Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Had your new scent 'stolen' from you?

I don't mean 'stolen' as in, burglarized. I mean stolen from you by a friend/spouse/fellow fragrance junkie?

One of the fragrances that I had hearing lots of good things about, for a while, was Paco Rabanne Black XS. I remember reading a review by Marlen (Perfumecritic.com) that called it "goth Pez" and I loved that description and couldn't wait to smell it (plus the Paco Rabanne ads for the scent were very...stimulating: the young hottie in the ad was sporting a six pack, tattoos, buzzed short hair & a long chain; very 'thug Abercrombie').

I literally went to atleast 20 different stores (department stores, Perfumania-esque stores, kiosks at the mall) and NOONE had a tester for me to sniff. They all kept saying 'We have Paco Rabanne XS' - which I tried and did not like. This only continued to increase my obsession about the Black XS - I just HAD to smell it. I almost blind bought it (it's pretty inexpensive on Ebay), but then I found a fellow BN member who swapped me a half-bottle for my half-bottle of Marc Jacobs.

As soon as it arrived I opened it at home, in front of my partner (not a fragrance junkie like me) and when I sprayed it, he instantly fell in love with it. I had literally not even smelled it for 10 seconds on my skin & he had already proclaimed this was his new fragrance. And then it was gone - out of my hands & he has been wearing it every day this week (receiving lots of compliments, I might add...hmphh!!).

I like my Black XS - don't get me wrong (it smells like Smuckers Strawberry jam on me). But, jeez, I wanted to like it all by myself for atleast a couple of weeks, Is that selfish of me?

Any similiar stories out there in BaseNotes - I'd love to hear them...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Had your new scent 'stolen' from you?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    I don't mean 'stolen' as in, burglarized. I mean stolen from you by a friend/spouse/fellow fragrance junkie?

One of the fragrances that I had hearing lots of good things about, for a while, was Paco Rabanne Black XS. I remember reading a review by Marlen (Perfumecritic.com) that called it "goth Pez" and I loved that description and couldn't wait to smell it (plus the Paco Rabanne ads for the scent were very...stimulating: the young hottie in the ad was sporting a six pack, tattoos, buzzed short hair & a long chain; very 'thug Abercrombie').

I literally went to atleast 20 different stores (department stores, Perfumania-esque stores, kiosks at the mall) and NOONE had a tester for me to sniff. They all kept saying 'We have Paco Rabanne XS' - which I tried and did not like. This only continued to increase my obsession about the Black XS - I just HAD to smell it. I almost blind bought it (it's pretty inexpensive on Ebay), but then I found a fellow BN member who swapped me a half-bottle for my half-bottle of Marc Jacobs.

As soon as it arrived I opened it at home, in front of my partner (not a fragrance junkie like me) and when I sprayed it, he instantly fell in love with it. I had literally not even smelled it for 10 seconds on my skin & he had already proclaimed this was his new fragrance. And then it was gone - out of my hands & he has been wearing it every day this week (receiving lots of compliments, I might add...hmphh!!).

I like my Black XS - don't get me wrong (it smells like Smuckers Strawberry jam on me). But, jeez, I wanted to like it all by myself for atleast a couple of weeks, Is that selfish of me?

Any similiar stories out there in BaseNotes - I'd love to hear them...
    Mike,

It hasn't happened to me (yet), but that may just mean that I don't own anything that is really worth stealing!

How sad that your partner would confiscate your scent from you! On the other hand, and speaking as a 42-year-old gay man who's NEVER had a serious relationship, I would trade a fragrance for true love any day! I realize that that's probably HERESY to many here on Basenotes, but please don't go TOO HARD on me: maybe I'm just not a true "Basenotes junkie" yet! ;-)

George

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, your story gives me a new-found appreciation of my boyfriend's unwavering allegiance to cK one: at least my own scent choices are safely mine! (Plus it smells really good on him.)

