Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: piratey scent

Talking piratey scent

Due to my recent purchase of Idol de Lubin and my love for Havana, I started to think about creating a "piratey scent". While the afore mentioned frags are very good IMO and do make me think of the tropics in some ways, I am going to create my own conceptual pirate scent. Actually, I already have started this.

While I am influenced by the Idole and Havana, my scent concept, based partly on what would Blackbeard's beard have wafted up to his nose, starts off with a heavy dose of rum( a must for all/most pirates I'm told) and spices ( from the pillaged meal from the night before) and perhaps the floral perfume of many a fair maiden would be faintly detectable ( have a couple in mind for this note) and of course some citrus would be there so the dirty dog could fend off scurvy. And the smell of smoke would be present on his clothes and mixed with musk on his skin. When your vessel is wooden, wood would be close to your snoot , as would leather from the crew and you. To tie it all together, a pirate is first a man of the sea and nothing says ocean like ambergris.

So, what do you think. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed. This is in oil form now and I am tweaking it before adding alcohol. Once it is done, I will send out limited samples for feedback .

Blog Entries

Default Re: piratey scent

Quote Originally Posted by mstrocovie
    Due to my recent purchase of Idol de Lubin and my love for Havana, I started to think about creating a "piratey scent". While the afore mentioned frags are very good IMO and do make me think of the tropics in some ways, I am going to create my own conceptual pirate scent. Actually, I already have started this.

While I am influenced by the Idole and Havana, my scent concept, based partly on what would Blackbeard's beard have wafted up to his nose, starts off with a heavy dose of rum( a must for all/most pirates I'm told) and spices ( from the pillaged meal from the night before) and perhaps the floral perfume of many a fair maiden would be faintly detectable ( have a couple in mind for this note) and of course some citrus would be there so the dirty dog could fend off scurvy. And the smell of smoke would be present on his clothes and mixed with musk on his skin. When your vessel is wooden, wood would be close to your snoot , as would leather from the crew and you. To tie it all together, a pirate is first a man of the sea and nothing says ocean like ambergris.

So, what do you think. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed. This is in oil form now and I am tweaking it before adding alcohol. Once it is done, I will send out limited samples for feedback .
    My scent glands were beginning to drool just reading this post! Now I have a lemming for a scent that doesn't exist!

I think the musk needs to be raw an animalic like SL MKK, AL Kama Xtreme or Nemat Musk Supreme.

Even though I abhor aquatic blends I do think that there needs to be a touch of briny salt to the blend. Not aquatic ozonic nor watery floral but deep green brine...

The citrus should be lime rather than lemon.

A touch of vetiver and tobacco may work along with the leather & spice also.

Good Luck!

And put my name down for a sample please!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Limes did come to mind first. Must make variations/ changes to this formulation. The musk I'm using is animallic indeed, plus the ambergris is real not synthetic which means sea animals.

Most or all of these ingredients have already been mentioned in this thread, but every good Pirate scent needs:

Lime
    Patchouli
    Spiced Rum or some kind of Rum
    Ambergris
    Musk
    Salty Sea note

and, if possible, a leather note, the darker the better.

The other thing to consider is, which wood notes resemble the woods used to make a Pirate ship.
    Last edited by yepyep; 1st March 2007 at 09:16 PM.

I asked myself the same question on what kind of wood

Cool! Maybe some of the other do-it-yourself'ers can give you some ideas on which kinds of woods resemble the smell of the woods they would have used to make pirate ships. Any ideas, anybody?

This info isn't easy to find. I mean , I found old shipyard museums, progression articles on from wood to steel....sail to steam, restoration projects and NONE of them say what kind of wood was used. But I did find that the pins used were made of oak so maybe the rest was also. Oak is a hardwood and would work for shipbuilding and can be bent if steamed and resins were used for water proofing and keeping out parasites.

Blog Entries

I feel that oak is definitely a good call or maybe cedar. But I also think that it needs to quite a dark, smokey almost scorched oak due to the birch or bitumen (?) tar used to seal the boat and keep it watertight. Maybe not too dark as I am sure the scent would disperse with time and many voyages but a touch may add interest all the same...

