Code of Conduct

Default Touch contamination? On Bois des Iles:

When I purchased this bottle of my Bois des Iles parfum (in December) I used cotton to apply it to my skin. After awhile this seemed silly. In movies & stuff people are always dotting perfume on their skin with their fingers, aren't they? So I started doing this. Maybe I'm crazy, but it truly seems to me that the parfum smells a little different now - on my skin and in the bottle. I'm afraid it's because some skin oils or dirt got into the jus. It could be that my nose is just "used to" the fragrance, but I'm not sure. If I did something that damaged my prized parfum I'm going to cry! There's about 85% left in the bottle and I planned to enjoy it for years. Has anybody ever heard about skin contaminating perfume? That would certainly make roll-on fragrance a bad thing...

Default Re: Touch contamination? On Bois des Iles:

I don't have so much fragrance experience, but I'd be truly surprised if your (reasonably) clean finger could add enough of anything to change a fragrance.

The alcohol should be plenty to extinguish any bacteria. I can't believe the splash bottle form would have survived if a few finger dabs could change the fragrance.

I do suppose it's possible that a splash bottle could get enough air mixed and exchanged inside to cause some ingrediants to oxidize, but again, it seems like it would take longer than a year and what, two dozen wearings?

Goodness, I just re-read your post and it's only three months old! I can't speak with any authority....but I think it would be impossible.

Did they tell you to use cotton when you bought it???? That's gonna soak up a lot of perfume! I hope you stuck in your cleavage afterward....

Oh, I would advise against leaving it under the seat of your car all summer. One ounce of Chanel #5, absolutely cooked with quite a bit of sediment to show for it.
    Last edited by Shycat; 26th February 2007 at 11:26 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't know but it seems as if the alcohol content would be self sterilizing, wouldn't it? If not I'm in trouble. I'm too impatient to use a stopper. I put the bottle against my skin and rub it on directly.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat
    I don't know but it seems as if the alcohol content would be self sterilizing, wouldn't it? If not I'm in trouble. I'm too impatient to use a stopper. I put the bottle against my skin and rub it on directly.
    Me too!!:bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

There's nothing wrong with it.

Let go of the resistance. Just use it. You can also buy another bottle just to feel better. I've had the same perception with a couple of other frags and every time I buy an extra bottle it smells exactly the same. You can't go wrong having extra bottle of Bois des Iles Parfum.

I used to be totally paranoid about things like that.
    James from Les Senteurs told me not to be silly, unless you skinned yourself and put it in the bottle little effect. I use the stopper to dab mine.

The thing is; its your skin and your bottle so a little of yourself is added to the parfum and therefore makes it more your personal fragrance.

I would say air getting in would be more of a problem.
    DONNA

Hmm - if the scent has changed (and I can only guesstimate the cost of BdI parfum) then I think it is an issue.

I know we should loosen up and all that, but if this is an investment that is supposed to last for years then the precautions seem fair enough. The charming young man at Roja Dove in Harrods said he recommends applying parfum with silk. It absorbs far less of the juice than cotton, you can hang the silk up to scent the room or wash it with clothes to scent them. If it's a silk scarf, you could even wear it with your BdI - tres chic!
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

I, too, try not to worry but just use and enjoy my scents. For my older Mitsouko, I have a tiny Mitsouko bottle (less than dram) that I use to apply the parfum from when I dont spray, so there is no risk to the bulk of the scent (contamination (soap, moisturizer, skin, etc), spillage, etc). I still get the pleasure of dabbing from the bottle.

I'm hoping to get the 1/4 oz. set of Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie, and Gardenia, in which case I'll dab freely. A 1 oz+ bottle of extrait I'd be much less comfortable with, and I feel I may be getting waste or evaporation from my Tabac Blond in its rollon bottle, so 1 dram bottles to decant into, with orrifice reducers, work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld39
    Hmm - if the scent has changed (and I can only guesstimate the cost of BdI parfum) then I think it is an issue.

I know we should loosen up and all that, but if this is an investment that is supposed to last for years then the precautions seem fair enough. The charming young man at Roja Dove in Harrods said he recommends applying parfum with silk. It absorbs far less of the juice than cotton, you can hang the silk up to scent the room or wash it with clothes to scent them. If it's a silk scarf, you could even wear it with your BdI - tres chic!
    Interesting ideas, I have heard of wiping the stopper with silk after dabbing and before replacing, also from Roja Dove I think.

Hmmm... from those nested parentheses above and how I punctuated them I wonder if it is obvious what I do.

I would be more concerned about the air getting in, but you can't help that and unless you stuck the cotton ball in your bra, it could get a little expensive and troublesome. The silk idea sounds good, using the stopper and cleaning it with the silk, then sticking the silk in your bra, but really, with all the alcohol in it, what's to worry about would be my guess. You could always use some sterile rubber gloves, (just being funny.)