Code of Conduct

Default How long can you keep perfumes?

OK so this has probably been asked a zillion times, but I'm wondering how long you should keep a fragrance before ditching it.
    I'm assuming the stronger the concentration, the better it keeps once opened. My 90s Mitsouko parfum is doing just fine, but my Nina Ricci Liberty Fizz EDT now smell nothing like it used to (just overwhelming alcohol and then a hint of something vaguely floral, rather than the delicious raspberry/tomato scent it had when I first got it!).

Default Re: How long can you keep perfumes?

I plan on keeping most of my collection until I use all of the juice out of the bottle. Sometimes you will notice a change in the scent but if you like the scent still then there is no reason to get rid of it. Good is still good even if it is different. There is no limit or time you should be holding on to your fragrances for. It is entirely up to you. Some people have had their bottles for decades and still like them just fine. You choose.

I agree with the above...I had a flacon of Coco, Eau de Parfum for about 8-10 years! It was a stopper top. The juice actually turned a little cloudy and developed some sediment, but it still smelled fine. The scent didn't turn on me-pretty amazing.

Thank you for saying that EnvYuS. I need to hear it often because I do begin to worry now and then.

I've got a bottle of Angel I've had about 10 years and the colour has changed (it's a lot greyer than it used to be) but smells the same. My Liberty Fizz no longer smells good, though. Shame because I really like the bottle...hmm. May just replace it when I get the chance.

just started to store my frags in a wine chiller at 12 degrees constant...

Check back this thread in 20 years and ill let u know my discoveries...
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

There are a lot of things which impact the longevity of a fragrance. How volatile the ingredients in the fragrance would likely be the number 1 consideration. I've got a cologne from the early 80's, about 25 years old, that still smells great but I also hear of bottles going bad after a couple of years. It is mainly the fragrances made with natural ingredients that will go bad the fastest. Next most important is how you store your fragrances. Light and heat are you enemy. For me a wine chiller is massive overkill but if your collection contains a lot of expensive fragrances made with a high proportion of natural and/or volatile ingredients and you live in a hot part of the country it may be worth it. Another thing, don't shake up your bottles. That will mix oxygen into the juice.

The bottom line is there is no one answer to your question, of how long a bottle will last. Some will be going strong decades later where as others will go off in a few years.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

I think if you get to a certain point of when your cologne /or perfume (unless you use it a lot, then you WILL finish it) gets to like 10% left near the bottom you get the "itch" to get "a new".

I feel that way about colognes so maybe it's the same for perfumes?

I find now by doing your homework and asking questions it's like buying fine wine....(seriously speaking)..think? Its an investment..and if you dont like it it may be hard to pass it to someone else. They want to know why your giving it to them? lol They did that crap to me with Tommy for men..lol.

I am going with small bottles from now on.. I recommend that for ya...who wants to own a bottle for 2 years or something, I have in the past and it sucks...lol

I have been a "Consumer" instead of a student, some of us have and they've gotten over on us as we pass them at the fragrance counters..we go for the first 5 we try instead of checkin out sites like this.

Sorry to digress like david lee Roth on Uppers here but a good perfume even gets old I think. Your boyfriends favorite may be another one a year later.

I tried Vera Wang's The Princess and its the sh$! Awesome....that and Bahama-Tommy.

I wouldn't go more than a full year, but thats me....and dont overuse your man's favorite perfume,..that can get boring over time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squire View Post
    I think if you get to a certain point of when your cologne /or perfume (unless you use it a lot, then you WILL finish it) gets to like 10% left near the bottom you get the "itch" to get "a new".

I feel that way about colognes so maybe it's the same for perfumes?

I find now by doing your homework and asking questions it's like buying fine wine....(seriously speaking)..think? Its an investment..and if you dont like it it may be hard to pass it to someone else. They want to know why your giving it to them? lol They did that crap to me with Tommy for men..lol.

I am going with small bottles from now on.. I recommend that for ya...who wants to own a bottle for 2 years or something, I have in the past and it sucks...lol

I have been a "Consumer" instead of a student, some of us have and they've gotten over on us as we pass them at the fragrance counters..we go for the first 5 we try instead of checkin out sites like this.

Sorry to digress like david lee Roth on Uppers here but a good perfume even gets old I think. Your boyfriends favorite may be another one a year later.

I tried Vera Wang's The Princess and its the sh$! Awesome....that and Bahama-Tommy.

I wouldn't go more than a full year, but thats me....and dont overuse your man's favorite perfume,..that can get boring over time.

I completely agree that having smaller sized bottles makes sense. What I do is for the fragrances I use often I get a bottle and for the fragrances I use to occasionally change things up I get decants. On a per ml basis decants are more costly but if you consider fragrances on per ml used they can make a lot of sense.

A good rule of thumb is that for each ml there is 10 squirts, so a 10ml decant will give you 100 squirts and if you use say 5 squirts on any given application that means you have about 20 uses in a 10ml decant which for many fragrances in my collection would be a year or two.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde