Code of Conduct
    nearfantastica

Default re: Fragrance Reviews (Feb 26)

It's been awhile since I've tried my hand at reviewing fragrances.. so here goes a couple of reviews of Citrus fragrances I took a gamble on, for the upcoming spring/summer seasons.

Fendi Life Essence:

A completely unique take on citrus. In one breath, the Fendi pounces forth with the springtime vibrance of caged 6 year old. It's bright, it's sharp and it tugs on you in a "begging to play" kind of way. In another breath, Life Essence has a fermented melancholy to it that is reminiscent of fruit on a sunbathed window sill, creeping past their final moments of appeal - not entirely removed from a Nicole Miller for men kind of lull. The pretty with the ugly, the happy with the sad leads me to one of the most "intense" emotional reactions I have ever had to a fragrance. Additionally, I don't think I've ever smelled anything quite like Fendi's Life Essence. It's masculine enough and maintains enough of an edge to exude a confident swagger, but there's a vulnerability to this fragrance that echoes a yearning. In terms of fragrance development, the citric start tends to blend into a slight woodsy/floral mix as it edges closer to the drydown. It has a fruity sweetness, but does not lean towards the saccharine side the way a CK Euphoria for men might. Overall, this is a fragrance worth trying.. The bottle is classic looking, rectangularly vertical with a wooden cap. in the least. The sillage is excellent and the longevity is surprisingly good for a citrus fragrance. I wish the brightness lasted a little longer in the development, but we can't suspend the sunshine, can we?

Grade: A-

Ferre Bergamotto Marino Eau De Cologne:

Wow. For those who are looking for a less expensive alternative to Acqua Di Parma's Colonia... this is it. Infact, on a side-by side test, I actually prefer this one "over" the highly touted Acqua Di Parma. It has the same shower-clean lemony nature as the ADP. Both, smell like a blend of citrus and clean laundry, though Ferre's offering ducks out a little on the soapiness and boasts a vetiver like green note. This fragrance is fresh, personified - L'eau Par Kenzo with a tophat and cane - If Dior's Eau Sauvage is the scruffy smartass in the back of the class then Ferre BM is the attentive, well dressed student sitting in the front row, crisp shirt, hand held high in assertion. For citrus-heads who prefer a dirty/skanky smirk to their fragrances should bypass the Ferre, but for those who crave an uplifting, uncluttered take on the lemon - give this one a try! The sillage and longevity are phenominal for this type of "light" scent. The fragrance stays quite lovely through to its drydown though the refreshing lemon mellows a little. The bottle is quite nice and reminiscent of a Malle. It is cylinder shaped with a black cap and label. This will be a summertime staple for years to come.

grade: A

JPG Fleur Du Malle:

I'll make this simple. Take Le Male... mix in some of the sleek/cold Kouros vibe, toss in a hint of Joop's cough syrup synthetics and blend to a creamy cause.. and you've got your fragrance. To be honest, I quite like it..and find it very dinstinct despite the obvious nods to other fragrances. Where this one would be worn is a mystery to me. I love the ceramic statuesque bottle. This one would be "lethal" if overapplied.... and I am not even close to joking.

Grade: B (solid)

Hope you enjoyed!

a.
    Last edited by nearfantastica; 27th February 2007 at 04:03 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Fragrance Reviews (Feb 26)

Thanks - love your Fleur le Male review...I heard no so good things from other BN's...I am gonna have to sniff this myself.

Cool - did you add these to the basenotes review directory ?
    -

nearfantastica

Uhm..nope..guess I should?

a.

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica
    Uhm..nope..guess I should?

a.
    Yes, A, you sure should. Great reviews. When I see the Ferre around I'll want to pick it up.

I'm glad you mentioned the sillage on Fendi Life Essence. That is monster sillage. I pick up lily of the valley in it, along with all those woods and the citrus. I usually don't caution anyone about overspraying, but because of the "cologne guy" aura that FLE can give, I'd urge anyone to go easy on the trigger because of the exploding sunlight quality of that scent's radiance.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica
    .................................................. ..................................................
    JPG Fleur Du Malle:

I'll make this simple. Take Le Male... mix in some of the sleek/cold Kouros vibe, toss in a hint of Joop's cough syrup synthetics and blend to a creamy cause.. and you've got your fragrance. To be honest, I quite like it..and find it very dinstinct despite the obvious nods to other fragrances. Where this one would be worn is a mystery to me. I love the ceramic statuesque bottle. This one would be "lethal" if overapplied.... and I am not even close to joking.

Grade: B (solid)

Hope you enjoyed!

a.

To be honest the mix of Le Male, Kouros and Joop! sounds very scary