Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Tom Ford Black Orchid PERFUME

Browsing thru the Neiman's website, I stumbled upon Tom Ford's Black Orchid being sold as a perfume (link below).

Quick breakdown for everyone:

1. Exclusive at Neimans (is your pinky up in the air, mine is! [smile]) & limited edition
    2. $600 for HALF AN OUNCE
    3. Bottle is shorter than the original & is by Lalique and each bottle is signed and numbered by Lalique for authenticity (hear that Ebay scammers!)
    4. The bottle arrives empty, accompanied by a 0.5 oz. glass vial filled with perfume and a gold funnel to pour the fragrance into the bottle

I am speechless, jealous and excited all at once - I don't know what to say. Except for... Tom Ford has done it again kiddies! And this from a man who is getting ready to release TWELVE new scents in a month or so.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...287cat11550742

Default Re: Tom Ford Black Orchid PERFUME

I really wish that wasn't 600 bucks. it sounds so good.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5
    I really wish that wasn't 600 bucks. it sounds so good.

I know - perhaps somebody'll decant this & Ebay it...if so, I'm getting some!

But just so we're straight (as in correct) - this is marketed as women's perfume, right?

Basenotes Institution

Yes - Estee Lauder's marketing it as a women's frag

It's a monster of a scent even in its original strength, the perfume should knock your socks off (a tester strip sprayed with Black Orchid scented the inside of my car for about a week...I kid not!)

Yes, the original stuff is 20% per the SA at Neiman Marcus. I inquired about it being a women's scent, but she said it started out that way but that the public has accepted it as uni. I definatley can see why--it is dark and brooding, with something of a Scent Intense vibe to it. I had a light spray on my hand and I kept sniffing it, alas, with the heat coming in another month or so, it's not something I would wear in Vegas until probably November.

Whats the difference between the 1.7 oz for $90 and the .5 oz limited edition for $600 if they're both EDP strength ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam
    Whats the difference between the 1.7 oz for $90 and the .5 oz limited edition for $600 if they're both EDP strength ?

Lalique. "The centerpiece of the collection is a limited-edition pure black crystal bottle created exclusively for The Tom Ford Fragrance Collection by Lalique. Each bottle is a collector's piece, signed and numbered by Lalique, and includes a certificate of authenticity." Lalique makes some excluse crystal bottles that are collector pieces.

The TJ Maxx I worked at got some Lalique crystal stuff in before the holidays. The quality was amazing, but I'm not paying $100 for a small creature or votive candle holder.

And I'm certainly not paying $600 for this.

(Then again, I'm a college student with a part-time job and barely make that in a month... maybe when I make it to the "real world," things will change)

I like Tom Fords offerings, and I still have to test Black Orchid in its original EDP concentration! Its sounds right up my alley - any similarities to c&s no. 88 ?

Heres the notes list of his new collection:

Amber Absolute (oriental) with notes of amber, African incense, labdanum, rich woods, vanilla bean.
    Noir de Noir (oriental-chypre) with notes of saffron, black rose, black truffle, vanilla, patchouli, oud wood, tree moss.
    Velvet Gardenia (floral) with notes of black gardenia, orange, jasmine, rose muguet, tuberose, dark plum,, honey, beeswax, incense, labdanum.
    Black Violet (floral) with notes of citrus, pulpy fruit accord, black violet, woody notes, oakmoss.
    Tobacco Vanille (tobacco) with notes of tobacco leaf, spice notes, tonka bean, tobacco flower, vanilal, cocoa, dry fruit, sweetwood sap.
    Oud Wood (woods) with notes of rosewood, cardamon, Chinese pepper, oud wood, sandalwood, vetiver, tonka bean, vanilla, amber.
    Purple Patchouli woods) with notes of orchid, citrus, leather, purple patchouli accord, spices, amber, patchouli, Peru balsam, vetiver.
    Bois Rouge (woods) with notes of citrus, spice, cedarwood, patchouli, jasmine muguet, sandalwood, vetiver, amber, leather, vanilla and tonka bean.
    Moss Breches (woods-chypre) with notes of fresh wood, spice notes, beeswax absolute, Moroccan clary sage, Hungarian tarragon, Corsican rosemary, labdanum, patchouli, benzoin.
    Tuscan Leather (leather-chypre) with notes of saffron, raspberry, thyme, olibanum, jasmine, leather, black suede, amberwood.
    Neroli Portofino (cologne) with notes of citrus, floral notes, amber.
    Japan Noir (cologne) with notes of spices, purple patchouli, porto noir, night blooming jasmine, leather, amber, vetiver.

