a lot. Punks were just trying to mask the smell of the concert they went to last night. Since you could smell the weed on them, Axe was the most effective odor masking agent for their jackets/sweaters (I had to do this a few times after some really hippie concerts.)
    - Rich
    --------------------------------------
    By the way, cool name firefox.
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 19th February 2007 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

#1: Neat/Clean – Clean Man by Clean
    #2: Rich Playboy – Antaeus by Chanel
    #3: Athlete/Jock – Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren
    #4: Punk/Rebellious – Body Kouros by YSL
    #5: Book-smart – Heritage by Guerlain
    #6: Ghetto/Hip-Hop – Angel Man by Thierry Mugler
    #7: Gothic – Comme des Garcon 2 for Men by CdG
    #8: Nature freak – Adidas Classic by Adidas
    #9: Surfer – Cool Water by Davidoff, Erolfa by Creed

This is easy when you live in the bible belt:

#1: Neat/Clean acqua di gio
    #2: Rich Playboy acqua di gio
    #3: Athlete/Jock acqua di gio
    #4: Punk/Rebellious acqua di gio
    #5: Book-smart acqua di gio
    #6: Ghetto/Hip-Hop acqua di gio
    #7: Gothic acqua di gio
    #8: Nature freak acqua di gio
    #9: Surfer acqua di gio

My personal opinions though:

#1: Neat/Clean Mugler Cologne
    #2: Rich Playboy Platinum Egoiste
    #3: Athlete/Jock acqua di gio
    #4: Punk/Rebellious L'Anarchiste
    #5: Book-smart au The Vert
    #6: Ghetto/Hip-Hop phat farm / Coolwater
    #7: Gothic Voleur de Roses / Nocturnal
    #8: Nature freak Terre d'Hermes
    #9: Surfer Hell if I know

_R$_, how about "postmodern." Hard to define, postmodern speaks of stratification and subcultures. I think this is more apparent than ever with the internet and online communities that allow personal growth in just about any area of fascination. Those "jocks," "punks," and "ghettos" might (and probably do) have a lot more dimension than we give them credit for.

I don't mean to fan the flame, but considering the uproar in "that other thread," I can't help but scratch my head at some of the comments being made in this one. It's kind of funny... we all strive to be unique individuals, but we simultaneously need to feel a sense of secure belonging. I believe collective groups have similar interests because individuals, whether they'd like to admit it or not, will look to the "alphas" to validate their choices.

I think L'Anarchiste would work for the Goths. The copper tombstone bottle and the blood and metal note would fit the niche to a tee.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto
    _R$_, how about "postmodern." Hard to define, postmodern speaks of stratification and subcultures. I think this is more apparent than ever with the internet and online communities that allow personal growth in just about any area of fascination. .
    Just the other day a colleague of mine was trying to convince me of why we're now in the "Post-post modern" era. I recommended that he not stop taking his medication... j/k

Also, Riddle, I think L'anarchiste is a really interesting suggestion; I could definitely picture Goths carrying around that copper bottle...

#1: Neat/Clean: CDG Dry clean
    #2: Rich Playboy: Chanel Egoiste
    #3: Athlete/Jock: Depend to which of the thousand sport (cologne) he's keen
    #4: Punk/Rebellious: flowerbomb (rebel enough?)
    #5: Book-smart: Bel Ami (at least he can quote Guy de Maupassant)
    #6: Ghetto/Hip-Hop: a not well defined MI clone...
    #7: Gothic: Messe de Minuit (supposed he's catholic) or passage d'enfer (following his soul)
    #8: Nature freak: Eau de campagne
    #9: Surfer: Eau des merveilles layered with Erolfa, beach and sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    #1: Neat/Clean: CDG Dry clean
    #2: Rich Playboy: Chanel Egoiste
    #3: Athlete/Jock: Depend to which of the thousand sport (cologne) he's keen
    #4: Punk/Rebellious: flowerbomb (rebel enough?)
    #5: Book-smart: Bel Ami (at least he can quote Guy de Maupassant)
    #6: Ghetto/Hip-Hop: a not well defined MI clone...
    #7: Gothic: Messe de Minuit (supposed he's catholic) or passage d'enfer (following his soul)
    #8: Nature freak: Eau de campagne
    #9: Surfer: Eau des merveilles layered with Erolfa, beach and sea.
    Apparently, your Italian youths are much more stylish than their American counterparts! Tell your average American surfer kid to layer Hermes with Creed and he'll think you're talking about some sort of music remix.

