Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Original Santal, I got it now!

My bottle of Original Santal have been sitting in the closet for almost a year because personally I didn't get it up until two days ago! I rarely wear it because personally I find it too cloying and sweet. But! On monday, I had a seminar at 8 o'clock in the morning, got up at 5:30,showered, felt really invigorated so I said what the heck and reached for my Original Santal. Sprayed on each wrist, arc of my elbows, back of my neck, two on my chest and one on each shin. Put on my undershirt and my dress shirt and for some reason the top notes quickly disappears, I recalled in the past that they were pretty tenacious and cloying, and the mid notes started to reveal themselves and I couldn't help but noticed how good I smelled. By the afternoon around two, the faint tops and mids combined with the base note, it just smelled good! I got it now! I don't know how, but I do get it! Been wearing it ever since. I changed my mind about the similarities to Joop, Original Santal is just classy. Man, how come most of Creed's fragrances need time to like? It is 2 o clock in the morning now, wore it at 2 o clock in the afternoon and I can't stop smelling my arms! I can still smell it! I love it!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Original Santal, I got it now!

Yeah, I have yet to 'get it' and frankly, I have stopped trying. I dont mind sticking around for a little while and seeing things through, but I don't quite have the patience to wait any longer with OS. And since there are so many other fabulous fragrances out there that I have yet to try, I'm gladly passing the baton on this one. It smelled like Joop to me from the moment I put it on, and all through-out the several re-tests that I gave it. Not worth my time anymore.

It is sad sometimes that you need to revisit Creeds. But OS is the only one that I have to keep revisiting time and time again and I'm a little fed up. Santal Imperial I didnt like the first time I smelled it. Then a few months ago I revisited it and it immediately shot up to my top 5 fragrances I can't live without.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Post Thanks / Like

Joop?

Maybe I have a bottle from a "good" batch or whatever, but I get sandalwood flanked by orange blossom and coriander, resulting in :toppie:
    -

Hated it.

I like my sandlewood to smell like that, not sw with rotten fruit predominating.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you "got it" - but I can't get over the length of time it took.

When I posted about it a few weeks ago,my sole response was that it was really good in colder weather - something that would be difficult in your neck of the woods. Was the day perhaps noticeably cooler the day you "got it"?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 1st March 2007 at 11:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're using too much.

I use about 2 sprays and the cloy-factor lasts only a few minutes.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, if one oversprays, it's going to be loud and obnoxious. A nice misting from a distance lessens the sweet top notes. I liked this one from the beginning, but it was one night that I awoke to smell it on my arm where I sprayed it before going to sleep that really did it for me. I like spraying several different colognes on my arms, waiting a while, then trying to remember which is which. Funny how something will smell different when I can't think of the name, better than I recollect, and then when I do, it's the "oh, that's it factor" and the excitement dies down. With OS, however, I awoke and couldn't place it at first, and was really amazed once I remembered I sprayed it on before going to bed several hours earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Renato, it was a rainy day and my office got significantly colder because obviously it was a sunless,gloomy day. This scent is very fickle, can't wear it when it's hot and humid but my office is full a/c. I asked my friends if they can smell my OS, as I said, I sprayed one spray on each wrist, two on the chest,one spray each on the arc of my elbow, one on the back of my neck, one spray each on my shins, my friends told me that they could barely smell anything, so I knew that I didn't over spray, maybe because I wear undershirt and long sleeve business shirt, so the scent is buried under my clothings. Twelve hours later i can still smell it, it lingers while I was typing on my computer and the dry down is just smooth,milky,and classy!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.

At first few tests I too worried that it might get loud and obnoxious, but the bottle I got, it isn't loud at all no matter how much I spray it. It stays rather discreet and crisp throughout. I would say it's more similar to Montblanc Individuel than Joop, but Individuel is the really loud one.

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming you've gotten some of your more typical hot days again by now, how did Original Santal wear on those days?

Yesterday was a particularly muggy day down here, and I tested six scents on my arms in a shop. It wasn't a fair test, the mugginess and my perspiration pretty much killed four of them, and two barely survived.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Assuming you've gotten some of your more typical hot days again by now, how did Original Santal wear on those days?

Yesterday was a particularly muggy day down here, and I tested six scents on my arms in a shop. It wasn't a fair test, the mugginess and my perspiration pretty much killed four of them, and two barely survived.
    Renato
    As a rule of thumb, I take a bottom-up approach to applying fragrances. I start off with 1-2 sprays, and if I feel that the application is light, I incrementally add a spray.

In the case of Original Santal, I made a mistake of applying 5 sprays during one episode last summer. Probably due to the heat and humidity, the coriander note became especially prominent and burned my nostrils. I also encounter the same problem with Guerlain Vetiver - in hot and humid weather, using more than 4 sprays can make its tobacco note quite prominent, making me feel like an ashtray. In moderation, both fragrances work beautifully for me, and are now part of my regular collection.

But ofcourse if a fragrance doesnt work for you, it doesnt work for you. There are lots of other fragrances out there just waiting to be discovered. Find one and make it yours
    Last edited by zztopp; 2nd March 2007 at 10:31 PM.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    As a rule of thumb, I take a bottom-up approach to applying fragrances. I start off with 1-2 sprays, and if I feel that the application is light, I incrementally add a spray.

In the case of Original Santal, I made a mistake of applying 5 sprays during one episode last summer. Probably due to the heat and humidity, the coriander note became especially prominent and burned my nostrils. I also encounter the same problem with Guerlain Vetiver - in hot and humid weather, using more than 4 sprays can make its tobacco note quite prominent, making me feel like an ashtray. In moderation, both fragrances work beautifully for me, and are now part of my regular collection.

But ofcourse if a fragrance doesnt work for you, it doesnt work for you. There are lots of other fragrances out there just waiting to be discovered. Fine one and make it yours
    Yes, I too have noticed I'm not partial to scents with tobacco notes when it's hot.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Well,it's been rainy,cloudy days. The weather could change very drastically, it could be raining hard at 2 pm and then suddenly sunny by 3:30 and then cloudy/drizzle by 6:30. But I'm in luck if it's cloudy outside and the interior temprature gets much much colder, as the A/C thermostat is always at 18 Celsius and set on maximum, it gets cooold,some people even bring their sweater, talking about global warming! On hot days, the Joop factor becomes more prominent,but in a cold room, the top quickly disappears, and I just love the mid and basenotes! Been wearing it since last Monday!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abimanyu
    Well,it's been rainy,cloudy days. The weather could change very drastically, it could be raining hard at 2 pm and then suddenly sunny by 3:30 and then cloudy/drizzle by 6:30. But I'm in luck if it's cloudy outside and the interior temprature gets much much colder, as the A/C thermostat is always at 18 Celsius and set on maximum, it gets cooold,some people even bring their sweater, talking about global warming! On hot days, the Joop factor becomes more prominent,but in a cold room, the top quickly disappears, and I just love the mid and basenotes! Been wearing it since last Monday!
    That's why they now refer to it as "Climate Change" instead of global warming - so that now we can panic when it gets cold - and our scents misbehave.

Apparently, back in the old days before thirty years ago, the world was a perfect place where the weather never varied like it does now.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

hahaham,I remebered 22 years ago though,when I bought my first aramis original,fahrenheit,ysl original pour homme,thoses were the days of quality!remember how sony was so coveted? yup, I think the weather is mighty freaky as the years go by.