Code of Conduct

Default saffron is the new vanilla ?

after looking at the new tom ford's note pyramids and just cause I've had this idea in my head anyway, of substituting saffron for vanilla in things, I predict that we'll start seeing more saffron instead of vanilla in fragrances released over the next few years.

saffron won't be as widely accepted as vanilla, perhaps, but I think a lot of perfumers will be gravitating to it as a more juicy, sexy, amped up note to use in place of where vanilla notes have been used up till now. A spicy vanilla.

it seems that in general we're entering an era where people want a little "more" from fragrances, at least the people who are interested in the high end stuff. and I think saffron is kind of in the roland barthes sense a "perversion" of vanilla, meaning, vanilla plus "more". but this shift is analogous to something as innocent as taking honey instead of sugar in your tea. It's a logical consequence of the niche explosion if there is any logic to these things.

Anyway I wonder what some things would be like: saffron and lavender for instance. saffron and blackberry, saffron and. .. ?
    Last edited by supermarky; 7th March 2007 at 12:13 AM.

Default Re: saffron is the new vanilla ?

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    after looking at the new tom ford's note pyramids and just cause I've had this idea in my head anyway, of substituting saffron for vanilla in things, I predict that we'll start seeing more saffron instead of vanilla in fragrances released over the next few years.

saffron won't be as widely accepted as vanilla, perhaps, but I think a lot of perfumers will be gravitating to it as a more juicy, sexy, amped up note to use in place of where vanilla notes have been used up till now. A spicy vanilla.

it seems that in general we're entering an era where people want a little "more" from fragrances, at least the people who are interested in the high end stuff. and I think saffron is kind of in the roland barthes sense a "perversion" of vanilla, meaning, vanilla plus "more". but this shift is analogous to something as innocent as taking honey instead of sugar in your tea. It's a logical consequence of the niche explosion if there is any logic to these things.

Anyway I wonder what some things would be like: saffron and lavender for instance. saffron and blackberry, saffron and. .. ?
    How about saffron and synthetic civet?

Basenotes Institution

Totally agree - I've smelled it's potency in the latest Hermessence 'Paprika Brasil' (which was criticized by most bloggers - I luv it).

I'd love to smell saffron and any wood/sap notes

For those of us who love fine Indian cuisine, this is good news.

I was surprised at how much I liked L'Artisan's Safran Troublant. Don't know if it's bottleworthy, but it's very wearable.

Now I have a craving for chicken vindaloo served over vegetable biryani.