Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default New Coach perfume - I got a sample!!!

My boyfriend purchased lot's of stuff from Coach (the leather bag store) last Christmas & they added him to their Preferred Customer list. In yesterday's mail, they mailed him a small purse spray (in the cutest little box...on a silver chain [very Hermes style]) of the new perfume, being released Monday, March 5th in stores, online, etc...

I can't WAIT to try it!

It's one of the scents I've been anticipating in '07 (along with the Tom Ford-ies, and Ice*Men by Mugler)...I hope after all the hype I don't hate it.

I will post a follow up probably on Monday, in this thread.

p.s. - the bottle looks NOTHING like the renderings that I saw on Now Smell This...that bottle looked like a cigarette - the actual bottle is clear, rectangular glass with a winged glass tip and those Coach 'c' logo emblazoned all over the glass. It's OK, but it's a little TOO MUCH LOGO for my style. I still feel like a 'rock star' though, for having this before it's released. YAY!

Default Re: New Coach perfume - I got a sample!!!

Is this being released as a men's or unisex fragrance?

Basenotes Institution

Great question - the marketing does not say woman/man/unisex - but the marketing (on the box) has a woman holding a large bottle of the perfume, so I'm thinking Coach is marketing it to women (who are probably the larger portion of the Coach customers...I would guess?)

Is this the same boyfriend that steals your colognes? DON'T EVEN LET HIM SMELL IT! Haha! That'll teach him! Just kidding of course, but sounds like you'll have fun.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_
    Is this the same boyfriend that steals your colognes? DON'T EVEN LET HIM SMELL IT! Haha! That'll teach him!
    R$O$F$L$!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_
    Is this the same boyfriend that steals your colognes? DON'T EVEN LET HIM SMELL IT! Haha! That'll teach him! Just kidding of course, but sounds like you'll have fun.
    - Rich
    This is the same guy - I think he's still trying to 'make up' for the Black XS he stole So, it was given to me un-sampled, I'm happy to report.

Haven't done a full sample wearing yet - but the spray on my wrist last night (I was DYING to smell it) yielded two notes distinctly: GARDENIA and SOAP.

Promising - but, I'll let you know tomorrow when it's my SOTD.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    GARDENIA and SOAP.
    Hey Mike, What were the base notes? My guess is the soap note lead the performance. (???)

Basenotes Institution

OK - I gave the new Coach a full wearing yesterday:

Starts out REALLY GARDENIA-ish. I didn't get the violets, and maybe I got the lily (not sure) but definitely a soft velvelty (not powdery) gardenia note. I got NO guava (which sucked, because I was looking forward to the guava). BTW - I like gardenia but now that 'Kai' is huge, I tend to approach 'gardenia' notes in frags as a Kai - wanna-be.

An hour or so after application I got the honey notes, the gardenia faded and it became much more 'herbal'...sorry to be so general. The middle was my least favorite part.

The drydown then immediately turned soapy & then a very faint sandalwood that disappeared as soon as my nose left my skin. 2-3 hours it was gone.

I'm disappointed. I think Coach was trying to still remain serious with this scent, while also appealing to the young fragrance wearers of today (or should I say, of the demographic that buys Coach bags...). However it's just not complex enough for me to add to my Wardrobe. I also imagine many men out there in BN, wouldn't be caught DEAD in such a gardenia-heavy fragrance (maybe that's why all of the advertising copy I saw, had women in them). This is not, IMO, a unisex scent.

Would love to hear other BN's who've smelled it & your comments/thoughts.