Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gonna buy 1 or 2 of YSL line tomorrow Friday

Hi, tomorrow I'm going to test and buy 1 or 2 scents from YSL line. I will try not to forget the coffee beans! However, I'm afraid that my olfactory sense might go weak and then make another mistake, which I once did with Lanvin Oxygene! I'd have about 1 hour for the test and purchasing.

I have tested Kouros and Rive Gauche about 10 months ago. I will forget the former and keep the latter in the wishlist. My questions are here.

1. Is there any scents from this house that smells gothic, melancholy, romantic or even forlorn? I want something like that for the gloomy day. I haven't yet tried Opium, Jazz or Body Kouros. However, the reviews in the directory for YSL frags are good. But with my budget I wouldn't buy more than 2 from YSL as I am looking forward to add Baldessarini to my growing collection.

2. I do wonder if you have ever got the compliment from wearing Kouros at all? What was it like?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

P.S. My collection is getting larger. Last 365 day I had only 15-18 bottles and now, as you see, about 70!
    Last edited by KiatBkk; 22nd February 2007 at 04:02 PM.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gonna buy 1 or 2 of YSL line tomorrow Friday

m7 is the only scent that I can think of that's kinda appropriate for gloomy days.

Although hard to like is YSL pour homme original released in 1974. I just love this scent but some people will say that you'll smell like either a lemon scented dish cleaner or hair tonic. It's an acquired taste, it seemed like a simple scent but actually much more complex.

Or Live Jazz/Body Kouros are pretty decent.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Try BK, BK, and more BK! I can't speak for everyone here, but this is my by-and-far my favorite YSL, and I wish everyone could experience it!

Post Thanks / Like

Stick with M7 and OPIUM EDP

I was wearing KOUROS a few months back and i advised my girlfriend as i walked through the door.. to hold on tight to her underwear!!

She said she couldnt.. as she needed both hands for her nose...

Down to body chemistry on this one.. Potent stuff for sure!!!!!
    Last edited by deck89; 22nd February 2007 at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go for M7, i base this on some of your other choises such as Safari and Gentleman..wish I could go shopping in Bangkok tommorrow, it's pissing down here in Scotland!Good luck!
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

Post Thanks / Like

Opium Pour Homme EdP is definitely the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk

1. Is there any scents from this house that smells gothic, melancholy, romantic or even forlorn? I want something like that for the gloomy day. I haven't yet tried Opium, Jazz or Body Kouros. However, the reviews in the directory for YSL frags are good. But with my budget I wouldn't buy more than 2 from YSL as I am looking forward to add Baldessarini to my growing collection.
    Goths are said to like Patchouli, so the earthiness of Rive Gauche is the best bet. I would say Kouros with it's incense might fit also (see below). For romance (softer), Opium (beware, very sweet opening, esp. the EdT version) or Body Kouros are the ones to try imho. Jazz to my nose is too classy and sophisticated (iirc). (I like parentheses, by the way)

2. I do wonder if you have ever got the compliment from wearing Kouros at all? What was it like?
    I don't seem to be the guy people approach and tell he smells good, BUT:
    my girlfriend loves Kouros on me, it's her favourite scent of my wardrobe. I love it as well, but it indeed takes a bit to get used to the strength of it. There is no better clubbing scent than this, it really comes out best in warm/hot environments, and it mixes nicely with the smoke .

Another BUT: There are quite a number of variations of Kouros (not Body Kouros), like Cologne Sport, Fraicheur and the summer versions. Maybe you want to give these a try, they are not as harsh as Kouros can be.
    Last edited by fakepurseninja; 22nd February 2007 at 08:12 PM.

Obviously you are the only one who can make the final decision, but I'd advise you to try Body Kouros and M7 first (based on your wardrobe). Body Kouros is the only YSL frag that I like but maybe your personal tastes will go for something else. As for the original Kouros, I think you should try this one last - it may overpower everything else you test afterwards!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, tomorrow I'm going to test and buy 1 or 2 scents from YSL line. I will try not to forget the coffee beans! However, I'm afraid that my olfactory sense might go weak and then make another mistake, which I once did with Lanvin Oxygene! I'd have about 1 hour for the test and purchasing.

I have tested Kouros and Rive Gauche about 10 months ago. I will forget the former and keep the latter in the wishlist. My questions are here.

P.S. My collection is getting larger. Last 365 day I had only 15-18 bottles and now, as you see, about 70!
    Opium and M7 both smell some kind of gothic.
    And yes, I got several compliments from the ladies on Kouros. Kouros is my favourite scent by the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Opium homme eau de parfum

M7 is a gray day frag for me. One of my favs too.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh well, thanks for all the comments. I was disappointed as they only had Live Jazz, Kouros and Rive Gauche. They had Opium but it was the female version. I tested it anyway and liked it and it helped me imagine how the male version would be like!

And guess what! I ended up leaving the place with 125 ml of Rive Gauche and 15 ml of Kouros, lol. I'd love to get Live Jazz too but as they only offer 30% discount I will wait for a better chance to buy.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

YSL is a house whose mens fragrances are some of my favorites.

Dark and gothic? M7 might do the trick. Its far superior to the fruity Baldessarini.

Also give Opium pour homme EDP a sniff - its spicy and sweet and very very nice. Excellent, infact (I havent tested the EDT, but I hear its inferior)

Kouros? The trick here is to spray it from a distance, and no more than 3 sprays - it will surely get you some "comments".
    -

They had Opium but it was the female version. I tested it anyway and liked it and it helped me imagine how the male version would be like!
    Don't blind-buy Opium pour Homme based on the female one. They aren't that close, the original Opium is from the seventies and you can tell it is.