Code of Conduct

Default Has anyone tried Guerlain Vetiver Extreme?

When I was browsing the Sephora website today, I saw a new Guerlain Vetiver Extreme (link).

They say that this new version intensifies the green and woody notes... has anyone tried this?
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Has anyone tried Guerlain Vetiver Extreme?

Well, seems like Guerlain is ready to give the male fragrance market what it wants-edp versions. The Guerlain's L'Instant Extreme, marked as edp, is different from the orginal, long lived and richer.

I will look for the new Vetiver Extreme.

I think this Extreme version came out during the summer. I do not recall offhand, but there was info about it in past threads. Sorry, I don't remember anything about it though!

And what about Vetiver Sport? How does it stack up?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

"Created in 1959 by Jean Paul Guerlain at the age of 22, Vetiver is an expression of natural elegance, designed for the open-minded, instinctive, powerful man."

What the heck was I doing when I was 22?

I haven't tried this, but I'm also interested.

This Extreme Version has more green and wood notes in it. Also TONKA!!
    Sounds very interesting. No tobacco listed either.

The normal one also has Tonka, according to the directory. I would like to have a less sharp version, but I think Extreme goes in the opposite direction...

Vetiver is one of those scents that I feel I cannot wear even though I like them.

I have tried Vetiver Sport only once, but remember it to be with more citrus and less earthiness, just what you would expect from a summer version of Vetiver. Still not quite for me

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz
    And what about Vetiver Sport? How does it stack up?
    Many of the "purists" don't like it.

I like it quite a bit. It's a lighter more citrusy version of the original.

But don't listen to me, I like the new version of Vetiver as much as the original formula

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I just got Guerlain's Vetiver Frozen/eau Glacee depending on which side of the box you look at. Yesterday I see a Sport and today I see Intense.
    I'm busy just looking at them all and someones gonna say there's an edp for all of them.
    Jury's still out on the Frozen. It's lighter than the regular juice.
    Just look at the selection of Guerlains at 1stperfume.com
    They have Derby and... Metallica!!!! and it was only 5 minutes after Guerlain released it that Metallica sued them!

I've got Eau Glacee/Vetiver Frozen as well as the reformulated "normal" Vetiver. I strongly suspect that Frozen is pretty much the same juice as Sport. Sort of the way Dior did different summer names for the same juice of Fahrenheit summer juice. I don't know this for sure, but when I've tested Vetiver Sport it smells the same as my memory of Frozen. I was talking about this with a friend on the board, who had both, and he said it was only the completists who needed to get Frozen and Sport; that I was fine having only the Frozen bottle from which to draw my summer-theme Guerlain Vetiver juice. Maybe he meant they were very close to each other, maybe he meant they were the same, I don't know, but I thought they smelled the same.

Oh boy I'll buy the extreme as soon as it comes around. You betcha. That's different for certain--Vetiver Frozen is edt.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Overcome By Fumes

I am interested to try this new one too.

I have the Frozen, and passed on the Sport. As I recall the Sport has an aquatic topnote while the Frozen accentuated a citrus topnote instead--a minor difference really as the bases all seem very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Oh boy I'll buy the extreme as soon as it comes around. You betcha. That's different for certain--Vetiver Frozen is edt.
    --Chris
    Vetiver Extreme is already available at Sephora.com in the US... heck, you could buy it blind right now, for all I care.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I'm liking the Frozen after a few tests. A zingy citrus at the top and a lot of vetiver on the bottom. I think it lasts longer and has more silage than the Vetiver from '61 which I'm comparing it to.
    Has anyone seen a 4.2oz mens Guerlain with a spray attachment?
    The extreme has the "embodiment of simplicity and vitality", along with a style that is "Simple. Elegant. Vibrant" according to Sephora.
    A little like a dessert topping and a floor wax.

try Salvador Dali's Aqua Verde - dirt cheap on ebay
    Basenoters who have bought it (myself and the other guy) also bought

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel (1990)
    Ungaro III by Ungaro (1993)
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain (2004)
    Lalique pour Homme Equus by Lalique (2001)
    Antaeus by Chanel (1981)
    that's not bad company

I was just in a Sephora in Bethesda this evening, and saw this new Vetiver Extreme. I was too covered with previous scents sampled at Nordstrom's, so I got a sample vial and will wear tomorrow. However, sadly, Vetiver Extreme remains an EDT like the original.

Got a sample vial of Vetiver Extreme at Sephora. I plan on a side by side with the regular. A spray on the back of the hand at the store tells me it is less citrus in the opening, more vetiver and more sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani
    I was just in a Sephora in Bethesda this evening, and saw this new Vetiver Extreme. I was too covered with previous scents sampled at Nordstrom's, so I got a sample vial and will wear tomorrow. However, sadly, Vetiver Extreme remains an EDT like the original.
    Ok, I wore this yesterday, along with a comparison to Vetiver Sport. Vetiver Extreme opens surprisingly close to the regular version of Guerlain Vetiver. There is a little less citrus, thereby accentuating the vetiver a little more, and I discerned no appreciable tobacco in Vetiver Extreme from start to finish; this is perhaps the biggest difference with the regular version. Vetiver Extreme was also no longer-lasting than the regular version, which makes sense since it is still an EDT. Overall, I did not like this as much as the regular issue; the tobacco note in the regular issue is one of its most distinctive features and one I like very much.

By contrast, Vetiver Sport opens with greater hesperidic (i.e., citrus) topnotes than either regular or Extreme, along with a prominent minty note! This is the biggest surprise, the significant minty note in this one. It recalls roughly YSL's Jazz Prestige and Versace's Green Jeans in the way in which mint is featured (i.e., definitely present but not the predominant note). The mint in Vetiver Sport is gone in about two hours, but the citrus notes, surprisingly, last and last; in excess of six hours. As Vetiver Sport develops, the vetiver assumes more center stage positioning and, like the Extreme version, tobacco is not a significant part of Sport.

So this was my experience with these two scents yesterday. The changes made in the Extreme version move it more more toward the vetiver scents from L'Artisan or Etro. Vetiver Sport, on the other hand, heightens the citrus topnotes and pairs them with a prominent and refreshing minty note. This could be a great one for summer.

Ultimately, however, I like the regular version of Guerlain Vetiver the best, the peerless combination of citrus, vetiver, tobacco, and pepper justifiably occupying a position in the Classics.

Jeff

wicozani, thanks for the reviews. No tobacco for me is a very good thing! I find that note persists for two days and interferes with other scents the next day. Really looking forward to trying this. Anyone know anything about a UK release?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews