Code of Conduct

Default Egoiste vs Egoiste Platinum

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has tried both Egoiste and Egoiste Platinum and could comment on their similarities/differences. I have read some posts and reviews and some seem to say they are similar and others that they are very different.

I have a decant of Egoiste; although it is _almost_ a little too sweet for me, I still really like it. Is Egoiste Platinum also sweet?

In your opinion, is one 'better' than the other? Would one work better in an office environment? One better for evenings? One better for summer or winter?

Any thoughts at all are welcome. Thanks for your time.

Default Re: Egoiste vs Egoiste Platinum

It seems to be impossible for me to find a tester for Egoiste in a store for some reason. - so I can't help with the comparison.

However, I'd say that although I view PE as a "sexy" fragrance, it's one of few that I would wear to the office. Please use extreme moderation...one or two sprays only. If you go for more than that, you will be "that guy".

now to the bar...3 or 4 shots of PE.

I'd love to try the Egoiste to make my own comparison as well! Sorry I can't be of more help!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

They're both totally different fragrances. Egoiste being a sweet oriental, and Platinum more of a dry fougere. Both are classy.

Platinum Egoiste is not nearly as sweet as Egoiste. It's more akin to XS and Herrera for Men if you've smelt any of those.

I find Egoiste the much better fragrance, but more limiting in its use, which is more of a going-out, romantic fragrance. Platinum is much more versatile of a fragrance. Given that, I still don't reach for Platinum Egoiste more than I do for Egoiste. I have others I'd rather wear in that category, whereas Egoiste is superb for a romantic night out on the town.

You definitely don't want to wear Egoiste in the summer, yet Platinum Egoiste can be worn year round (albeit, spray lightly in the heat, as it can get headache-y with too much).
    Last edited by gimpy; 19th February 2007 at 11:45 PM.

i can't stand sweet colonges. I'm 18 and I find Platinum Egoiste better suited for me. My g/f also liked PE more than E so thats another reason why I chose PE.

Not a huge fan of either, but I mos def enjoy the Egoiste more. The platinum reminds me of Mambo by Claiborne for some reason...

But yea, they have nothing similar other than their names.

try both. its personal preference, as they both seem to have great lasting power/sillage.

it's basically what smells best to you. if you have a g/f have her smell them both to make sure they like it too.

Don't you hate it when scents share a name and smell nothing alike? It's so misleading.

Like Kouros and Body Kouros, Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste share not a single note. Totally different natures. No reason not to have both if you like them equally. It really boils down to whether you like dry, spicy, citrusy scents (that being the Platinum) or richer, sweeter scents that create more of a sauve aura (the original). As others have said, PE is easier to pull off in many situations, but I just don't like the dry, bitter, overpowering nature of it. Try it though...it all comes down to preference.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

PE is more of a versitile scent, sort of gingery, citrusy and there are a ton of same scents out there, XS, Herrera, Himalaya etc, I find it very boring 90s scent. Egoiste on the other hand is one of a kind, sweet but not cloying like other sweet scents, soft, warm and smooth. One of my absolute favourites.

Red face Re: Egoiste vs Egoiste Platinum

my g/f, and the ladies at the counters liked PE more than E. Up to you. if its for girls then get PE, if its for you and yourself, get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man
    my g/f, and the ladies at the counters liked PE more than E. Up to you. if its for girls then get PE, if its for you and yourself, get what you want.
    Or maybe your girlfriend and "the ladies at the counter" aren't representative of the entire human female population on earth.

Nah, that'd be impossible.

LiveJazz said it best.

I personally prefer Egoiste. Platinum Egoiste really didn't impress me, it didn't stand out and say "BUY ME!". I do however enjoy Egoiste and find it to be a unique fragrance in my wardrobe. I find it to be only slightly sweet on my skin.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaisen
    Or maybe your girlfriend and "the ladies at the counter" aren't representative of the entire human female population on earth.

Nah, that'd be impossible.
    :toppie:

I love Égoïste and loathe Platinum, it's not worthy of Égoïste's name.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

all hail Égoïste...
    fragrance of the year!
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

P. Egoiste is a different animal entirely, considerably less sweet.

There is almost a cult following here for Egoiste, and I'd have to say that they're right.

I like Platinum Egoiste, but LOVE Egoiste.

(and I have that on good authority, because, although I don't have opinions of my own, I did ask every female on the planet first!)

I have tested Egoiste on a couple of occasions, but I find it cloying and sweet. Mind you that I can enjoy sweet scents, but Egoiste is just a big no for me.
    Platinum Egoiste on the other hand, takes me to a whole different place with it's rich aroma and fresh top notes.
    True, they are different fragrances, but am I the only one who can detect similiar notes? I am talking about a certain 'woodiness' that I experience with both. Anyhow, I really can't see all the hype with Egoiste on these boards, Egoiste is not a scent I would like to wear.
    For swap:
    1. 90-95% full 2.5 oz bottle of Creed Orange Spice
    2. 99% full 1.6 oz bottle of Kenzo pour Homme
    3. 90% full 4 oz bottle of Creed Millesime Imperial

Looking for: GIT, Baie de Genièvre, Idole de Lubin, Chergui, decant of FM Carnal Flower, decant of vintage Tabarome

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    :toppie:

I love Égoïste and loathe Platinum, it's not worthy of Égoïste's name.

Ditto!!

Isnt Trumper Sandalwood similar to Egoiste ?
    -

I find Egoiste distinguished and only moderately sweet.

It is now the current Basenotes Fragrance of the Year!

http://www.basenotes.net/awards/2007/infull.html

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I don't know about the original, but Egoiste Concentree is a dead ringer for Trumper Sandalwood. Too bad I'm not a fan of either.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I got Egoiste when it first came out. Then I finished my bottle and went to replace it, not noticing the slight change of name and even slighter change of packaging. When I got it home, I was really puzzled as to why it didn't smell anything like the first bottle.

Then it was that I entered the dark realm of disappointment. I felt as though I had been tricked, bamboozled, sold a bill of goods!

Now I know that Platinum Egoiste is cool in its own way. Everybody who has posted in this thread has said it. It's a nice, dryish fougère. It's for different occasions. It's a fine product in its own right.

But for my money it still doesn't hold a candle to the original!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I love both scents.
    To compare one against the other is very unfair and unproductive, sometimes it feels like PE gets very beaten down because of this constant comparison.
    While Égoïste has been one of my HGs, EP has not been one, but i fully support it as a great fourgere.

I am very glad that Égoïste won Fragrance of the Year!

Not much to add that hasn't been said well. My thoughts are similar to DustB's (and others).

Except ... unless i've missed a post - you can get PE in any suburban shopping mall.

The original you can pretty much only get from a Chanel boutique in the States. That means something very definite to me.

Someone coughs to indicate you're wearing something unusual? Offer them a cough drop. They keep coughing? Ask them to check the bottom of their shoes because they likely stepped in some dog shit in the parking lot. That oughta cure the coughing problem, assuming you know what moderation's all about.
    blackguard, n.
    3 : an inverted gentleman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5a2JH_BVE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWEOaosGDi0
    ... où flotte l'étendard ...
    ... Ich will die Ruhe stören ...
    ... Stand up and admit it! ...

you can actually get Egoiste and PE at Macys stores. I tested them both for a few days and like I said before, I prefer the fresher/cleaner PE compared to the Sweet annoying Egoiste.

I have to say, I wear colognes not so much just for me or to make myself feel all manly or w/e. I wear cologne to smell fresh and clean and feel good about it and have "safe" smelling scents most others would enjoy... just look at my wardrobe and those are all clean or lively smelling scents.

Sweet is annoying to me. I would get tired of smelling myself. My g/f also dislikes sweet so..I guess it works out. For example, Le Male is on the top lists of askmen or w/e other player's guides, but, I don't like it b/c it is sweet. I'm sorry, it's just ME. SO JUST BE YOU.

Ultimately it's your style. What you like. What those close to you also like smelling on you.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Yes, but Trumper is more floral and includes no rosewood note that I can pick out. Plus, I think it smells rather synthetic at certain times in its considerable evolution. Egoiste is better.
    --------------------------------------
    can someone spell fougere phonetically? It's embarrasing, but I don't know how to say it. And I don't rememeber the url of that site that tells you how to pronournce everything.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 21st February 2007 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic
    It seems to be impossible for me to find a tester for Egoiste in a store for some reason.
    If you have a Bloomingdales nearby, you might be able to sample it there.
    Also, search the swap boards for a decant.

Regards,
    trumpet_guy