Code of Conduct

Default The old formulations we never knew...

I'm quite fond of CK Obsession for men. But my plans to replace a half empty mini with a larger bottle were derailed when I read that it's been reformulated and is a mere shadow of its former self.

Here's the kicker: I suspect the mini I currently own is already the newer formulation.* So my reluctance to buy isn't about fearing that I'll end up with something inferior. It's more about having the idea planted in my brain that the very thing I wanted is actually inferior to some long-out-of-production alternative.

I suppose I should just get over it. After all, Guerlain Vetiver evidently used to exist in a superior formulation. Knowing that, I went ahead and bought a new bottle and I have no regrets.

*If anyone wants to speculate re: new or old Obsession, it was part of a gift set of six CK miniatures, beginning chronologically with Obsession and continuing through Contradiction (1999).
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

smeller

Default Re: The old formulations we never knew...

Well, check this:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=193291

To my astonishment, two members in this thread related they don't feel any difference between the old and new formulations of Guerlain Vetiver.

Considering that I never had access to the old formulation (I own the newer), it was almost comforting to read, but very hard to believe.

In the same thread, I stated that I own Givenchy Gentleman and Van Cleef and Arpels old and new versions, and I can perceive the differences (although I still like the newer ones, not at the same amount).

But perhaps they're right and it wasn't that different... maybe??

Hi Paul

yes, I am one of those who has previously touted the older Obsession. In this case there is a very big difference between old and new. Have a look at the colour of the current Obsession for women. It's a bright orange. That is what the older Obsession for men used to look like: the colours of the men and women's matched.

The difference in the smell is also stark and matches the colour differences. The old juice was Über powerful. One spray would last all day and would certainly get you noticed. It was on a par with Givenchy Gentleman in terms of strength. The new juice is much reduced in sillage and longevity.

I suspect the only reliable way to get the old juice would be to find a basenotes member who has some and is willing to decant it.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Thanks Eluard, that's sort of what I suspected. I might try to track down some of the old juice. Or is there any alternative scent that's in production -- either niche or more mainstream -- that's similar to the old formulation of Obsession? I have this vague idea that there might be a good substitute in the Serge Lutens line (?)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC
    Thanks Eluard, that's sort of what I suspected. I might try to track down some of the old juice. Or is there any alternative scent that's in production -- either niche or more mainstream -- that's similar to the old formulation of Obsession? I have this vague idea that there might be a good substitute in the Serge Lutens line (?)
    There was another thread a couple of months ago on Obsession and someone mentioned a substitute for the old one from Bath and Body works, or somewhere similar. Cheap and exactly like the original, the poster said. Do a search and I think you'll find it. It was probably back in October or thereabouts.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Thanks, found it!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE