Code of Conduct

Default mixing fragrances

I'm just wondering, I started getting into fragrances when I switched from normal to electric shaver. The electric shaver gave me a rash so I bought some original old spice aftershave. It's my only aftershave, and i'm wondering if the scent could get in the way of other fragrances in a bad kind of way, and if yes then what I could do around it...

Default Re: mixing fragrances

I'd have to say the Old Spice aftershave would clash with whatever your scent of the day is. I personally use a matched or unscented aftershave balm to prevent any clashing with whatever scent I'm wearing.

I agree with Troxin. There is usually a negative reaction when you mix and match smelling things. Smells are not like baking ingredients that mix into something new. You'll get sniffs of old spice and then of whatever you SOTD is and it will just be nausiating, IMO. I would get something with a neutral smell so that it doesn't affect your cologne choice.

Old Spice is not what you'd call a subtle scent so yes, it'll definitely clashl Unscented balm is the way to go (unless you fancy wearing Old Spice that day!)

Or buy matching aftershaves with your frags (Somewhat pricey option, I know...)

How about witch hazel or an unscented lotion?

Lightbulb Re: mixing fragrances

I was thinking that maybe you could just make your home made odorless aftershave. Just take make a diluted solution of etylic alcohol with water to heal shaving cuts and use a little natural glycerin on that solution to make you skin softer to prevent a rash. I guess that should work pretty well without making any alterations to your fragances. Just make sure your skin is dry when you apply your fragances. Thats how barbershops do it here in Mexico. Hope it helps!
    --------------------------------------
    I was thinking that maybe you could just make your home made odorless aftershave. Just take make a very diluted solution of etylic alcohol with water to heal shaving cuts and use a little natural glycerin on that solution to make you skin softer to prevent a rash. I guess that should work pretty well without making any alterations to your fragances. Just make sure your skin is dry when you apply your fragances. Thats how its done in some old fashioned barbershops in Mexico. Hope it helps!
    Last edited by generalmannager; 14th March 2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Exclamation Re: mixing fragrances

If you are cutting your face that much when you shave, something is wrong. What kind of shaving cream are you using? If you use a rich cream to shave with, you usually don't need any further aftershave. But unless you like pain, I wouldn't use any alcohol based products on my face. There are many great lotions available if you need it. As for your original question I agree with what the others have said about not mixing scents.

I electric shave. The porblem isn't with cuts, but the rubbing irritation of the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_handerchief View Post
    I electric shave. The porblem isn't with cuts, but the rubbing irritation of the metal.
    You have a couple of options: use a different razor that doesn't irritate your face - maybe consider switching to a double edge (DE), or use an unscented non-alcohol based after shave balm, which will soothe the irritation you have.

It's worth checking out this site for info about these options.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/index.php

Good luck.

jim