Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Ever complemented someone on a BAD scent?

OK, what I mean is...have you ever smelled someone & liked a scent on them. And after you complimented them on it & found out what it was, it's either something that you HATE or something that you THOUGHT you'd hate?

Rentboy had the opposite story last week, he smelled a scent on someone else & found out that he LOVED the scent that he detected (Eau Savage) but I'm talking about smelling a scent on someone and then finding out that its a scent you HATE on yourself, or just hate altogether.

My story:

Last year I found myself at a very entertaining venue at Montreal where men..shall I say [ahem...] 'dance' for other men. This Brazilian dancer and I struck up a conversation. He smelled divine. I asked him, "what cologne are you wearing?"...he didn't understand, so I repeated it. He answered that he wasn't wearing any cologne at all, I must be smelling his deodorant, which was Axe Body Spray.

Oh. My. God.

Needless to say, I approach the smell of Axe Body Sprays a little differently now (no guys, I don't own any of them...but maybe thats another thread - Who out there wears Axe sprays..?) but I was a little embarassed and surprised at my nose.

So, what's your 'embarassing compliment' story?

Talking Re: Ever complemented someone on a BAD scent?

I will just add one more thing...I find that after a frag has been on someone long enough (well into the basenotes) that it merges with their own body chemistry, most things smell pleasant if the person is attractive to me. There are a few frags though that I cannot abide by regardless of the person.

I remember a date sometime last year with a real attractive guy that was wearing Joop! I tried my best to get past it and did, but to this day, that smell defines that date.

I complimented someone Saturday night at a party. He smelled really great to me. He told me he was wearing Eternity.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 27th February 2007 at 08:42 PM.

nearfantastica

Default Re: Ever complemented someone on a BAD scent?

My story goes something like this:

(was at a going away party for a friend of mine).

While shmoozing I walked up to a guy and we started discussing film....

Me: "Hey, I hate to be nosey.. but you smell really good. What are you wearing?"

Him: "Irish Spring, with Aloe".

a.

Acqua di Gio. :x

Nautica Longitude. Not a bad scent at all, but I was a little embarassed all the same.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Well, I complimented an employee at a bowling alley a few weeks ago on his cologne... it was warm and nice.

Turns out it was Joop! Homme, one of my least favorite scents. Skin chemistry, I guess.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I had a friend who is a cigar smoker and the cigar smoke mixed with his cologne plus the leather seat smell from his Jaguar gave a very masculine cedar, sexy mysterious scent, like a man on the prowl. I was quite shocked when he said Cool Water by Davidoff. My brother wears this too, but on him it smells metallic and synthetic. I complimented him on the scent so he thought I liked Cool Water (I don't) and gave me a bottle of Cool Water for Women for Christmas(Ughh! the scent was awful)

Joop! I walked past a color man here and I knew it was Joop! but it smelled great. I think this scent doesn't get along with my chemistry.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    ...I must be smelling his deodorant, which was Axe Body Spray.

Oh. My. God.
    Absolutely hilarious!

I complimented a coworker one time to discover he was wearing Diesel. Smelled much differrent on him than me.

hey, but have you ever considered they could have lied? The "Eternity" guy could have worn an excentric niche fragrance and was embarrased to tell...
    That's what I sometimes do when I don't want the person to know what I'm wearing.

Donald Trump - The Fragrance

LOL.
    MikeD on Chaz by Revlon: "I knew a lady who took one sniff and said "bug spray." I never told the guy what she said, but the termites disappeared, oddly enough."