Code of Conduct

Default [UPDATE] Link to 10ml EDT mini of PPH (25 USD) - Patou Pour Homme A/S Spray

I went into a local discount designer perfume shop today to see if they had Cuiron PH. They didn't have it but while I was there (I rarely get to go perfume shopping), I decided to see if they had some discontinued rare gems.

They had Versus Uomo, which I might pick up later and I asked about Patou PH. I was shocked to hear that they carried it. There has been some recent talk about it and some people say it's the best scent ever created. I was a little iffy to buy cuz I heard its along the lines of BdP, New York, etc.....All nice scents if I was a little older, but I wanted to try it anyways because of the talk.

So when the guy finally showed it to me, it was a 90ml A/S spray of Patou PH. I thought this stuff was an EDT but the guy said it just came like this. I passed and told him I might come later for it, since I didn't know a whole lot about which oil concentrations it comes in.

I came home today and did some research, the EDT comes in a splash, or at least the ones I've found on Ebay and Azsmells Sale Thread. So does this come in an EDT spray at all?

Also, I read a few pervious threads on Patuo PH, and a few people asked about how the different variations smelt, but there wasn't a lot of responses.

So...should I grab the A/S spray and how does it compare to the EDT splash.

Any help would be nice, Thanks!
    Last edited by nsamadi; 1st March 2007 at 11:48 PM.

Default Re: I found Jean Patou - Patou Pour Homme A/S Spray

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    I went into a local discount designer perfume shop today to see if they had Cuiron PH. They didn't have it but while I was there (I rarely get to go perfume shopping), I decided to see if they had some discontinued rare gems.

They had Versus Uomo, which I might pick up later and I asked about Patou PH. I was shocked to hear that they carried it. There has been some recent talk about it and some people say it's the best scent ever created. I was a little iffy to buy cuz I heard its along the lines of BdP, New York, etc.....All nice scents if I was a little older, but I wanted to try it anyways because of the talk.

So when the guy finally showed it to me, it was a 90ml A/S spray of Patou PH. I thought this stuff was an EDT but the guy said it just came like this. I passed and told him I might come later for it, since I didn't know a whole lot about which oil concentrations it comes in.

I came home today and did some research, the EDT comes in a splash, or at least the ones I've found on Ebay and Azsmells Sale Thread. So does this come in an EDT spray at all?

Also, I read a few pervious threads on Patuo PH, and a few people asked about how the different variations smelt, but there wasn't a lot of responses.

So...should I grab the A/S spray and how does it compare to the EDT splash.

Any help would be nice, Thanks!

The after shave spray is not quite the same as the highly sought after EDT. It goes for about $60 on ebay and that price is about right IMO. The EDT is worth two or three times that.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    The after shave spray is not quite the same as the highly sought after EDT. It goes for about $60 on ebay and that price is about right IMO. The EDT is worth two or three times that.
    Oh okay....damn....I thought at least the A/S spray might give me some idea to how the EDT smells, but it's okay. I'll see what I can do about trying to obtain the EDT, but thanks for the info.

PPH EDT came in a splash only.

Don't know how the AS is, but I would still buy it! If it's a little weaker, just put more on!

And yes, PPH is the finest men's scent ever created.

IMO, of couse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelwithoutaclue
    PPH EDT came in a splash only.

Don't know how the AS is, but I would still buy it! If it's a little weaker, just put more on!

And yes, PPH is the finest men's scent ever created.

IMO, of couse.
    I wouldn't say that the AS spray is weak — it's actually pretty strong. But it just doesn't have the delicacy and the subtlety of the EDT. The EDT is a thing of rare beauty. The AS spray is just a pretty good AS. (Worth having IMO, but it's not a replacement for the EDT.)
    Last edited by Eluard; 1st March 2007 at 03:04 AM.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

Best scent ever created ? LOL !

I had a sample from the a/s splash - it was good, but didnt move me enough to splurge for the outrageous $150 that many Ebayers ask for the EDT.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Best scent ever created ? LOL !

I had a sample from the a/s splash - it was good, but didnt move me enough to splurge for the outrageous $150 that many Ebayers ask for the EDT.
    Difference of opinion's what makes the perfume world go round!

There's no right or wrong here; just preferences.

One man's stinker is a another's garbage.

