Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cream colored suit

Hey, I was looking at a Perry Ellis cream colored suit at Dillard's (Where I work). I really want it, but I'm wondering if I can wear it as anything other than a suit. The pants and jacked (It's actually a blazer) come seperate, though they are both the exact same cloth. The jacket has cream colored stripes (about 2.5 inches wide, alternating light and even lighter cream), with coconutesque buttons. I saw the same suit last year in GQ by Gucci or D&G, and it's really hot. Seriously, it's an amazing look. I'm going to get the jacket and pants tailored by my tailor Maria, so it'll fit perfect (It's also my size, a 40), but I'm wondering what I could wear the blazer with. I really want to dress it down (Not just take off the tie and unbutton the top button), but I'm looking for tips on how to do so. I wish I had a picture, but I couldn't find it online on Perry Ellis' site, but here's their closest thing:
    http://www.perryellis.com/ped/images...7010_270_A.jpg

This one doesn't have the stripes (that I can see), but color wise, it's the closest thing.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cream colored suit

Hm... I've seen a lot of people look very self-conscious when wearing a light coloured suit, since it's a bit out of the ordinary: The suit is really wearing THEM.

However, judging by your picture in the member images thread, you have exactly the sort of look that designers use as their benchmark--unique and lean--and you live in a warm climate. I'd say go for it, it'd look brilliant

The jacket could be worn alone very casually, e.g. with very simple (not obviously distressed or otherwise mutated) jeans, a black t-shirt, and quiet, but interesting shoes. I've seen this done by the Italians and French during the summer, and when it works, it REALLY works (with more than one piece of jewellery/peculiar or inappropriate shoes/overstated pants or shirt it is rather a nasty effect, however; keep it really simple and casual, and DO wear a shirt ).
    Last edited by mysteriousmongoose; 27th February 2007 at 09:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice choice, Rich. A Cream colored jacket can really be a great spring/summer accessory. I've got one from YSL Rive Gauche, during Tom Ford's tenure, that is one of my favorites for summer evening get togethers.

When I want to dress it up, I wear it with a pair of dark trousers (black or dark blue work well. You can also wear it with black jeans. For dressing it down, try wearing it with light colored blue jeans, especially worn or slightly faded ones. You'll see that Dolce&Gabbana do this a lot; a tailored jacket with distressed/faded jeans and it looks great.

Anyway, just try some varieties and see what you think looks best. You definitely don't need a tie with it, and for shirts, I'd go with something light blue or, if you really want to go all out, even a light pink. In general, though, keep it simple. Subtle stripes on a shirt is okay, but I wouldn't wear anything too loud with it. The light color of the jacket means that it is going to accentuate any color you have on the shirt; so if you wear a hawaiin print, it will look even louder than in general.

Wearing it as a full suit can be a tougher look for a young guy to pull off. It looks GREAT on an older gentleman, but for anybody less than 40 it can be difficult. If it were me, I would wear them separately, unless I had a really specific, dressy mid-day garden party or something (and how many of those does anybody ever have???) I'd wear the pants in spring/summer with a pastel or light-colored shirt, and then wear the jacket as described above. I think you could use them in this way MUCH more often that you'd ever be able to use them together.

Finally, Rich, what is your height and weight (if you don't mind my asking)? Judging from the pic you posted a while back, I would have thought you smaller than a 40... One of the biggest pitfalls of American men and suits is that 90% of them wear a suit a full size too large... You definitely want the jacket to be fitted, not loose, and be sure that the sleeves aren't too long (this one happens to about 99% of American guys). For example, the guy in the pic from the Perry Ellis page you posted definitely needs to have his jacket altered; his sleeves are too long, the button stance is a little high on the jacket, and he could use some waist suppression (this is where the jacket goes "in" at the waist for a more fitted look). For 90% of situations, nobody would ever know the difference, but get around some serious "suit" people (or serious fashionistas) and everything is in the tiny details.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 26th February 2007 at 05:29 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I have a cream linen/silk suit, not striped. The light color seems to draw people's attention, so it really does have to fit well. There's no margin for error with these light colored ones - they seem to magnify the necessity for getting all the details right. If you do, it truly looks great though.

That was good advice about most guys buying much too large.

Don't forget shoes - they need to be light enough also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwntwnjay
    Don't forget shoes - they need to be light enough also.
    This is very true. If you are "Dressing down" with light/faded jeans as I mentioned, definitely go brown with shoes. Wear black shoes only with more formal trousers (and only black ones at that). If you wear fairly dressy black jeans, you could also definitely do black shoes. But, anything other than black pants should have brown shoes. Brown loafers would also be very good.

Post Thanks / Like

All very good advice, but I've decided to go with a black striped blazer from the same company.

I'm 6'1", 150lbs. I wear a 40 or a 38, but either requires extensive alterations by my tailor Maria. I hate nothing more than a suit that looks like it's eating its owner from the shoulders down. Since I'm in men's suits at Dillard's, I have the opportunity to correct most guy's mistake of wearing the suit like their father would.

I wear my sleeves right at my wrist, my top button pulls just a little bit, and I have a half break on my pants. No cuffs. Ever.

I love it when I mark up a suit on a guy, and he's all questions:

"Are you sure it should fit like this?" - Him
    "Is it comfortable?" - Me
    "Well yeah, but doesn't it look a little tight?" - Him
    "No. Just wait and see, when it comes back, if you don't like it, I'll pay for the tailoring." - Me

One week later...
    "Oh my gosh, this is the best looking suit I've ever worn!" - Him
    "How do you feel in it?" - Me
    "Natural! I didn't think that you were ever supposed to be really comfortable in a suit!" - Him
    "Told you so." - Me

You get the idea. I'm a part of a few fashion forums, and inevitably, someone will ask "Should a jacket pull at the top button?"

Everyone will get really passionate and tell him it's just a passing phase, that somethings never go out of style, and that he's stupid for asking such a question. Near the end, someone will pull up a picture of Tom Ford in a pinstripe suit lookin' like a million bucks, and that usually shuts everyone up.

Trust me, I know how it's done.

I'm going with the black blazer 'cause it'll be a little more versatile, and because it's $140 cheaper. It's the same jacket, same fabric, different color, smaller size, same collection, same designer. I love finding deals at Dillard's.
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 27th February 2007 at 05:54 AM.
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Rich,

Have you ever tried yoox? (www.yoox.com)

It's a great place to find good deals on designer stuff. I have no idea how much your PE blazer is, but often you can find excellent stuff 70-90% off from brands like Gucci, D&G, Jil Sander, etc. I've found Costume National and such there for less than $200 (when the retail is about $1300). Unfortunately, Gucci, YSL and such still run pretty high...

As for your suit size, I'm 6' and 155 and a solid 38. Only in certain small-sized european brands like Dior Homme or Costume National am I a 40. ANyway, sizing is the big problem on yoox, because Euro brands make up their own sizes, but if you see something there you like, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my impression on how the sizing runs for that brand...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I will definitely contact you with Euro sizing questions!
    - Rich

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_
    Trust me, I know how it's done.

I'm going with the black blazer 'cause it'll be a little more versatile, and because it's $140 cheaper. It's the same jacket, same fabric, different color, smaller size, same collection, same designer. I love finding deals at Dillard's.
    - Rich
    It does sound like you know.

Good choice on the jacket - there will be many more opportunities to wear the black one than the cream one. That should dress 'up' more easily than cream too.

If you get a chance, try some Theory pants sometime - it seems like me and every other thin, athletic-build guy I know loves the way this brand fits. Very trim, sleek simple lines, not too badly expensive either. They have 'em on bluefly.com sometimes -- that's another source of possible bargains.

Sounds amazing. My only advice would be to pair it with denim or neutrals - if you wear it with any colours, it could look very Miami Vice.

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of problems with cream. Firstly, dirt. The suit will spend more time in the dry cleaners than it will on you.
    Second, accessorise very carefully or you will look like the Man from Del Monte.

Post Thanks / Like

You can find a plethora of information about this type of thing @

www.askandyaboutclothes.com

It is the suit connoiseur's equivalent to basenotes.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah