Code of Conduct

Default L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme

Question here. Basenotes members seems to have different opinions to mainstream folk. Issey is one of the most popular fragrances and certainly one of the most recommended when I started getting interested in colognes.

Recently smelled Platinum and Issey about the same time and I have to say the platinum me smelled so much more classier to me.
    I dont know much about colognes though but that was my impression

How would you rate Issey and in what category would you place it i.e classy scent, work scent, date scent etc.

Dependent

Default Re: L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme

welcome to Basenotes tahbasb
    I own IL'Eau D'Issey pour Homme but I haven't worn it in a while
    below is a link to some Basenoters reviews. I'm not sure which Platinum you're referring to.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120927.html

Blog Entries

L'eau D'Issey is actually my SOTD! I'm wearing this at work right now, but I also think it makes a great casual frag for warmer weather.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I think L'eau D'Issey is pretty good, just not as good as many others
    in my wardrobe, so I haven't bought it. I think it would be fine as
    a work scent, and if you like it, it would be a fine date scent. In the
    general world of aquatic scents, I think it's one of the better ones.

It will be better as a summer scent. In winter, I like richer, strong frags.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy
    In the
    general world of aquatic scents, I think it's one of the better ones.
    I agree. I bought it to replace my empty bottle of Chrome. I wanted something in the same genre, only w/ more "personality." L'eau D'Issey seemed to fit the bill. It was between that, or 212 Men.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

It's a fresh casual scent, but so cloyingly sweet to my nose that I get headaches from it. Take Acqua di Gio and pour honey over it, that's Issey. It is the worst aquatic that I know. But it's very popular around here (which I don't quite understand). And if with Platinum you mean Platinum Egoiste, also check Paco Rabanne XS. It's like PE, but imho more casual due to it's higher freshness, so it may be a good choice for you.

I disliked Issey when I first tried it - but that was in the middle of winter. But I was surprised when I retried it in summer. I think of it as a classy scent, which I'd be more likely to wear in the evenings or night time of warm summers. It sometimes seems a tad overpowering in the middle of a hot day.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by tahbasb
    Question here. Basenotes members seems to have different opinions to mainstream folk. Issey is one of the most popular fragrances and certainly one of the most recommended when I started getting interested in colognes.

Recently smelled Platinum and Issey about the same time and I have to say the platinum me smelled so much more classier to me.
    I dont know much about colognes though but that was my impression

How would you rate Issey and in what category would you place it i.e classy scent, work scent, date scent etc.
    If you like L'eau D'Issey PH, then you should definitely give the 2005 Summer version a try (bright orange bottle). Very similar to PH, but 2005 has a strong Florida Orange note instead of the Floral one.

I dont agree with the other poster about the Honey, I think L'eau D'Issey PH is a strong Floral/Aquatic scent.

In my opinion, the 2005 Summer version is very similar but better and is exactly what the original should have been.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Well, I have had mixed opinions about L'Eau d'Issey... sometimes I think It's too common, and cheap-smelling... sometimes It's refreshing and manly... I don't know... From time to time, I try it again, but I still can't formulate a consistent opinion.
    Last week I received a bottle of 1881 Cerruti Amber as a gift and It seemed similar in some sort of way to Issey. Maybe It's the "loud freshness". And I liked it! Go figure... I think It's time to test Issey again!

I think Issey smells classy in its own way. IMO it's different from most boring aquatics. The honeycoat thing is purely an out of the bottle or sniff the sprayer note. It does not carry on me at all, but maybe it's just that my skin is perfect to get the greatness out of the scent. Not that I don't dig the honeycoat thing either.
    I'm also stricken with PE, though I've only tried it a couple times and liked it once(the last time, which is when my sense of smell had matured some). I hated the beginning but loved the drydown. It felt like a perfect blend of red and yellow, though not orange at all. I do think PE is classier, but I would not deny L'Eau D'Issey its merit.

Basenotes Institution

I owned L'eau d'Issey about 10 years ago, and it was one of the 1st scents I owned that I bought a brand new bottle, when it was empty - I just LOVED it when it came out, because I had never smelled anything like it.

Now, I find it very boring & repetitive - and the lemon I always smell (I don't and never did smell honey) smells powdery to my nose now (I absolutely DETEST powdery notes in my frags), so I have no more use for it.

Now, I feel much more excited about the strange & unique frags I own (My Comme de Garcons...L'Artisan's...etc.), I can't imagine taking the time to revisit this friend from the past.

Having said that, if you've never smelled this, please do yourself a favor & sample it.