Code of Conduct

Thread: Acqua di Genova

Default Acqua di Genova

I've just been testing a sample of this fragrance for the past couple of weeks. Being a fan of traditional 'eau de cologne' type scents this certainly appeals to me. There are similarities with this and acqua di parma but i think 'genova' is definately a few notches towards the feminine than the aforementioned....nonetheless i like it and have placed an order at Les senteurs. I do like the 'boudoir' attachment ...very tradional.

The dry down leaves a pleasant rosey scent that i think would go nice with a rose type shaving cream......so maybe a few spritzes demurely placed on either side of the neck.. after shaving with a trumpers shave cream would be applicable

Anyone else with opinions on this fragrance?

Default Re: Acqua di Genova

I tried it a few weeks ago and it went straight to the top of my wishlist. I bought a bottle from Selfridges Oxford St last weekend. I was persuaded into getting the boudoir atomiser attachement and do not regret it - spritzing yourself with this after a brisk shower and before putting on a white cotton shirt makes you feel like the Duke of Savoy!

I think it is more interesting, complex and longlasting than Aqua di Parma. The top notes are similar (lemon, bergamot, lavender) but somehow brighter than other colonias. The real beauty of AdGen is in the heart notes of neroli, rose and jasmin (similar to another favourite of mine Castile by Penhaligon's). Even though it is not underpinned by anything dark and heavy - some musk and a little patchouli - it carries itself as a clearly masculine floral.

It's been too cold to really appreciate it fully yet, but can't wait for a summer evening, clean-shaven, open-neck shirt, night-scented stock in the garden, a glass of Campari and ice and little cloud of Acqua di Genova hovering around me - bliss!
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Why don't you guys just take my wallet?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

How does Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn fit into this genre. Have either of you tried it?

I find that the Aqua di Parma Assoluta colonia lasts quite a while compared to the regular Aqua di Parma.

Thanks

I haven't tried Sienna. In fact it is absolutely ages since I tried any Crabtree and Evelyn products. Thanks for jolting that memory - I'll have to check them out again.

Reading the reviews of Sienna here, I would guess that they are quite different styles. Sienna is described as spicy-woodsy and comparable to Bois du Portugal. Aqua di Genova is much lighter. The closest scent to it I have tried is Acqua di Parma.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham
    How does Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn fit into this genre. Have either of you tried it?

I find that the Aqua di Parma Assoluta colonia lasts quite a while compared to the regular Aqua di Parma.

Thanks
    Sorry never tried it. Do yourself a favour and buy this..or at least try and acquire a sample....trust me you'll love it

I didn't know this fragrance was available as other items ( soaps etc).

Nice selection here from a place in sunny lancashire. Looks like the credit card may come out again.

At first, I liked Acqua di Genova, but now it seems to feminine to me. I am going to try their mens' fragrance- - what is it 1853? 1857? Not sure, it's a date of some significance to the company.

AdiG is nothing like Sienna. Sienna is for Autumn and Winter, and is rich, spicy and just a bit funky, enough to be fun, but not to be mildly repulsive, as is Devin by Aramis IMHO, with which it shares a passing similarity, but without the intensity of Devin.

As suggested before Genova it is somewhat like AdiParma.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Exquisite_Darkness
    Sorry never tried it. Do yourself a favour and buy this..or at least try and acquire a sample....trust me you'll love it

I didn't know this fragrance was available as other items ( soaps etc).

Nice selection here from a place in sunny lancashire. Looks like the credit card may come out again.
    The nice lady at Selfridges gave me some samples of the bath oil. I take my bathing very seriously and have to report that it was ... um ... OK. If you are going to spring big money for a bath lotion try Elemis.

Thanks for the link to my local quality fragrance shop (I'd never heard of it!), Creed and Brosseau in the Forest of Bowland?! They'll be replacing the sticky toffee pudding with tarte tatin next.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    The nice lady at Selfridges gave me some samples of the bath oil. I take my bathing very seriously and have to report that it was ... um ... OK. If you are going to spring big money for a bath lotion try Elemis.
    Well michael so do i, i treat my bath time more like a ritual...however i don't normally buy bath 'oils' as such....only gels. I don't know what elemis is.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    Thanks for the link to my local quality fragrance shop (I'd never heard of it!), Creed and Brosseau in the Forest of Bowland?! They'll be replacing the sticky toffee pudding with tarte tatin next.
    You're welcome Nice part of the world east lancashire....makes me think of the pendle witches . Email response from them was VERY quick.....20 seconds!

* Just recieved two creed samples from them this morning ( attached to official card)...only asked for them yesterday
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances
    At first, I liked Acqua di Genova, but now it seems to feminine to me. I am going to try their mens' fragrance- - what is it 1853? 1857? Not sure, it's a date of some significance to the company.
    Joe you're right. It is more feminine than ADP...but i can wear it. Then again, i really do like many flowery scents and it doesn't bother me whither they are made for men or women

Don't know much about their 'mens' fragrancies
    Last edited by Exquisite_Darkness; 22nd February 2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Got my bottle recently (a good deal on ebay), have tested extensively and just posted my review. I'm with Joe Frances here. While it's a high quality fragrance, the sweet floral rose-jasmin-neroli combo isn't entirely my thing, too feminine, more so than any other EdC I've tried. Maybe I'll change my mind about this in July. Anyhow, I clearly prefer Acqua di Parma's lemon-rose construction, or the usual suspects for citrus-herbal freshness.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.