However. Even as a kid growing up in a small, poor town in the South in the 50s, I had heard of Patou being the best perfume in the world. Of course it was marketing hype, but I remember reading it from more than one source than the manufacturer.

Patou has always had a bent for marketing. It got a lot of press when it described Joy as the world's most expensive perfume...yet sometimes hype is true. I remember meeting a master perfumer at the Perfume House in Portland...one of the 13 certified "noses" in the world...and when I asked him what was considered the greatest women's perfume of all time, he replied, something to the effect, that "it's all there" and referred me to some type of list from master French perfumers..."Joy, of course."

When I asked about PPH, he shook his head and looked down at the floor and acted as if he just got the news that his best friend had died..."it is gone, sadly" he said.

Personally I don't find the thought of PPH being the wold's best men's perfume laughable. It's a LOT of guy's holy grail scent, and there's a REASON it's so expensive. Not because it's rare/discontined, but because it smells so damned good. It's the absolute epitomy of class, power, masculinity and refinement, though I suspect its allure would be completely lost on a generation raised on the unspeakable "Zenga" scents and its clone.

As proof, can you find another frag with FIFTEEN THUMBS up scent and not a single negative? Apparently I'm not alone.

Read the reviews here if you think my opinion is laughable. If you've only smelled the AS, you're in no position to laugh!

What would be your choice? Or is the question itself absurd?
    Last edited by Rebelwithoutaclue; 1st March 2007 at 03:31 AM.

There are just too many great scents to crown just one as "the best". As you said your self, Patou is known for crowning his scents as the "most expensive" or "the best there is!". True, I have only tried the splash, but unless the EDT is drastically superior, I dont think it will change my opinion much. Part of me also thinks that the allure of this scent is the fact that it has been discontinued (Davidoff Relax, anyone?). But if it works for you, thats great !
    -

Okay, thanks again for the new info, I'll see what I can do about the EDT. The A/S Spray was 70 bucks CDN at this place, so I guess paying a little more for the EDT should be better. But it only comes in a splash? HOLY SMOKES , I'd hate to splash on such a rare perfume, but I guess I'll have to decant into an atomizer.

"It's the absolute epitomy of class, power, masculinity and refinement."

WOW, nice...doesn't sound like me but I'll try it anyways. BTW, Nemo has 20 positive thumbs up with no negs...another discontinued fragrance that I thought was nice.

Difference of opinion's what makes the perfume world go round!

There's no right or wrong here; just preferences.

One man's stinker is a another's garbage.

However. Even as a kid growing up in a small, poor town in the South in the 50s, I had heard of Patou being the best perfume in the world. Of course it was marketing hype, but I remember reading it from more than one source than the manufacturer.

Patou has always had a bent for marketing. It got a lot of press when it described Joy as the world's most expensive perfume...yet sometimes hype is true. I remember meeting a master perfumer at the Perfume House in Portland...one of the 13 certified "noses" in the world...and when I asked him what was considered the greatest women's perfume of all time, he replied, something to the effect, that "it's all there" and referred me to some type of list from master French perfumers..."Joy, of course."

When I asked about PPH, he shook his head and looked down at the floor and acted as if he just got the news that his best friend had died..."it is gone, sadly" he said.

Personally I don't find the thought of PPH being the wold's best men's perfume laughable. It's a LOT of guy's holy grail scent, and there's a REASON it's so expensive. Not because it's rare/discontined, but because it smells so damned good. It's the absolute epitomy of class, power, masculinity and refinement, though I suspect its allure would be completely lost on a generation raised on the unspeakable "Zenga" scents and its clone.

As proof, can you find another frag with FIFTEEN THUMBS up scent and not a single negative? Apparently I'm not alone.

Read the reviews here if you think my opinion is laughable. If you've only smelled the AS, you're in no position to laugh!

I agree with you Rebel. You said `IMO' when you commented that it was the best ever, and that should put an to it. IMO also, Patou pour Homme is the best male fragrance I have ever sampled — I expect it is the best ever. It is just sublime (IMO).

(When one offers an opinion it is usually redundant to say IMO because that is obviously what it is. But it doesn't hurt to add it in if it will help forestall responses like ZZ's. In this case that didn't work. IMO.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    I agree with you Rebel. You said `IMO' when you commented that it was the best ever, and that should put an to it. IMO also, Patou pour Homme is the best male fragrance I have ever sampled — I expect it is the best ever. It is just sublime (IMO).

(When one offers an opinion it is usually redundant to say IMO because that is obviously what it is. But it doesn't hurt to add it in if it will help forestall responses like ZZ's. In this case that didn't work. IMO.)
    Who said I was quoting RebelClue?

I was referring to the original post where nsamadi said "There has been some recent talk about it and some people say it's the best scent ever created. I was a little iffy to buy cuz I heard its along the lines of BdP, New York, etc.....All nice scents if I was a little older, but I wanted to try it anyways because of the talk.".

Give me some credit, I am smarter than that
    -

IMO this A/S spray is every bit as good as the edt...on my skin it lasts ALL DAY...it is a bit lighter but I dig it.

There has been some recent talk about it and some people say it's the best scent ever created.
    While Patou is one of the finest men's fragrances I've ever smelled, there are many more that I haven't smelled. I think in order to make such a definitive remark like "It's the best men's fragrance ever created" not only would you have had to smell every creation before Patou pH, but every one since as well.

I've read poor reviews about Clive Christian fragrances (I suspect there might be a hint of sour-grapes in so some of those reviews), but I've never tried it, so how would I know if it is or isn't the "best". It's all rather subjective.

I was referring to the original post where nsamadi said "There has been some recent talk about it and some people say it's the best scent ever created. I was a little iffy to buy cuz I heard its along the lines of BdP, New York, etc.....All nice scents if I was a little older, but I wanted to try it anyways because of the talk.".

Give me some credit, I am smarter than that
    I agree that you're smarter than that.

I was referring to the original post where nsamadi said "There has been some recent talk about it and some people say it's the best scent ever created.
    LOL...I was just reading an old thread on PPH, and actually RebelClue said it was "the best scent ever created", so I guess I was quoting him.

Well i have been extremely lucky to be able to acquire a few bottles of Patou ph 60ml EDT splash recently... :-)
    I must say that the quality of the bottle, not to mention the cap has a great feel to it....it certainly reeks of elegance....the only downside is that you dont have the heart to invert this bottle to splash it...it is just too too precious to run the risk of dropping this extremely precious juice....i remember my quest for it began after my fellow basenoter 'Eluard' described it as 'nectar of the gods'...Well unfortunately i have to wait for an atomiser to be delivered to me that i purchased later on to be able to wear ' the best scent ever created' by many members here...cant wait to get the feel of it....at the moment i have just sniffed it enough times....but its like doing a lot of injustice to Patou by judging it by sniffing it....sniffing doesnt reveal nothing bout the true nature of a fragrance....would post my feelings for it sooon......

gupts

Quote Originally Posted by CuyahogaJoe
    While Patou is one of the finest men's fragrances I've ever smelled, there are many more that I haven't smelled. I think in order to make such a definitive remark like "It's the best men's fragrance ever created" not only would you have had to smell every creation before Patou pH, but every one since as well.

I've read poor reviews about Clive Christian fragrances (I suspect there might be a hint of sour-grapes in so some of those reviews), but I've never tried it, so how would I know if it is or isn't the "best". It's all rather subjective.
    As I said...IMO!!

Thanks for getting it, Eluard.

I think it's evident that when I refer to Patou as my favorite fragrance ever, it's a given that I haven't smelled every fragrace ever created...I doubt many have. So for the nitpickers, I'll clarify my opinion as being "the best fragrance I have ever smelled, IMO."

Satisfied?
    Last edited by Rebelwithoutaclue; 1st March 2007 at 05:10 AM.

Er...umm...a...I didn't quote you clueless, but I'm sorry to have struck a nerve

Hey Joe, not trying to flame ya...I just think it goes without saying that when one of the countless threads gets started entitled "Your Favorite," or "Your Top Ten," or "Your Top Five," or "What Scent Can You Not Live Without," etc., etc., etc--threads whose basic purpose are all the same--NAME YOUR FAVORITE SCENT--it's a given that people respond with the common understanding that they are naming only scents that they are familiar with, with no expectation from anyone that the posters have personally smelled every scent ever made. Obviously they are making their judgement on their own experience, no matter how limited or expansive.

Hence when I name Patou as the best ever...(IMO!!!!)...the same common sense applies.

I am very passionate about this scent and sometimes it spills over. No offense intended whatsover and hope none taken.

I'm a lover, not a fighter!
    Last edited by Rebelwithoutaclue; 1st March 2007 at 05:53 AM.

So does this come in an EDT spray at all?
    Patou PH EDT was also sold in a 90ml spray (as well as the 60ml & 120ml splash bottles which still seem to exist as old stock).
    The 90ml bottle allowed you to un-screw the vaporiser and refill from the splash bottles.

HMMMM....maybe I have the edt then...
    It doesn't say what it is anywhere on the bottle...

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    Patou PH EDT was also sold in a 90ml spray (as well as the 60ml & 120ml splash bottles which still seem to exist as old stock).
    The 90ml bottle allowed you to un-screw the vaporiser and refill from the splash bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    HMMMM....maybe I have the edt then...
    It doesn't say what it is anywhere on the bottle...
    Well the bottles that i have also dont have edt mentioned anywhere...it is just on the box that it is written edt...

gupts

I have a 120ml splash bottle of Patou PH EDT, and a 60ml splash bottle of Patou PH Prive EDT. The bottles and cap, as has been stated, are of superb quality. The caps are engineered to screw down very tightly on the bottles after exactly three turns of them, tightening sequentially as they go, in effect sealing the bottles. I was worried I was going to break something when I first put the cap back on one of the bottles.

I don't splash them on my hands, but use a cotton ball to efficiently use the scents without spilling or overapplying. I am liking ever more to apply scents with a cotton ball; you can get the scent where you want it and with how much, but approximating an atomizer better than a roll-on does.

I'm also reluctant to label Patou PH as the best men's scent ever, but it is ridiculously classy and of very high quality. It is an icon of sorts, among the last brilliant flame of the then-fading (1980) halcyon days of perfume-making.

Jeff
    Last edited by wicozani; 2nd March 2007 at 03:16 PM.

So...I just got some feedback from a friend on BN, and he has tried the scent before and we have similar taste in perfumes. He said it was a nice scent buy kinda like a grampa scent, but he said it was like the grampa of all grampa scents. He didn't say it was a bad scent just a little outdated in his opionon.

I do like scents like BdP, Floris No. 89, New York, etc.....but I'll put off wearing them till I mature a little, LOL , but thanks anyways for the help and all the info.

BTW, for people who want to test PPH without shelling out a ton of cash. You can get a 10ml mini of PPH from this site, costing you about 25 bucks US, and their international shipping is dirt cheap, something like 5 bucks for purchases under 200 dollars, and free after that.

http://www.parfumflacons.de/nusa2.htm

Good Luck :wave:
    Last edited by nsamadi; 1st March 2007 at 11:49 PM.

Default Re: [UPDATED] Link to buy 10ml for 25USD-I found Jean Patou - Patou Pour Homme A/S Sp

I've been wearing Patou a lot lately and I love it. I don't think there is such a thing as grandpa scents. I do admit this one is manly and sophisticated but hey us young guys can smell sophisticated too. This isn't for a young guy going to a club. It's too finely made for that. It's for a nice formal dinner but I've even been wearing it to work.
    --------------------------------------
    So...I just got some feedback from a friend on BN, and he has tried the scent before and we have similar taste in perfumes. He said it was a nice scent buy kinda like a grampa scent, but he said it was like the grampa of all grampa scents. He didn't say it was a bad scent just a little outdated in his opionon.

I do like scents like BdP, Floris No. 89, New York, etc.....but I'll put off wearing them till I mature a little, LOL , but thanks anyways for the help and all the info.

BTW, for people who want to test PPH without shelling out a ton of cash. You can get a 10ml mini of PPH from this site, costing you about 25 bucks US, and their international shipping is dirt cheap, something like 5 bucks for purchases under 200 dollars, and free after that.

I'll also do decants if anyone is interested
    Last edited by AZsmells; 1st March 2007 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by gupts
    ....the only downside is that you dont have the heart to invert this bottle to splash it...it is just too too precious to run the risk of dropping this extremely precious juice...
    So let me get this straight...you won't smell Patou PH because you're afraid to invert the bottle, thus increasing the risk of dropping and breaking it? It's a valid concern considering the value of the stuff. But still, I have to ask, why don't you just invert it over a bed?

If you're concerned about wasting juice, just dab a tiny bit on your wrists, rub them together and enjoy! ...over a bed of course.