And George, I think your priorities are right -- and I hope you find your true love!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    But, jeez, I wanted to like it all by myself for atleast a couple of weeks, Is that selfish of me?
    No it is not selfish of you; it is inconsiderate of your partner. You searched high and low for the frag, only to have it hijacked upon finally acquiring it. Live and learn. I will have to remember this. I've not had any frags hihacked yet but now I know what to watch out for. Test frags in private. I don't want anyone telling me "Ok, you can have any of those but I'm taking this one!" I'm in this obsession for me, nobody else.

Unfortunately, experience, as opposed to instruction, tends to be the better teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

During my senior year of high school I owned a bottle of Herrera for Men. My dad liked it then took it.
    -iStink

I had worn Angel for Men (I am pretty sure it was only called Angel for Men when it first came out. Not A*men) for about 4 years undisturbed. Then on vacation in Vegas my friend wanted to know the name of the scent I kept getting complimented on. I told him and it took him a while to hunt it down.
    Since he bought it he has not stopped applying 8 sprays every day. About a year later when I was wearing it I got accused of smelling like my friend. Angel Men was never the same to me after that. I only wear it once in a while now.
    Now when my friends compliment me they know better than to ask me what it is.

REcently there has been some love for Black XS

Hooray! one of the first in my collection and have still not smelled anything quite like it
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That really sucks, Mike!!! I think that's REALLY inconsiderate of him, especially if he knew how hard you searched for that. Sheesh.

I've never had a scent stolen from me per se...just people who like some of my frags so much that they go out and purchase THEIR OWN bottles. Now we just have to make sure we're not wearing the same frag on the nights we go out, lol.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

I have a strict rule of not telling ANY male acquaintances what I'm wearing, unless it's something that's difficult to get in this country or where I know the price would put them off copying me.

I'll tell female friends what I'm wearing if they really really REALLY want to know, but this is a potential danger zone. Just imagine, if you will, that they decide to buy some of this scent for their SO, but one fateful day that relationship ends; never again will you be able to wear that particular fragrant delight in their presence lest they burst into tears from the memory of their one-time love. Mind you, it could work the other way round if the fragrance was nice enough i.e. "I always thought it smelled nicer on you than that horrible beast I used to be with" /cue extra cuddles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear
    I have a strict rule of not telling ANY male acquaintances what I'm wearing, unless it's something that's difficult to get in this country or where I know the price would put them off copying me.

I'll tell female friends what I'm wearing if they really really REALLY want to know, but this is a potential danger zone. Just imagine, if you will, that they decide to buy some of this scent for their SO, but one fateful day that relationship ends; never again will you be able to wear that particular fragrant delight in their presence lest they burst into tears from the memory of their one-time love. Mind you, it could work the other way round if the fragrance was nice enough i.e. "I always thought it smelled nicer on you than that horrible beast I used to be with" /cue extra cuddles
    Biffo,

There's another side to that. Perhaps smelling the scent on someone else will trigger PLEASANT memories of someone whom they loved, like a brother or other relative, a teacher or something. I don't worry too much if other men (or women) are wearing the same things that I wear (I mean, ARAMIS isn't exactly a rarity). If it suits me, I don't care if others like it too. And they say that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." I also happen to believe that, due to factors that tend to vary from person to person (like skin tone and oil, as well as pH of the skin), the same fragrance usually smells different depending on who is wearing it. Unless you're like me, of course, and you intentionally overapply whatever you are wearing so that it drowns out everything else! ;-)

By the way: I remember that *I* stole my dad's Old Spice from him when I was a kid. I liked it, and I'm not sure that he cared one bit because he never used it anyway! ;-)

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Love everyone's stories...

I have to admit, part of my reaction to smelling Black XS on him is that I tend to tire of fragrances quicker when I'm smelling them on my partner AND me.

Will learn how to 'discover' new scents all by myself FIRST, from now on. That way he can only get excited about all of the scents that I hate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Le Pew
    Biffo,

There's another side to that. Perhaps smelling the scent on someone else will trigger PLEASANT memories of someone whom they loved, like a brother or other relative, a teacher or something. I don't worry too much if other men (or women) are wearing the same things that I wear (I mean, ARAMIS isn't exactly a rarity). If it suits me, I don't care if others like it too. And they say that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." I also happen to believe that, due to factors that tend to vary from person to person (like skin tone and oil, as well as pH of the skin), the same fragrance usually smells different depending on who is wearing it. Unless you're like me, of course, and you intentionally overapply whatever you are wearing so that it drowns out everything else! ;-)

By the way: I remember that *I* stole my dad's Old Spice from him when I was a kid. I liked it, and I'm not sure that he cared one bit because he never used it anyway! ;-)
    Absolutely! I was being a little tongue-in-cheek When all's said and done, having friends that like you for -who- you are is the most important thing, but I just think that it's nice to have something a little bit special that's 'yours'!

