Code of Conduct

Default How to dispose of unwanted oil?

I bought a little 15 ml bottle of "Oriental Musk" oil for 50c. Not surprisingly, it smelled pretty cheap, but I actually bought it for the amber glass bottle, which I wanted to use to mix some other scents.

How do I get rid of this oil so I can re-use the bottle? I'm afraid that if I pour it in the trash can it will stink up the whole house, and pouring it down the sink might not be environmentally friendly.

Secondly, any tips about how to clean out the bottle and remove the old scent would be much appreciated!

Default Re: How to dispose of unwanted oil?

I would not know how to clean it. I would use soap and water, over and over. Let it sit out in the open to air out. Glass bottles don't absorb any of the smell so it's up to you to clean it really well.

I would dump it outside in the grass or somewhere in the wild. It can't be terrible for it. It is an oil, so I would think it is ok. Maybe even a dumpster!? Those are my ideas. Good luck with that.

Blog Entries

I second EnvYuS's suggestion of dumping it in a dumpster or somewhere outdoors. I'd try using alcohol to clean it out, as well.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I would put the oil in a bottle that I don't want anymore, re-label the bottle, and then send it to the Salvation Army so that someone else can use it. Or I would give it away to a little kid that wants to start a cheapie perfume collection.

Some other alternatives for the use of the oil would be making some potpourri and giving it away or putting it in mop water for your deck. As you can see I have a problem with throwing anything away without reusing or recycling.

As for the amber bottle: I've cleaned out glass bottles before by soaking them over night in a water and dishwashing detergent solution then drying them and soaking them in rubbing alcohol. It's a two step process but it seems to work.

HTH.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I suggest you flush it down the potty.

Essential oils are harmless to the environment in small quantities (i.e. less than a gallon of just oils) Pour it outside in the grass, then use the soap and alcohol method mentioned by MysteryFemme.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I think rinsing thoroughly with perfumer's alcohol would be the recommended way to give it a final cleaning. A final rinse with alcohol and letting it dry well is also good for ensuring you don't have any water left before you put something new in.

(I used to use shockingly strong acid when I didn't have access to an autoclave, but even a tiny fingerprint inside my glassware would have thrown my titrations off).

A little unrelated but...

I had a shirt stained with car grease that needed cleaning once. I tried soaking it in detergent and nothing happened. I poured some perfumer's alcohol into the tub and the stains came off.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Rinse it with alcohol and then wash thoroughly in warm water with soap. If that doesn't help, boil it. Glass doesn't absorb anything, so you only have to get rid of the oil sticking to the bottle. The problem is with plastic parts (the lid, atomiser)...

I soak the bottles over night in hot soapy water then clean with alcohol. I dump stuff in the trash or use it for air freshener depending on how it smells. Cinnamon oil, forget it; throw the bottle out.