And, I wonder if you are thinking something different for "gothic." Here, it refers to kids who are very pale, wear all black with black make-up, pretend to be vampires, and generally hate everything except for other Gothic people. I don't think they go anywhere NEAR a church.

Hey rach2jlc,
    despite I think maybe european guys (specially italians...hehe) can be more stylish than their american counterparts, also here they aren't as daring as I said.
    And about Gothic, well, what can I think of gothic different from architecture?
    And about the image of a 'punkabeast" (punk with a pitbull) wearing flowerbomb then?
    Didn't you really get the irony through my lines? Really?

What the hell is up with us making absolutely absurd classifications lately? There are a few things in this thread that really bother me. Firstly it is the stuff involving race. Are you guys kidding me?!? A few of you are acting as if black=ghetto. That's pretty messed up because ghetto tends to be negative connotation. I think it's terrible to ascribe an entire race (hell, race is just a made-up concept by us idiot humans anyways) to an adjective, especially a negative one. We should really evaluate the way we think here.
    The second thing that bothers me is the gay/straight divide. Lately it has been really common for people to say that a gay person might like something different from a straight person. I don't know if you guys saw my rant about this in a different thread, but the bottom line was that for various reasons it is ridiculous to differentiate between gay people and straight people when discussing fragrance tendencies.
    Classifications in general are an issue in the world and we are perpetuating the issue. It becomes especially troublesome when classifications reach the point where they include race, sexual tendencies, and other difficult issues. Think about this: What would the average citizen of the United States say if they were asked to classify someone who was really into cologne? I think their answer would be really frustrating to us because they "don't understand" and they're just making a classification. Wait, that's exactly what we're doing! Even something as small as connencting hip-hop with ghetto is a mistake because they are two very different entities. I'm not saying that we need to be overly careful and politically correct about everything we say, but making blatant racial and sexual classifications is really low of us. Let's talk about fragrance, let's enjoy fragrance, and while we're at it let's try to ameliorate such issues rather than iritate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    Hey rach2jlc,
    despite I think maybe european guys (specially italians...hehe) can be more stylish than their american counterparts, also here they aren't as daring as I said.
    And about Gothic, well, what can I think of gothic different from architecture?
    And about the image of a 'punkabeast" (punk with a pitbull) wearing flowerbomb then?
    Didn't you really get the irony through my lines? Really?
    Oh yeah, I got the irony, and responded in kind!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    What the hell is up with us making absolutely absurd classifications lately?
    Yes, the black = ghetto thing blew my mind. I'm new here, so I didn't want to kick up too much dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto
    Yes, the black = ghetto thing blew my mind. I'm new here, so I didn't want to kick up too much dirt.
    That's one reason why I thought it a little suspicious to assume that urban/hip-hop or ghetto would naturally need the recommendation of a fragrance designed by a hip-hop mogul. Instead, I thought maybe Joop...

But, I'm worn out arguing these things. At the end of the day, nobody's perfect. We all screw up from time to time and I'll be honest that my first thought for the "rapper/hip-hop" recommendation was Sean John or Phat Farm, but then I quickly realized that thought was problematic and potentially unfair.

So, let's just hope that our screw-ups come out over something as minor as an online fragrance forum and that where it really counts (like on the job, in the classroom, or in the street), we can be as even handed as possible.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 19th February 2007 at 07:42 PM.

gheto- COOL WATER

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/snoopdogg/lodidodi.html

Find it in the lyrics