Code of Conduct
o

Default Chanel Les Exclusifs

I just got decants of the six new Exclusifs (eek!), and I was wondering if anyone else did, or has had a chance to test them. Does anyone have any interest in exploring them with me? I am too excited to spray them wildly about, so I'm going to be more methodical. But I couldn't resist one...and I'll just say: the iris is divine. EEEEEK!!!!
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chanel Les Exclusifs

I'm interested. How & where does one get samples?

Quinpus, did you test the 28 La Pausa?

I am deeply, completely, enormously in love with almost all the Exclusifs. They are divine!
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

I am turning a deep shade of green ( envy is such a negative emotion!) right now.

kumquat and tdi, i got mine from pepperpatty on basenotes. you can probably get samples, though i got decants. i'm not sure about the boutiques. someone on here (i think it's purplebird?) has called them and even provided a number on here for us to call. that might be worth exploring.

lievje, yes, it was the 28 la pausa and omg. i don't even LIKE iris, but this was heavenly. i'm totally converted. i'm about to be totally, enormously broke! must...use...decant...sparingly...

For sure, call Chanel U.S. I'm sure they will give you the phone number of a boutique near you that can mail them.
    (800) 550-0005

Blog Entries

Purplebird, A boutique near us? That's in relation to, say, the moon, I guess. Good idea. I had no idea they could be so accommodating.

Basenotes Institution

Have nothing serious to add, just LOL at kumquat comment about the moon!
    Currently wearing: Omnia Paraiba by Bulgari

Oh, hie yourself to the nearest Chanel boutique if you can!!!

I just came back from lunch -- luckily both the Guerlain and Chanel boutiques are just down the street from where I work.

I just sampled them on blotters.... they are real divine (quoting Quinpus!). They even gave out samples (looks like 2 to 3ml?), in the shape of the new bottle, limit of two per client. I selected the 31 rue cambon and coromandel. Can't wait to go home and sample them! It's going to be fun tonight!

BTW, for those of you interested, they also have the No 22, Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie and Gardenia, in the 200ml bottles.

Although I expected the most from 31 Rue Cambon and #18, I was somewhat disappointed in those two.
    The first one does not smell particularly of chypre (even without oakmoss) and it is interesting, but not that great as it was touted to be.
    The second one, #18 has such a weird opening that renders it unwearable to me. The drydown is softer, but I expected so much more natural muskiness and it does not deliver. It's pale and limp, although it sweetens pleasantly.

The one I liked so far (haven't tried them all yet) is Coromonadel, which is a nice enough oriental with patchouli, reminiscent of Borneo in some aspects. Then again Borneo is much more innovative and lasting. Of course that would be a plus for people who want a softer, easier frag.

I am holding out for the iris one, I might like it.

Will soon blog about them all I guess.

I walked into the Chanel boutique in Bal Harbour Fla; I just couldn't resist-everything I had read in the fashion magazines forced me to do it. I bought the 31 Rue Cambon ( a buck and three quarters plus tax, if you please) and by the time I got home it smelled so oriental on me (or maybe it's what you more experienced noses call chypre- am not sure) that I scrubbed my wrists with alcohol. I assume that the ingredients are very high quality, because it was difficult to remove the scent from my skin. I returned it the following day, and they were very accomodating. I tried No. 18, and it smelled just like a gin and tonic. Cuir De Russie and Coromandel, too heavy and oriental (
    chypre??). Bois Des Isles, Bel Respiro and No.22 dried down on me as too powdery. Armed with the information that I love Cristalle and despise Chance, they suggested 28 La Pausa. At first the smack of - is it iris??- seemed not suitable to me at all, but the saleswoman told me to walk around for a half hour and come back. It developed so nicely on my skin- it was delightful. Would love to hear other's comments on these 10 new fragrances- although, to my inexperienced nose, some of them smell a lot like some of the other Chanel things already out there.

i have now tried three of these: 29 la pausa (the iris), 31 rue cambon (the new chypre) and bel respiro (the hay/green one). the iris was the biggest revelation, as i have not liked iris up to this point. they are all beautiful, refined, elegant frags, but they are as untouchable as marble statues. they all smell expensive to me, and they also seem like they've always been around, which has the effect of making them seem derivative. they definitely have a connectedness, a chanel-ade, and you can see the logic behind the launch.

i guess. i'm not in love? they all smell as expensive and elegant as you could ever want. but they are not habitable. they are like corsets or facelifts...artifice.

thoughts?