If I had bottles of this stuff (I've never smelt it) and people were talking it being the nectar of the gods and the best ever created, I wouldn't be able to resist.

I say the risk is worth the reward. You should smell it and report back immediately.

...IMO EVERYBODY!!! IMO!!!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 1st March 2007 at 11:48 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Ha! By the time you're a Grandpa Patou PH is going to be selling for over a $1000 on jetsons-ebay, or whatever they have then. I reckon you've got 5 years to find this stuff at a reasonable price. After that it's Sothebys.

Dependent

Default Re: [UPDATE] Link to 10ml EDT mini of PPH (25 USD) - Patou Pour Homme A/S Spray

most bookmarkable! good stuff

I too fell for the Patou line of Bull "Most Precious liquid known to man"

Default Re: [UPDATE] Link to 10ml EDT mini of PPH (25 USD) - Patou Pour Homme A/S Spray

Sending an Patou thread While I'm on holidays....

Anyway, I have been using Patou PH for the last 18 years or so, with small interfalls due to availability after it was discontinued.

It was my daily scent, for years.

Almost everything has been said about this one, and in my opinion it is one of the finest frags ever created, it sits really well on my skin and matches my (real) wardrobe and personality however I am also influenced by sentimental reasons.

I realise it most be frustrating at times for moderate Patou fans to read over and over again that it's the best frag ever made....

I am sure there are some great frags out there that are equally complex, opulent, and of the same quality.
    Patou was particulary great when it was still available, and freshly produced.

I think part of the hype for some new users is the fact that it has been discontinued, however it's still relatively easy to buy as long as you are willing to pay for it.

Many times I've had to choose between a new frag or a Patou offer;I tend to go with the Patou....

I now have enough Patou in stock now to last me a while, so I can start purchasing some other gems that are out there, Thank god!
    Current Favourites: Touaregh -Il Profumo/ Le Vainqueur- Rue Rance/ Versus Uomo -Versace/ Sculpture -Nikos/ Acier Aluminium - Creed/ Santal Noble - MPG

If you're going to get your bottles from parfumflacons, be wary. I got 3 x 10ml from there a while back and, well, I was less than impressed by this 'great'.

There was another thread about this with a bit more detail i.e. has their stock aged a little or is it just my preferences? One poster had it right - the topnotes were like a bakery at Christmas time, and then it turns into something vaguely BdPish.

Just thought you should know about the potential Patou source

Default I found Patou Pour Homme A/S Spray

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear
    If you're going to get your bottles from parfumflacons, be wary. I got 3 x 10ml from there a while back and, well, I was less than impressed by this 'great'.

There was another thread about this with a bit more detail i.e. has their stock aged a little or is it just my preferences? One poster had it right - the topnotes were like a bakery at Christmas time, and then it turns into something vaguely BdPish.

Just thought you should know about the potential Patou source
    Thanks for the info, but I'm not buying it myself, thought maybe others would like to try it without spending too much dough. Thanks for the info on the bad bunch, it always a problem when buying rare discontinued perfumes.

Couldn't find the thread on the aged Patou but would be nice if you could post it up, maybe some would like to read.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 3rd March 2007 at 08:00 PM.

I've worn most of the great ones in their original formulations. Patou Pour Homme is not my favorite scent of all time but it is without question the deepest, richest, most well constructed men's fragrance I've ever worn.

I prefer Patou Pour Homme Privé, which is an entirely different fragrance, as well as being slightly more original. It's probably the best fougère I own.
    Last edited by pluran; 4th March 2007 at 08:42 AM.

Default Re: I found Patou Pour Homme A/S Spray

Thanks for the info, but I'm not buying it myself, thought maybe others would like to try it without spending too much dough. Thanks for the info on the bad bunch, it always a problem when buying rare discontinued perfumes.

Couldn't find the thread on the aged Patou but would be nice if you could post it up, maybe some would like to read.
    Sure thing! It's right HERE

We couldn't really come to a consensus as to whether it was personal taste or aged stock.. but it's a gentle read nonetheless

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: I found Jean Patou - Patou Pour Homme A/S Spray

Just as a reality check for me, I took a look at Dunhill Edition and it has 17 out of 17 Reviews with Thumbs Up (No Neutrals or Thumbs Down). There are others I am sure with similar 100% positives but I do agree that Patou Pour Homme is one of the best I have ever sniffed..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon