Code of Conduct

Question Adding to my collection (soliciting comments).

Before I start I’d like to say that if this belongs on the “newbie” section, please let me know and I’ll put it there.

Anyway, here goes. I have a collection. Actually it’s not so much a “collection” as it is a variety on an olfactory theme that smells like me. I like smelling like me so I’m not keen on collecting scents that are outrageously different from the scents I’ve grown accustomed to wearing.

Bottles I own:
    · Chanel No. 5 parfum – actually this is No. 5 parfum combined with a vintage No. 5 cologne. Back in the day before I discovered fragrance boards, I only wore No. 5 and rose musk, and being ignorant, I poured some No. 5 pure parfum into a bottle of No. 5 cologne. It smells pretty great though. I have been wearing No. 5 for more than a decade.
    · Chanel No. 5 Sensual Elixir – don’t worry I won’t be pouring this into anything!
    · Chanel No. 19 parfum – not open yet… don’t know what I’m saving it for but I’m afraid it might get used up and then I’ll have to search the globe for more.
    · Demeter Sandalwood – for layering.
    · L’Artisan Patchouli Patch – travel size. I’m not a fan of Patchouli and I have swapped or given away most of it but from time to time I do wear this to picnics.
    · L’Artisan Ambre Extreme – travel size.
    · L’Artisan Passage D’Enfer – travel size.

Oils:
    · TBS vintage tea rose – TBS = “The Body Shop.”
    · TBS vintage rose musk.
    · TBS vintage vanilla.
    · Nemat – cinnamon bark, white musk, Egyptian musk, vanilla musk, frankincense, golden sandalwood (smells like an unwashed t-shirt sometimes).
    ...Also own some lavender essential oil that gets used almost daily in the hottest days of summer.

Minis of:
    · Vintage Mitsouko – ˝ ml left in the mini.
    · Organza Indesence (spelling?).
    · White Linen

Samples: many samples, some Serge, mostly niche. 30-40 samples.

I love layering. Most of the scents I own are in small, 15-30ml bottles. The largest is in a 50ml bottle. I’m extremely careful with my purchases so I’d like to ask advice about what to buy. This will be my first post-basenotes fragrance so I’d like it to be something special.

I recently turned 30 and I would like the fragrance to convey a certain sophistication, intelligence and timelessness. I still look like I’m 20 so I’d like to adorn myself in a way that will encourage people to take me seriously – I have been described as pixie-like. I am also quite a romantic/idealistic person and I enjoy quiet hobbies such as reading and painting so I can’t see myself pulling off something like Shalimar (although it’s nice, the scent is louder than me). By the way, I’m a creative writing graduate student. I’m also an Aquarius. I like cats. I like autumn. What else do you need to know? I think I’ll stop here before I post my entire CV online!

Here are purchases I am contemplating. I can only choose one. I might want to get it from eBay where it might be cheaper. Can you help me decide?

· Mitsouko edp – I have been looking for the edp because I’ve tested the edt and it’s too dusty (the parfum is too “dark”.) Does the edp even exist?
    · Parfums de Rosines Pouserrie de Rose – I have tried this and I like it but is it full bottle worthy?

Other suggestions?

Thank you for reading my post.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 24th February 2007 at 01:03 PM.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Default Re: Adding to my collection (soliciting comments).

Mysteryfemme, it is really nice to read your post! It is interesting to read how you are thinking about your perfumes!

My suggestion for your purchases:

Another bottle of Chanel No 19, perfume or EdP, so you open at least one of them and start wearing this wonderful perfume!

Good luck with your collection!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Dear Margareta,

Thank you! I know that aficionados collect fragrances like some collect art, but for me scent is meant to be worn, and I like to think that whatever scent I wear reflects my sartorial style. I remember that my mother was a bit of a perfumaholic and that she had a lot of perfumes on her dresser - at least five at any given time. Yet there was one scent that really smelled like her and I think she wore it for many years. I used to think that it was No. 5 or L'air du Temps but I recently discovered that it was Madame Rochas. It makes sense that it was Madame Rochas. Madame is/was a voluptuous, aldehydic rose scent with great sillage (I'm talking about the vintage parfum) and my mother always wore a lot of embellishment and colour. I'm planning on buying her a bottle every Christmas from now on. It is a scent that reminds me of my childhood.

I have never thought of buying back-up bottles but it does make sense to have more than one No. 19 around just in case I run out of it.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 24th February 2007 at 12:45 PM.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

Post Thanks / Like

Reading through your CV I think you may well like Sienne L'Hiver by
    Eau d'Italie! Ask them for a sample or two and see what you think!

You sound like a very nice person. Have you considered anything by Creed or Ayala? They use a lot of natural ingredients and it is a whole new way of looking or should I say smelling?

Post Thanks / Like

Paw through all those samples - be reckless - apply with abandon. Then respond to the one that "speaks to the heart" and then invest! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    You sound like a very nice person. Have you considered anything by Creed or Ayala? They use a lot of natural ingredients and it is a whole new way of looking or should I say smelling?
    Thank you TDDanae. I have smelled some Creed but they are extremely hard to come by where I live. Creed (and some other niche brands) used to sell at DNA boutique in the old Post Office but that store is closed now! I should have bought some E. Courday before it closed. I wanted to get Vanille et Coco, Fressia et Musc and a fragrance called "Sun" but I kept thinking that I wasn't sure if I'd wear those too often so they weren't full bottle worthy.

Anyway... Creed... I have been thinking about Angelique Encens but I can't find that anymore. I remember smelling it once a long time ago... it was nice... woody and ambery... now it's nowhere to be found.

Ayala is a basenoter so I suppose I can visit her store if she has one online and ships internationally. What do you recommend from Ayala? I have been enjoying her reviews and posts.

Kewart, Eau D'Italie sounds interesting - do you really think they will give me a sample? I was looking at the website and can't find that feature. One of the things I've noticed about fragrances is that often the modern ones really impress me at first but I fall out of love with them too quickly. I'd really rather wear something that I know will be around for another 100 years even if I won't.

Thank you everyone, these are excellent suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Indeed, paw through those samples. Wear them, big amounts at a time. Read the reviews, write your own reviews. By the time you are done, you will know what you like.

2. Use that No. 19. Here is the phone number for Chanel U.S.A. (800) 550-0005. They will hook you up to a boutique that will sell by mail, pronto.

3. Go straight for the pure parfum concentration of Mitsouko.

4. Angelique Encens is readily available from Aedes in New York. They have samples. 888-AEDES15

5. Poussierie de Rose is one of my favorite fruity roses, like plum wine and roses.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like Chanel No. 5 and 19, you might also like 22.

Angelique Encens is worth trying, as is Shiseido Feminite du Bois. If you feel Shalimar is too loud, though, they are 'louder' than Passage d'Enfer I think.

Have you tried the parfum form of Shalimar? I find it to be quieter than EdT / EdC. Also you could try Vol de Nuit, or Jicky (lavender in this one). L'Heure Bleue might be too melancholy, but the others I would suggest you try.

Sending you a pm, I might be able to provide you with a few samples to test things out.
    Last edited by kasae; 24th February 2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: darn typos

Post Thanks / Like

I second Kasae's suggetsion of Feminite du bois.It sounds like it might fit you very well

Thank you for the suggestions.

I've heard about Feminite du Bois - actually I've been hearing about it for some time now - but I have yet to actually smell it.

For some reason I had the impression that it would smell like red wine and so I never bothered to procure a sample since CD Poison is the ultimate grapey-wine scent. IMHO.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 24th February 2007 at 05:31 PM.