Code of Conduct
    Off-Scenter

Red face Superb fragrances: love 'em but can't wear 'em...

A new member's thread, so bear with me.

Here's a new twist to an old topic:

We've talked about fragrances we appreciate as being brilliant, but which we do not enjoy. (For me these include MKK and Jicky.) There's also been talk of those scents whose art and stature we admire, but which do despicable things on our skin, scent-wise or by way of allergies. (My own prime example is Timbuktu - see elsewhere.)

But how about great fragrances we LOVE, but for some silly circumstance, just can't wear. Mine is Villoresi's Piper Nigrum. I adore it, but my wife thinks it's vile, and I just haven't found a time or place to weear it.

Any one else have one of these?

Default Re: Superb fragrances: love 'em but can't wear 'em...

LOL! I was just thinking this exact thought when this post appeared right infront of me!

Jicky, I do love it but I'm too scared to wear it anymore! Hell knows why, well I do know why its cause it can illict some very strong love/hate responses. hmmm

Basenotes Institution

Talking Re: Superb fragrances: love 'em but can't wear 'em...

I own (and love) Private Collection by Estee Lauder, but it is frankly a floral, feminine MONSTER of a fragrance, and I feel really awkward wearing it around anyone. I wear it once in a while, when I'm home alone...

jean pascal - jean pascal

i really like it, especially the dry down, but was wearing it yesterday, and for some reason, it's just a little too...distracting? at least for the first few hours. maybe it's just strong with too much sillage. i only used two sprays (one chest, one shared between forearms), so i don't think it's a question of overapplication. it's just a little aggressive for me to wear i guess.
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Sheer Obsession

Probably the most beautiful scent I've ever known. The reason I don't wear it is because my daughter won't let me borrow her stuff j/k

I obviously don't wear it because it's for women.

For me it has to be Geir Ness

It's the perfect scent. Eau de Parfum strength, great silage and duration quality sprayer and finally, it's a fantastic value for the money considering 3.4 oz costs only $70.00
    If more designers made their fragrances with these characteristicts the world would be a better place. At least smell better.

But, on me the sweet projection Geir gives off suffocates me everytime regardless of how little I apply. Therefore, I can't wear it.

Just about the entire Serge Lutens line. I've tried them all and feel there are some of the most incredible scents I've ever smelled in there. But after buying and selling/swapping many of them, I now only own Fumerie Turque and Santal de Mysore. And even those two ... it's tough finding the right situation to wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    Just about the entire Serge Lutens line. I've tried them all and feel there are some of the most incredible scents I've ever smelled in there. But after buying and selling/swapping many of them, I now only own Fumerie Turque and Santal de Mysore. And even those two ... it's tough finding the right situation to wear them.
    You beat me too it by a matter of seconds. I was just getting ready to say the same thing...

I've tried Chergui, Rahat Loukhoum, Santal de Mysore, Santal Blanc, Miel de Bois, Fumerie Turque, Cuir Mauresque, Daim Blond... and I'm probably forgetting a few others, and though I think every one of them are really brilliant scents (okay, except for Santal Blanc, which I just don't understand), I have real trouble making them work.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 18th February 2007 at 11:51 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    You beat me too it by a matter of seconds. I was just getting ready to say the same thing...

I've tried Chergui, Rahat Loukhoum, Santal de Mysore, Santal Blanc, Miel de Bois, Fumerie Turque, Cuir Mauresque, Daim Blond... and I'm probably forgetting a few others, and though I think every one of them are really brilliant scents (okay, except for Santal Blanc, which I just don't understand), I have real trouble making them work.
    I share the same sentiments about SL, and (to a far lesser extent) L'Artisan. Being accomplished houses, the perfumes are of a good quality, but they put out what I have previously mentioned as "home fragrances" - suitable as atmospheric scents, but just not that appealing on the skin in close proximity. Arabie and especially RLakhoum were too much for my senses, but I used up the decants as home sprays and they worked well.
    -

Great timing. I was thinking about this as I was posting my reply to the ultrasweet fragrances thread.

I feel this way about Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri primarily becuase it's a scent for women. One these days I'll deal with my Loukhoum insecurity and wear it in public. Maybe.

Santa Maria Novella's Pot-pouri: wore it a lot last winter, and grew to dislike it on me, but admire it "in principal". On me the animalic/sweaty smell became too dominant, and I thought it was strange to bath, groom and then put on a scent that I felt made me smell as though I forgot to take a shower. Great, but can't wear it.

Givenchy Gentleman: over powering bomb of patchouli that I love to smell, but would be too strong to wear in public. Wore it once to work and when I got out of the elevator, one of the people going up said in too loud a voice "phew" and I sort of agreed with him. Can't wear GG.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert
    A new member's thread, so bear with me.

Here's a new twist to an old topic:

We've talked about fragrances we appreciate as being brilliant, but which we do not enjoy. (For me these include MKK and Jicky.) There's also been talk of those scents whose art and stature we admire, but which do despicable things on our skin, scent-wise or by way of allergies. (My own prime example is Timbuktu - see elsewhere.)

But how about great fragrances we LOVE, but for some silly circumstance, just can't wear. Mine is Villoresi's Piper Nigrum. I adore it, but my wife thinks it's vile, and I just haven't found a time or place to weear it.

Any one else have one of these?
    I LOVE Musc Ravageur but my s.o. thought it was one of the most aweful things he'd ever smelled, so I sold it : (
    I also love Lorenzo Villoresi Musk but I find it too floral, and more on the feminine side of unisex.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Creed - BDP
    Malle - Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Malle - Carnal Flower
    LV - Piper Nigrum
    CDG - Sequoia

I love wearing Piper Nigrum and Vetiver Extraordinaire - (thought I am insensitive to what goes on around me and don't share an office )

I haven't tried too many SLs, but Arabie is a gorgeous scent that I would not wear out, or even in the house much.

M7 - I don't think I've worn it since I bought a full bottle. My sister-in-law would not buy it for me for Xmas because "it smells bad" and my wife doesn't like it at all.

Tuberose - I have a minor obsession with this note. I got my wife some Fracas recently and picked up some rare Floris Tuberose for a quick dab on my wrist when I'm at home - it is intoxicating to the extent of being almost sickening. I can't even wear the unisex Carnal Flower even though it is one my all time favourite scents.

------------------
    The worm has turned! After posting the above, I've cracked open my M7 and am going to savour it with a large beer whilst watching some Champions League football.
    Last edited by michaeld39; 20th February 2007 at 06:51 PM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Arrow Re: Superb fragrances: love 'em but can't wear 'em...

Daim Blond: I loved it for 2 months, then it went sour on me, and honestly, I don't understand it anymore. I still love and wear Arabie.
    Body Kouros: I love this fragrance, but it drives everyone I come into contact with insane. The Cotton Candy note never fails to provoke a sarcastic comment.
    Van Cleef and Arpels: I spent much of the early 80's in a state of nausea/bliss as I always over applied this dense masterwork.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th February 2007 at 05:26 PM.