Code of Conduct
    Off-Scenter

Default Can we talk civet?

Comments on another thread got me thinking about civet, and this is what I thought:

An animalic note based on secretions of the civet cat (not actually a cat at all, but a weasel- or ferret-like animal), civet engenders very strong reactions. In the perfumeur's repertoire, it strikes me as perhaps the trickiest note to handle.

When well balanced and well integrated, as in Jicky or Film Noir, it is smooth, sensuous, and highly suggestive. When out of balance, or when mixed with too many sweet notes (Amouage Gold), it generates an accord I can only describe as "cat pee, with sugar on top".

Any other thoughts on civet and its successful/unsuccessful use in fragrances?

Default Re: Can we talk civet?

I won't even pretend to be educated on any of this, but I think civet is the note that really draws me into Givenchy Gentleman, and which makes it incredibly unique (to my nose). It smells classy, yet dangerous and foreign at the same time.

Every fragrance I've tried with civet in it got me nausceous and I had to wash it off! It definitely smells like piss to me. I can't comment on how it smells in women's fragrances like Jicky since I do not wear women's fragrances.

Blog Entries

For little more insight in to civet and how it manifests in fragrances read this thread:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=civet
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Ungaro II and Rose Poivree - Different Company have nice civet notes in them.

Off-Scenter

Red face Re: Can we talk civet?

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    For little more insight in to civet and how it manifests in fragrances read this thread:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=civet

Thank you moondeva!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan
    Every fragrance I've tried with civet in it got me nausceous and I had to wash it off! It definitely smells like piss to me. I can't comment on how it smells in women's fragrances like Jicky since I do not wear women's fragrances.
    I think it's a mistake to dismiss Jicky. It is pretty similar to Ungaro II in it's heavy use of civet—and one wouldn't say that that is feminine. Jicky is a pretty masculine fragrance IMO, not to mention that it was Sean Connery's favourite EDT. And compared to something like Dior Homme Jicky is positively hairy chested.

Still, of course if you don't like civet at all, you definitely won't like Jicky.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Basenotes Institution

Honestly, I had never even HEARD the word 'civet' before I started posting on BN.

I tested some Jicky a month or so ago, at Nordstroms. I got such a strong reaction (bad) to it, that it intrigued me...what was this smell that I found offensive. The SA was giggling the entire time (she said most people hated it...she kept trying to get me to buy Vetiver) and my boyfriend instantly pushed my hand away from his nose when I offered it. This intrigued me too. One of the other SA's said it reminded him of 'Fantastik' that all purpose cleaner we have here in the US...we all laughed.

That evening, I came home & Basenote-d Jicky & sure enough...most of the reviews mentioned this strange word 'civet' I'd never heard of.

More recently, now I know that this is what I've smelled in A.maze (by People of the Labyrinths), Kingdom & Rose Poivre.

I might even buy Jicky, soon.

Ungaro II quite possibly contains the most masterful use of civet in a fragrance. Never overwhelming yet evident, the civet adds a critical character to a superb fragrance.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    Honestly, I had never even HEARD the word 'civet' before I started posting on BN.

I tested some Jicky a month or so ago, at Nordstroms. I got such a strong reaction (bad) to it, that it intrigued me...what was this smell that I found offensive. The SA was giggling the entire time (she said most people hated it...she kept trying to get me to buy Vetiver) and my boyfriend instantly pushed my hand away from his nose when I offered it. This intrigued me too. One of the other SA's said it reminded him of 'Fantastik' that all purpose cleaner we have here in the US...we all laughed.

That evening, I came home & Basenote-d Jicky & sure enough...most of the reviews mentioned this strange word 'civet' I'd never heard of.

More recently, now I know that this is what I've smelled in A.maze (by People of the Labyrinths), Kingdom & Rose Poivre.

I might even buy Jicky, soon.
    Hmmm....why would you buy Jicky if both you and your boyfriend find it offensive? Just curious : )
    Last edited by DJB; 1st March 2007 at 01:05 AM.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Ungaro II quite possibly contains the most masterful use of civet in a fragrance. Never overwhelming yet evident, the civet adds a critical character to a superb fragrance.
    Personnally I'd give that award to Givenchy Gentleman (old), but Ungaro II is a superb blend i agree.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.