I am looking forward to these scents more than the Chanel exclusifs (which already sound quite tired),
    Last edited by zztopp; 1st March 2007 at 09:59 AM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam
    The 50ml is EDP and the 15ml lim ed. is parfum. As such, the concentration of the 15ml one will be considerably stronger.

Also, yes, the bottle is the most expensive part. If it were sold by itself, my guess is that the parfum would probably be about the same price as the Chanel parfums (maybe $150-200 or so).

As for the "women's/unisex" angle, it is no more feminine than CN Scent Intense or other dark scents like that. I think it is targeted towards women...just as the CN is as well... more as a marketing strategy than real intent. It's not a scent that the average cologne-buying male would pick up at any price-level, so it is smarter for them just to target it towards women. Men who like it or are fragrance-fans will buy it anyway; most men won't buy it no matter WHAT the advertising says given the cost and the nature of the scent itself (like it or not, it's definitely not GIT, Polo, or AdG). They could put the Marlboro man on there and have him fight with Paul Newman over a bottle of Black Orchid and I doubt it would help sales much...

(also, Faizan, I too think you should definitely give this a try. It really surprised me and was an immediate addition to my want list. If you like Scent Intense, Jasmin Imperatrice, or even Ambre Canelle, then I think you'll like this one as well. Not to say that they share similar notes, but they seem to share a similar type of "mood.")
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 1st March 2007 at 02:45 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Smile Re: Tom Ford Black Orchid PERFUME

I am looking forward to these scents more than the Chanel exclusifs (which already sound quite tired),[/QUOTE]

Not to run to the defense of Chanel, but the Tom Ford's "exclusives", as described above, sound like they're based on every cliche in the perfumer's handbook.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I like Tom Fords offerings, and I still have to test Black Orchid in its original EDP concentration! Its sounds right up my alley - any similarities to c&s no. 88 ?

I am actually wearing Czech & Speake no. 88 today and although they both are rich, and have that 'monster longevity' going on, the 88's rose note gives it a slight softness...a softness that is NOWHERE in Black Orchid in my opinion.

Looking forward to sniffing all 12 too - I actually ordered already that 12 sample kit that Fragrant Fripepries is selling online (pre-order now) for about $85. If you guys/gals wanna try them all, I suggest this option (although it's an expensive option). I am personally interested in the Tobacco Vanille one - I love frags with sap notes and this one lists 'sweetwood sap'.

With twelve friggin scents, I would think that atleast 1 or 2 will stand out as above average, no?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    I
    Looking forward to sniffing all 12 too - I actually ordered already that 12 sample kit that Fragrant Fripepries is selling online (pre-order now) for about $85. If you guys/gals wanna try them all, I suggest this option (although it's an expensive option). I am personally interested in the Tobacco Vanille one - I love frags with sap notes and this one lists 'sweetwood sap'.
    1ml samples just aren't enough for me to really get a sense of them. I like to wear a scent for several days before making up my mind. So, $80+ for just a sniff won't do it for me (not to dissuade others, but in my mind, that's an awful lot for samples). I understand the value of this service and the need for Frag. Frip. to make a profit, but I'd rather just wait and try them over time for free.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho