Code of Conduct

Thread: Strictly wood

Question Strictly wood

OK, I'm going to need the help of Basenotes on this one.

The cologne I'm looking to find is an atypical wood. I'm not talking a woodsy, forest cologne like Gucci Envy, I'm talking the smell of just cut wood. I want Tambotti Wood by Susanne Lang, but it's just so damn weak! I don't for one second believe that this is an EdP, it's got about two hours of longevity, and about -1 inch of sillage. I'm literally sticking it on my nose to smell it. If I could find something exactly like this except 50x stronger, I'd buy $150 worth in an instant.

CdG Red Series: Sequoia wasn't was I was looking for. It has cut wood, but wood that was cut 3 weeks ago in a woodchip factory. Not a bad smell, but not what I'm looking for.

Fig Wood by Ava Luxe I have, but it's definitely a fig, with the leaves drying out after about 2 hours, leaving a wood base, but not the cut wood I'm looking for.

Any suggestions oh wise and great Basenoters?
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Default Re: Strictly wood

Did you also try CdG Red Series, Palisander? That fragrance gives me that 'strictly wood'-idea, so maybe it's worth trying.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

At the risk of insulting you by suggesting something you've likely already tried, what do you think of Gucci PH?

Blog Entries

Arran Aromatics After The Rain
    Freshly cut cedar logs. Divine in summer heat.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by wundabread
    At the risk of insulting you by suggesting something you've likely already tried, what do you think of Gucci PH?
    Interesting, but not for me. Too synthetic in a bad way, my nose just ached after smelling this one too much.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by wundabread
    This was the one that jumped into my mind - fresh cut cedar, in a wooden wood-cutting shed, covered in woodchips

Rich - I agree with you on CdG Sequoia. Palisander also has that more rounded feel to it.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Moondeva, like the suggestion, but the official site described it as cut grass and rose petals. The EdT description said woody floral citrus. It added on two definitions... what's going on? Wouldn't mind trying it though, I'm a big fan in a big way of cut grass.
    - Rich

Tumulte by LaCroix smells exactly like a cedar closet ... but I don't know if that's 'fresh cut' enough for you.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

off topic....I had 'created' my own perfume at Suzanne Lang's store in Toronto on Queen St. West about 5 years ago....(shop closed a/b 1yr later) and my bottle had no logevity to it at all -Less than a year and it turned on me. The process was to pick your favourite notes from each of the categories: Base, Heart, and Top notes, she would than go to the back of the store, mix a few samples with different % of each component and then let you choose your favourite as "your" creation. This cost me $200CAD. Not cheap at all. I have to say that the process was more enjoyable than the end product.

Anyway, my point is, I don't think the quality of her fragrances are worth the price...I hate to say it being Canadian and all....but it is what it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_
    Moondeva, like the suggestion, but the official site described it as cut grass and rose petals. The EdT description said woody floral citrus. It added on two definitions... what's going on? Wouldn't mind trying it though, I'm a big fan in a big way of cut grass.
    - Rich
    Maybe it's just a chemistry thing but on my wood loving skin this becomes a greener, woodier Diptyque Philosykos on a base of fresh cut, green cedarwood. Sniffing it now I can see that may turn too sweet and figgy on the wrong skin but the cedar logs are definitely there. Most of the lady friends that have tried it find it too masculine and woody. Believe me the woods are king in this blend. I love it.

They list florals but I think the rose & grass has more to do with the packaging then the scent.

"Simple uncomplicated luxury. This irresistible fragrance combines the sensual notes of precious woods, citrus, florals and musk. Presented in a crisp organdy bag with rose petals and cut grass for a truly inspired gift which leaves your senses awakened."

The showergel lists more notes:

"A gentle cleansing, fragrant shower gel with essential oils of lime, lavender, mandarin, juniper and cardamom to refresh. With an unmistakably fresh and renewing scent which lasts all day long."

If that is all to borderline for you then maybe you should check out their For Men range which features vetiver and cypress with a touch of spice.

Knowing how unique their blends are (I own After the Rain, Lili, Love Christmas (dry woody spicy mandarin & petitgrain) and plan to get Laurel and For Men), I do say that it is worth your while to splurge at least on a little 25ml sample bottle to see if it works for you. I ' m sure someone will gladly take it off your hands.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I'd suggest Bois du Portugal (Creed).

Cerruti PH? Woodier and less "synthetic" than Gucci PH?

