Code of Conduct

Thread: R.I.P. Le Male

Default R.I.P. Le Male

After nearly a year of researching and testing, Iím pretty happy with my fragrance collection at the moment. In addition, since starting my new job, Iíve been able to have the luxury of wearing these brilliant creations to work everyday. However, within the last few days, something occurred to me Ė Le Male is the only fragrance I havenít worn out (obviously disregarding my summer scents).

Le Male was the very first fragrance that I truly loved and had been wearing it for nearly ten years. As a matter of fact, it was the ONLY fragrance I wore during the majority of that period. It was only when I acquired my third large bottle of the stuff that I started thinking about getting a secondary scent. Then I discovered BasenotesÖ

For the past year, I had not really worn Le Male (I hadn't even used my recently purchased bottle) Ė I felt the need to take a break from it, while exploring other fragrances. But now, itís reached a point where every time I muse over which fragrance to wear for the day, my bottle of Le Male is constantly ignored. It reached a point where I felt compelled to start wondering why I had always overlooked it, but could never bring myself to draw a firm conclusion.

Anyway, today I decided to spray some of Le Male on my arm (for the sake of nostalgia), and it was then I finally realised why I never reach for it. Maybe this is an age thing, maybe my tastes have changed (and they have in other areas, such as the clothes I wear) or/and maybe my nose has become more sophisticated but I suddenly realised how embarrassed Iíd feel wearing Le Male. Embarrassed? I really have no explanation for this sudden feeling of negativity. However, apart from clubbing (something that I donít do much, these days), I just canít see myself feeling comfortable about wearing this in public anymore.

I want to feel proud of what Iím wearing and Le Male seems to have fallen heavily from grace Ė it seems I have moved on, without knowing it. In addition, the notes smell more synthetic now than when I last remembered. I still admire it for its longevity and sillage but am no longer under its spell.

Whether Iíll sell it off remains to be seen, but it certainly conjures up many happy memories for me.

R.I.P. Le Male.

Default Re: R.I.P. Le Male

You know what? I have similar feelings about Acqua di Gio.

It, too, was the first true fragrance I ever owned. Still, my tastes have changed, plus the fact that everyone here in the Fort wears it made it "fall from grace". I'm still looking for that AdG replacement for my collection, though...

(P.S.: I still love Le Male and reach for it often. Maybe its lower popularity than AdG around here helps...)
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    I'm still looking for that AdG replacement for my collection, though...
    Have you tried Givenchy PH Blue Label? I think its a great replacement possibility.

The same thing happened to me with Pi Fraiche. I never wore it exclusively for a long time, but it was my go-to scent for about a year. Then I just stopped liking it. It was too synthetic and too sweet (like Le Male!) and I ended up swapping it. I would kinda like to revisit it now though
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I have not worn Le Male in a Long time either.... the last time I sprayed this I just could not get into this at all.....A word to remember....This could change for us any day....so don't jump to a conclusion too fast.....Gary

Basenotes Institution

Great story Trebor - I can totally relate to 'saying goodbye' to a fragrance.

Mine was A*Men - although so many BN still luv it, I had to end it...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Maybe this is an age thing, maybe my tastes have changed (and they have in other areas, such as the clothes I wear) or/and maybe my nose has become more sophisticated but I suddenly realised how embarrassed Iíd feel wearing Le Male. Embarrassed? I really have no explanation for this sudden feeling of negativity. However, apart from clubbing (something that I donít do much, these days), I just canít see myself feeling comfortable about wearing this in public anymore.
    I bought it knowing full well that I'd only ever use it for clubbing and that it had near zero use for any other situation. I'd feel pretty odd wearing it any other place.
    Renato

Yeah, I prefer my scents to be either masculine or fresh - LeMale is neither. It's just too strong for a powdery vanilla drydown. I prefer other scents that are less strong with that drydown. I think when I was younger I wanted to make a statement so colognes like Joop and LeMale were attractive because they were strong and loud, but they are exactly what I despise these days - there is no class or subtlety to either scent.

I have liked Le Male since the day it was released, I don't wear it that often anymore though. I'm looking forward to his next mens offering.

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I have liked Le Male since the day it was released, I don't wear it that often anymore though. I'm looking forward to his next mens offering.
    Hold on there now... it shouldn't be long before Fleur du Male is available in Europe (in April, I believe). BTW, it's currently being rolled out as I speak in the US and Canada... how ironic, we were the last ones to get Gaultier≤, but we're getting Fleur du Male first.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MrCoffee
    I think when I was younger I wanted to make a statement so colognes like Joop and LeMale were attractive because they were strong and loud, but they are exactly what I despise these days - there is no class or subtlety to either scent.
    I think that's exactly the problem I have with Le Male now - synthetic, loud and lacking in class. Even Givenchy's Pi has some class.

My female hairdresser was wearing it when she last cut my hair. She had applied just the right amount, noticeable but not cloying. I hadn't worn it in a while, and it smelled rather good on her. Have to get it out soon.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

hello trebor,
    le male - so many memoirs...associated with this scent..

I do not use it anymore..do not know why..maybe it's really a scent of a past which will never come back
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Ten years is a long time, I am far away from that. What's great about Le Male anyway is that you get a lot for your money.

Trebor: Don't give away that bottle. Do you still wear Body Kouros? I always thought of that one as a more mature (and manlier, although I don't really think Le Male lacks in that department), less brash Le Male.

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja
    Ten years is a long time, I am far away from that. What's great about Le Male anyway is that you get a lot for your money.

Trebor: Don't give away that bottle. Do you still wear Body Kouros? I always thought of that one as a more mature (and manlier, although I don't really think Le Male lacks in that department), less brash Le Male.
    Well, let's say eight years - I hardly ever wore it within the last 18 months. So, why shouldn't I get rid of it? It's a 125ml bottle - I very much doubt it will be of any use to me now. As for Body Kouros, yes, I still have it and completely agree with you about the comparisons.

Actually, I initially started having doubts about keeping Le Male when I suddenly realised the similarities between the two. Body Kouros definitely has more class, IMHO (and it's a lot more versatile).

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    So, why shouldn't I get rid of it? It's a 125ml bottle - I very much doubt it will be of any use to me now.
    Because of the happy memories, and because you never know. Maybe you should just do more clubbing. I mean, you're from London, there should be plenty of opportunities... But then again, if it keeps selling like it does, it will be around anyway.

Maybe I'm biased, the only way I'll ever get rid of a scent is when it has turned, doesn't smell like it did.

To many memories to many compliments and alot of ladies still like Le Male I'm on my third bottle and i haven't used it in a long time but i will never get rid of it to me its a wonderful classic that i will always keep in my collection i just can't turn my back on it its been to good to me

I don't know what it is, but I have a tilt toward simpler, designer type scents lately. As I said in another thread, Creed has even lost favor with me.

I'm wearing Kouros today and I like it a lot. It smells good and has "presence" about it. These subtle niche scents have been frustrating the crap out of me.

I have Le Male and Individuel on the way and I'm looking forward to them. I've owned them both before, and all I know is my wife thinks I smell great in them. And when I catch whiffs of them during the day, I'm a happy camper. They're simple, they last, and WOW, I can actually smell them!

Now mind you, 2 sprays of these babies is plenty. Anymore and you have entered "cologne guy with gold chains land".

I am so tired of straining my "olfactory sensors" to try and enjoy the subtle, understated scents.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I don't know what it is, but I have a tilt toward simpler, designer type scents lately. As I said in another thread, Creed has even lost favor with me.

I'm wearing Kouros today and I like it a lot. It smells good and has "presence" about it. These subtle niche scents have been frustrating the crap out of me.

I have Le Male and Individuel on the way and I'm looking forward to them. I've owned them both before, and all I know is my wife thinks I smell great in them. And when I catch whiffs of them during the day, I'm a happy camper. They're simple, they last, and WOW, I can actually smell them!

Now mind you, 2 sprays of these babies is plenty. Anymore and you have entered "cologne guy with gold chains land".

I am so tired of straining my "olfactory sensors" to try and enjoy the subtle, understated scents.
    I've recently sold off my bottle of Le Male for a very small loss but I don't regret it in any way. In fact, both Le Male and Envy were hindering the progress of my wardrobe (in terms of keeping below a certain number of full-sized bottles). I may have good memories of using Le Male but I don't think I need a 99% full 125ml bottle hanging around, gathering dust!

ChuckW, I know what you mean about a lot of these niche scents - all those 'gentlemanly', subtle, close-to-the-skin scents drive me up the wall too! As much as I hate cologne guys, I do want to enjoy what I'm wearing during the day. I think I became a lot more aware of this after being severely disappointed by Richard James.
    Last edited by Trebor; 7th May 2007 at 05:28 PM.

Thumbs up Re: R.I.P. Le Male

beautifull story Trebor ! Very well told !
    I m sure everyone amongst us has one 'Le Male'..

Renzo ;-)

im starting to have this with alot of my bottles.. unfortunatley I cant get rid of things

Blog Entries

AdG and Le Male were my first two bottles ever. The next two I moved onto were Bulgari Aqua and Burberry Touch.

^^ Same here damnit ... but thankfully i'm having these feelings towards just a coupla scents

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Le Male was almost my first independent purchase (the first purchases were under the guidance of my girlfriend). I found Basenotes at the same time I was thinking of getting Le Male. After reading and smelling, I decided not to buy. It was a good decision.

I have a place for such things. I call it the "drawer of neglect" and I have a lot of bottles in there right now. Somehow, however, I sometimes bring things out of there for variety or because of boredom with the other options, and those sadly misunderstood fragrances get a second or third chance, and a few have made it back into the regular rotation. One of those is Forbes of Forbes which I bought with great enthusiasm, then found that something went wrong and I abandoned it to the DofN. Now since no swaps came forward, I am using it in this unusually warm winter weather, and it is appreciated once again. So, things can make a comeback!
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 4th March 2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    I have a place for such things. I call it the "drawer of neglect" and I have a lot of bottles in there right now. Somehow, however, I sometimes bring things out of there for variety or because of boredom with the other options, and those sadly misunderstood fragrances get a second or third chance, and a few have made it back into the regular rotation. One of those is Forbes of Forbes which I bought with great enthusiasm, then found that something went wrong and I abandoned it to the DofN. Now since no swaps came forward, I am using it in this unusually warm winter weather, and it is appreciated once again. So, things can make a comeback!
    How I wish I could do such a thing! I'm afraid I've long become a fragrance snob, so chances of making a complete u-turn on Le Male is as much as me becoming pregnant...