Code of Conduct

Default Anvers 2 Reviewed

I rarely get the scoop on anything around Basenotes, but I picked up a bottle of Anvers 2 over the weekend and am ready to report.

The fragrance opens with a very interesting combo - fruity and smooth citrus (as opposed to sharp), a touch green/herbal basil, and something reminiscent of the doughy note in Bois Farine. The dough is not nearly as prominent as in BF, so don't get scared off, but it is notable. The top notes last a good 30 minutes as they slowly blend into the floral heart. I miss the rose altogether but the jasmine, lily, and mimosa are well done and actually come off better than the notes sound. I cannot pickout wood or vetiver specifically, but I think they are there to temper the florals and keep the whole mix masculine and smooth. The heart very naturally fades into the significantly sweeter (though never cloying) basenotes that are dominated by vanilla but colored by amber and tonka. Early in the drydown I get a cotton candy-like effect.

I would say that Anvers 2 is complex and masterfully blended with profound evolution. It is rather difficult to describe as no note holds prominence for too long and the transitions are flluid. The scent is reserved both in character and in sillage, hanging close to the skin. It does have decent longevity for a niche perfume, taking about 2 hours to dry down to the base and lasting another 2-3 hours after that.

The thing I like most about Anvers 2 is that it is very "wearable" - a problem I find with many niche scents is that while they are interesting, I'd never want to smell like them. I walked into Aedes with a $100 gift card and among all those perfume jewels I walked out with Anvers 2.

Top notes of bergamot, lime, lemon, black pepper, wild basil, rhubarb and cypress.

Heart notes of Bulgarian rose, jasmine, lily, mimosa, blond woods (cedarwood, sandalwood) and vetiver.

Base notes of tonka bean, vanilla, musk, amber, olibanum and oakmoss

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Anvers 2 Reviewed

Quote Originally Posted by FatTony
    I walked into Aedes with a $100 gift card and among all those perfume jewels I walked out with Anvers 2.
    Wow, if I had to choose one scent at Aedes, I think my head would explode

Good choice - not sure I would've chosen it (I was disappointed with Anvers) but Anvers 2 sounds yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    Good choice - not sure I would've chosen it (I was disappointed with Anvers) but Anvers 2 sounds yummy.
    I have this love & hate relationship with Anvers. Whenever I wear it, it conjures up images of grey wool. The only reason why I like it, is because it compliments this grey wool coat I usually wear. They both work well with each other, but the scent itself on this own, I just don't dig it. Sometimes it just smells like a modern Drakkar Noir to my nose.

But I still think Anvers 2 is still worth a try, hopefully more people will review, and I'll try to get a hold of a sample.

Wearing it right now. I would say it is a comfort scent. I feel relaxed and peaceful wearing it. I will give it a full wearing tomorrow, but for now I am glad I got it. Easy to wear for sure but not too common.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents
    Wearing it right now. I would say it is a comfort scent. I feel relaxed and peaceful wearing it. I will give it a full wearing tomorrow, but for now I am glad I got it. Easy to wear for sure but not too common.

Good call on "comfort scent"

Looking forward to your thoughts

-T

Good Review...
    I received this last week and have worn it once...
    It does transform as you say.....I don't get the "sweetness" part but I do get the Comfort part....The evolution of the scent is what makes it interesting...from about hr 1-2 I get a Santal Noble relationship....but after that....its pretty unique for me.

I am really not very good at picking out notes in fragrances and my ability to write comprehensive reviews is not very good. What I prefer to do with Anvers 2 is just give a short list of things that it brings to mind...

Daim Blond - SL
    Bois Farine - L'Artisan
    Play-do feeling at times but faint, almost like moist soil.
    A suede warmth in the drydown
    A little hint of fruit (rhubarb?) playing peek-a-boo during the evolution

I am 3 hours into a full wearing and I really like it alot. Subtle, and comforting..but again..I think...unique enough.

Update: I am 4 hours into the full wearing and I am beginning to get subtle waves of something wonderful (floral) wafting up with the suede- amber- oakmoss base. Oh my!
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 23rd February 2007 at 03:04 PM.