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    I'd suggest Bois du Portugal (Creed).
    This falls under the category of Woodsy, not strictly wood.
    - Rich

Basenotes Plus

Serge Lutens Chene fits the bill.

What about Heeley Cedre or Parfumerie Generale Cedre Sadranaque (sp?) I would definitely go in the direction of cedar. also DSH Wood is pretty intense.

Le Labo Patchouli 24 has a lot more smokey, woody birch tar in it than much Patchouli. You may want to give it a try.

What about Creed Epicea? It smells like a pine forest that has yet to be cut down.
    I've got Cypres Musc coming in the mail soon; I'll give you a report on that one as well (it's supposedly rather woodsy too).

Also, Atkinson's I Colonia Legno Guajaco (Guajaco wood) is another that is quite woodsy and aromatic.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120802.html

Finally, I'll give you two to avoid trying blind, even though their names might sound intriguing: SL Cedre (I like it a lot, but it seems to have much more floral tuberose than cedar, at least until the final drydown), SL Santal Blanc (there's sandalwood in here? All I get is oily cumin.)
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 27th February 2007 at 08:06 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I'm rather new at this and my nose is not as refined nor as experienced as most Basenoters. I've recently tried Lalique's Encre Noir and really love it -- to me, it's predominantly wood.

Osmoz describes it as follows:

The crux of the plot combines two vetivers: warm, mellow, leathery Bourbon vetiver and mysterious, smoky Haitian vetiver. Rustic, aromatic cypress opens the tale, while musks and Cashmere wood bring their enveloping warmth to the close. A seductively woody scent created by Nathalie Lorson, Firmenich.

Top note : Cypress, Vetiver Fraction
    Middle note : Bourbon Vetiver, Haitian Vetiver
    Base note : Musk, Cashmeran

Good luck!

Look no further than Oramnde Jayne Isfarkand!

It has just enough other notes to make it complex, but when it comes right down to it, it's fresh cut cedar and more fresh cut cedar!

Top: Lime, mandarin and bergamot
    Heart: Pink Pepper
    Base: Cedar, vetiver and moss

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Check out the reviews for Etro Mahogany. Überwood
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    Check out the reviews for Etro Mahogany. Überwood
    That's a good one; I can't believe I forgot about it! Definitely not my favorite, but it is certainly woodsy.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Cashmere for men - new at lucky scent is damn woody. Similar to Gucci Pour Homme/Montale - Greyland.

The opening of LesNez LMPTL smells like freshly cut cedar. Diptyque Tam Dao might be worth a try too. Longevity is decent on both for me. I also agree with CdG Palisander, which is a smoother wood, with a slight sweetness to it.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Chêne
    Macassar
    Mazzolari Lui

i was going to second chene, but looks like i have to 3rd it. I happen to have it on today. wood it is.

i only have a decant, but PM me your address and i can send you at least enough for a few wearings. i did one spray today (back of one hand, rubbed on the other, then rubbed on neck) and it definitely had the sillage and relative strength of...oh, say 3-4 squirts of cerruti PH (original version), idole, or tam dao. (at any rate, thats about how much of those scents that i wear for this level of smellability ).
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

CB Wood Series of accords from CB I Hate Perfume. Distilled from the trees for which they are named but also contain bark, wood resin, sawdust, and paper.

I saw suggestions of Tam Dao and Isfarkand. These were the first scents that sprung to mind when I read this. Isfarkand smells like fresh wood with a background that reminds me to TdH somehow. And Tam Dao just smells like heavenly wood.

Also, I really enjoy Gucci Rush, but its lasting power leaves me wanting most of the time.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thumbs up Re: Strictly wood

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens. It's a lumber yard smothered in beeswax. One of the most distinct frags I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. Test it first! Most people find it repulsive. I think it's amazing.
    Cheers,
    Ruggles

Another for Chêne. A freshly split oak log oozing with sap, and tempered with honey and a floral/green note.
    Last edited by Chêne; 28th February 2007 at 08:05 AM.

Of course the first two bottles I think of when it comes to woods are as plentiful as old growth forest, Gucci Rush and the even more elusive Bogner Deep Forest. Both can be had if one is patient and willing to spend accordingly. After these two there is a lower tier, things like Cartier's Declaration concentre, the aforementioned Gucci PH and uhmm, mmmmm, well, okay, that's about it.