I am waiting for the day one of my sons steals a scent of mine. As that day approaches perhaps I will start a pool as to which one it will be (fragrance and son). As it stands right now they are only 10 and 8 so I believe I got plenty of time.

I think I would be insulted if they take a pass on my collection altogether. But I need to admit that that is a distinct possibility. Who wants to smell like their Dad at their prom for instance.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought a scent for my spouse because I admired it. I would have worn it myself on occasion, but it's been monopolized and has become a signature scent to the exclusion of all others. So now, I can't wear it ever. We can't very well wear the same thing now, can we?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

I never had a fragrance stolen from me but I did have a girlfriend who asked me not to wear cologne while I was with her. I could understand if it was due to an allergy, headaches and/or there were some particular fragrances she didn't like but it was just an arbitrary "No Cologne" desire. So I guess in a way she was trying to take ALL of my colognes away from me. Anyway, it didn't take me long to dump her! I'm now dating a woman who, while she is not very adventurous with her selection of cologne, only Hanae Mori Butterfly, is very supportive of my addiction!
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

In my case it was actually stolen (really stolen, not in quotes). I bought David Beckham Instinct on a trip to Europe about a year ago. I checked in my luggage and it was unlocked per US Transportation Security Admin rules. There was an exclusive check-in procedure for US-bound passengers. When I landed in NY and got home, Instinct was gone. It was obviously pilfered by one of the luggage inspectors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow! I don't have anything near that. That was intense and very wrong of your friend to do. I try not to show my friends the collection just in case they smell something they love. I've already come close to giving away some secrets. I would never be able to handle someone wearing the same scent as me. My friends in highschool would always be aware of the collection and make sure never to buy something the others had. We were all on basenotes at one time.

I did really want Dior Homme a while back. I was looking everywhere. I couldn't go to the stores and I couldn't smell it where I was. I heard so many great thing about it and it was the fragrance for a long time. I wanted it so bad. All my BN idols were buying it and giving amazing reviews for it. I just had to have it. I finally bought a used bottle, blind, from a friend here. I fell in love with it and it instantly gained a spot in my top 5. I smelled it shortly after on a kid in my dorm. I don't know if it was just to spite me but he walked by me more than anyone else, in the history of walking, has walked by another person. I smelled it throughout my entire meal. It was so good but I secretly cursed that man. I didn't want another wearing my prized new scent...

Not really, but i was told: "relinquish your Minotaure perfume or else"...

i didn't know whether to laugh or be serious.

it was a joke, but i still gave it away (that was my first minotaure, later on i got another one)

Post Thanks / Like

It happened twice in my life and it was the same thief. I have a habit of carrying a scent in my handbag for touchup. This lovely friend of mine often borrow my scents for a few spritzes when we go out (which I don't mind). She tried on the D&G Light Blue AND Prescriptive's Calyx which she loved it too much and asked if she could have them.
    I was a little upset for the lost of Prescriptive's Calyx, but the Light Blue smells a lot better on her.
    We have been friends for more than a decade, I would give it away regardless.

I'll get complimented occasionally, but fortunately for me, most have not heard of the scent I'm wearing. I'm also confident that if they knew how much I paid for any of these, they would further be discouraged. Good for me!

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I've had my wife steal a few colognes from time to time. I won't notice they're missing until I want to wear it and if it's not in my drawer I'll look in her's and sure enough...there it is. It's been going on for years so I'm use to it by now.

Post Thanks / Like

No, not at all. My wife, stragely, has very little interest in fragrances, despite all the nice things I have gotten for her. C'est domage.

Joe

PS Heritage or l'homme de couer would smell great on her, I think.