Code of Conduct

Default chandler burr's latest perfume article on guerlain

"Mitsouko is a thing of subtle silk opulence: strength and balance and twilight. I imagine that in the Chinese opium dens, just as the opium eaters begin to lose consciousness, they perceive a similarly magical smell drifting from their pipes. If Mitsouko is not five stars, no perfume is."

in ny times "t" magazine fashion section: i'd post the link, but basenotes just won't let me.

Default Re: chandler burr's latest perfume article on guerlain

Welcome frelkins! !! :bounce:

I think BN will let me - try this:http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/25/st...cent.text.html
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Beautifully written, as always. He is so much better at expressing my complete dislike of Insolence, and my love of Mitsouko (and L'Heure Bleue in passing during his discussion of L'Instant). In fact, he's made me want to sniff L'Instant, one I've always passed on up until now, because I only want to smell the "good" Guerlains.

That said, it's a sad story he's outlining, isn't it? **heavy sigh**

Thanks for posting the link!

"Its chairman, Bernard Arnault, understands that of all the LVMH brands, only Guerlain can combat Chanel" ..... right..

Looks like Chanel is making somewhat of a comeback (fingers crossed) while its big rival is dying a slow painful death..
    -

Chandler has been sniffing too long.

Sorry but L'Instant is nothing like L'Heure Bleu not even a hint of it. Honey,amber and vanilla. Insolence does have hints of L'Heure in the middle many have commented on this. A few years ago when L'Instant came out there was a surge of honey,amber and vanilla fragrances being launched.
    It fit in with that trend and was interchangable with a few others. Insolence was aimed at the young trendy but they find it too old fashioned the violets you know!
    DONNA

What I have heard from the Guerlian-stores I visit, the best selling Guerlain frag right now is Insolence.
    Last edited by Margareta; 25th February 2007 at 08:54 AM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I tried it yesterday (not on me, but on a testing strip). It smelled like parma violet sweets. I hate violet, so it's definitely not for me.

Insolence smells horrible, but apart from that, using Hilary Swank to market it was a bad, baaaad move. She is the antithesis of what Guerlain means to me, and as wrong as it is, the marketing of a fragrance does affect its reception. Sad.

I disagree with him.
    See the male forum to read my answer on it, if you'd like to.

I wish I could go back in time and buy all the old Guerlains as they were when they were new. More than any other house, that is how I feel about Guerlain.

He sings the praises of Mitsouko, and mentions its oakmoss - but it's not being made with oakmoss anymore. I suppose it was kind of him to not mention that.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    I wish I could go back in time and buy all the old Guerlains as they were when they were new. More than any other house, that is how I feel about Guerlain.
    Me too! Three, four and five. (And I hope you're not snow-bound there on the open plains....)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Yes, I enjoyed this article today , too. You all know of my troubled past with Mitsouko...I have just dabbed the tops of my wrists with my vintage bottle stopper of this classic. Let's see where it takes me tonight.
    I do love the bottle. It is engraved on the bottle with the words Guerlain and Made in France, and has that pretty Gendarme hat stopper and the lovely art deco sticker on its face. The liquid is cognac colored, with streaks in it which I originally thought meant it turned bad, but upon reading an article about vintage perfumes, seems to be a sign that it is , well, perfume.
    So far, the two light dabs on each wrist are wearing nicely. Perhaps the key is subtle application for me. Have I said this before?
    Hell, maybe I WILL jump into the Guerlain week. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, say I!

a bit later and I am feeling rather sexy and smokey with this Miss Mitsouko on my wrists. She has become a dark smolder on my wrists. I have not yet determined if it is the Mitsouko or the vodka with cranberry juice in my hand - I suspect it may be a combo of both! hee hee hee
    Last edited by rtamara41; 25th February 2007 at 11:03 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, say I!
    ROFL! That's a classic!
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11
    He sings the praises of Mitsouko, and mentions its oakmoss - but it's not being made with oakmoss anymore. I suppose it was kind of him to not mention that.
    If only that was the reason why not........

I am with Donna on this.
    L'instant is not reminiscent of Guerlain style, while Insolence is. For better or worse, like it or not (I respect the fact that some do not like the smell of it, however)
    And yes, I do detect an element of L'heure Bleue in Insolence; certainly not in L'instant (I don't know how he came up with this!)