Code of Conduct

Thread: the bottles

Default the bottles

i have a bad habit of letting some things hang around, and i realized today that scattered -- decoratively -- about the house i have about 50 empty bottles: many guerlains, lutens, chanels, fresh, rosine, nicolai, artisan, acqua de parma etc. etc. for some i still the boxes as well.

how does one determine which ones to keep and which ones to sell to the mad collectors on ebay? how do you know what a fair price for them might be? do the common ones like the artisans have any value at all?

Default Re: the bottles

Do people really buy empty bottles? I would not know a thing about how to price an empty bottle. I would keep them as decoration anyway because they always smell good and look great with the different designs and colors.

I hate to throw the bottles away! I just cleaned my room and found a lot of empty bottles and threw them out. Now I wish I didn't! Someone told me I should take the caps off and put the bottles in my underwear drawer. I tried it and have not noticed a difference in the way my clothes smell. When my grandmother passed away, my mom was going to throw away her old chanel cologne. There was a little juice left in it, and the bottle was really antique-y looking. So I begged my mom to let me keep it, as sort of a symbol of my grandma. Maybe you know some little girls who would like to have a pretty perfume bottle to play dress up with...i think you should keep your bottles and boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by frelkins!
    i have a bad habit of letting some things hang around, and i realized today that scattered -- decoratively -- about the house i have about 50 empty bottles: many guerlains, lutens, chanels, fresh, rosine, nicolai, artisan, acqua de parma etc. etc. for some i still the boxes as well.

how does one determine which ones to keep and which ones to sell to the mad collectors on ebay? how do you know what a fair price for them might be? do the common ones like the artisans have any value at all?
    Most of those: without value. Guerlains, certainly older ones without atomizer: could be. Watch that vintage Shalimar extrait bottle if you have one!
    Serge Mansau designs can be of value for a collector.
    Normally a empty spray bottle, even niche, is hardly interesting for a collector. But beautiful shaped bottles with a stopper: that is something different.
    And Lutens: empty bell shaped bottles have some value, the others only when they were part of, let's say, the "Fauves Royaux" collection and you still have the box. For an example, look at this site: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...3/1857369.html

I would also recommend a search on eBay to see if you can find your bottles listed. Sometimes all you need is that one collector who wants a 'complete collection'. Just ask yourself: do you think it is worth the effort and the money going on eBay for them.

Good luck!
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

i wouldn't buy 'em...
    if you want just send them to me!
    hahaha
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Basenoters are sometimes looking for caps and/or boxes, so at the very least you could offer those up for swap/sale/gift.