If those are corsets, strap me in.
    I want them.
    Hehe.
    I will bend myself to fit.
    Isn't it strange, I will do that for a perfume, but not for shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by helg
    The one I liked so far (haven't tried them all yet) is Coromonadel, which is a nice enough oriental with patchouli, reminiscent of Borneo in some aspects. Then again Borneo is much more innovative and lasting. Of course that would be a plus for people who want a softer, easier frag.
    Thx for sharing your opinion helg!

Coromandel is the one I'm most interested in, but if Borneo - which I truly, madly and deeply love - is better (=more innovative and stronger), then I probably won't need Coromandel. That would actually be kinda cool, since I have absolutely nothing against sparing "a few" bucks ;-)

-Tero-

Really like 31. I like the rest of them, too, except for Coromandel.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I tried all of them at the NYC boutique; very good sales associates btw. The big surprise for me was Cormandel. I didn't much care for it immediately upon application but after about 20 minutes it settled down into the sexiest scent I have EVER experienced.
    The Rue Cambon & Bel Respiro were the other two I considered. All of them smelled wonderful but for the money, I wanted something that would last. Cormandel was simply amazing! Many, many hours after all traces of RC & BR evaporated, Comandel was present & accounted for.
    Although I can appreciate many of the Serge Lutens fragrances, I simply cannot wear most of them.
    Cormandel might have some similarities with SL Borneo but I can enjoy Cormandel. I can't say the same for the Serge Lutens.
    Small decisions, made consistently, have huge impacts. Think about what you do, be mindful of the results. Accept responsibility for your choices & do not blame others for your behavior. I speak for myself.

what about the unisex cologne? any sniff?

Quote Originally Posted by quinpus
    they all smell expensive to me, and they also seem like they've always been around, which has the effect of making them seem derivative. they definitely have a connectedness, a chanel-ade, and you can see the logic behind the launch.

i guess. i'm not in love? they all smell as expensive and elegant as you could ever want. but they are not habitable. they are like corsets or facelifts...artifice.

thoughts?
    I agree with you. I do not think Polges is a terribly innovative perfumer anyway and the niche turn of the house seems utterly pretentious and cashing in on the market looking for exclusivity. It's no accident that they followed the paradigm of Hermessences, Dior exclusives and Armani Prive.
    They felt they had to.

All of the six new scents remind me of other existing frags, Chanel or non-Chanel.
    When the initial excitement over them subsides it will be plainly obvious that these will not revolutionize the industry. Sadly, no.....

@GGA:

Yes, the Lutens is stronger, more lasting (altho Coromandel was quite good in lasting) and more modern, more daring. Has guts!

Quote Originally Posted by helg
    I agree with you. I do not think Polges is a terribly innovative perfumer anyway and the niche turn of the house seems utterly pretentious and cashing in on the market looking for exclusivity. It's no accident that they followed the paradigm of Hermessences, Dior exclusives and Armani Prive.
    They felt they had to.

All of the six new scents remind me of other existing frags, Chanel or non-Chanel.
    When the initial excitement over them subsides it will be plainly obvious that these will not revolutionize the industry. Sadly, no.....
    @GGA:
    I agree. Having Sheldrake onboard will do nothing for Chanel.

Dior, Chanel and Guerlain have been off their game for far too long.

Guerlain and Dior have been swamping the market with tired, uninspired, pedestrian juice for over two decades now, while "chic" Chanel hasn't done much better. Come on Chanel, Antaeus was over 25 years ago, and No.5 (or insert your favorite No.X here) was over half a century ago. The rise (and recognition) of niche perfumery has turned the heat on these once great houses, and that fear is illustrated in the three companies willingness to launch "exclusif" lines.
    -