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    I feel that oak is definitely a good call or maybe cedar. But I also think that it needs to quite a dark, smokey almost scorched oak due to the birch or bitumen (?) tar used to seal the boat and keep it watertight. Maybe not too dark as I am sure the scent would disperse with time and many voyages but a touch may add interest all the same...
    You are so on it. I used cade, it works a dual purpose it's smokiness is picked up by the wood and musks. I reformulated this morning( #2), oak wood oil doesn't seem to exist, so I came up with a nice blend using sandal co2 , buddah and a touch of oak moss- it smells like old wood planks. I also ran out and got lime eo and mixed it with gris and blk pepper- salty water.

I think that getting abit of (real) cognac into the fragrance would make wonders for a scent like this.

one question:
    Does it have to be pleasant? or are we going L'Etat libre d'Orange?

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    I think that getting abit of (real) cognac into the fragrance would make wonders for a scent like this.

one question:
    Does it have to be pleasant? or are we going L'Etat libre d'Orange?
    Or maybe a bit of real rum. As far as being pleasant, I would say "yes", but that is a subjective question. I have now 3 variations going.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrocovie
    Or maybe a bit of real rum. As far as being pleasant, I would say "yes", but that is a subjective question. I have now 3 variations going.
    I'm intrigued...
    Perhaps, an oaken note, and some real ambergris as well, for more atmosphere.

Pirate- you're speaking my language here.

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama
    I'm intrigued...
    Perhaps, an oaken note, and some real ambergris as well, for more atmosphere.

Pirate- you're speaking my language here.
    Are ye a pirate lass? The oaken be a hard note to conjure, but alas, the gris be the real treasure of the sea. LOL . How's that for a little atmosphere?
    --------------------------------------
    Woohooo...picked up an absolute today that i think is going to make this mix.......briny baby.
    Last edited by mstrocovie; 6th March 2007 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Have there been any new developments with this project? It's a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by adoblivione View Post
    Have there been any new developments with this project? It's a great idea!
    I have a couple of variations going, dumped a couple more and am close to being satisfied enough to let others try it. I think I am leaning toward something that is more pleasant smelling than what pirates actually smelled like or maybe something in between.Boozey, briny, smokey, spicey, slightly sweet leather and wood based is what I've almost got. Oh, and with the leather there is a muskieness of course. Samples will be forthcoming after I complete one, maybe two more variations. Thinking of using agarwood/oud in one of them.

Arrrgh maties, I say Creed Erolfa!

Talking Re: piratey scent

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Arrrgh maties, I say Creed Erolfa!
    Me thinks ye smell too pretty to be on me ship! lol . The dawgs and vermin upon me vessel smell of pillage and plunder, sea and smoke, not the admiral of a royal navy vessel...... arghhh!! To the plank with ye and leave ye tailored linens where ye stand!!.... on the SS DIY
    Last edited by mstrocovie; 3rd April 2007 at 05:55 AM. Reason: TYPO

IT'S DONE!.......FINALLY!

I'm satisfied enough with a mix to let it be sampled.

Here is the pyramid:

Top notes: Bay rum, Green mandarine, Neroli, Lime

Middle notes: Jasmine, Iris, Violet leaf, Fucus, Muguet

Base notes: Patchouli, Agarwood, Buddahwood, Ambergris, Castoreum, Costus

It is spicy, a bit briny and green , soft leather and a bit funky with a deep woody dry down.

Thought I would call it Doubloon. Adding alcohol today and it will be ready in a week's time. 20% is the strength.
    Last edited by mstrocovie; 11th April 2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: missing info

The description sounds great, and the basenotes seem like they are perfect for keeping this from getting too pretty to be piratey

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mstrocovie View Post
    IT'S DONE!.......FINALLY!

I'm satisfied enough with a mix to let it be sampled.

Here is the pyramid:

It is spicy, a bit briny and green , soft leather and a bit funky with a deep woody dry down.

Thought I would call it Doubloon. Adding alcohol today and it will be ready in a week's time. 20% is the strength.
    Oh my gosh! I need some of this!! That basenote accord sounds to die for... me want now!!!

PS: What is 'Fucus' by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Oh my gosh! I need some of this!! That basenote accord sounds to die for... me want now!!!

PS: What is 'Fucus' by the way?
    'Fucus' is what it sounds like when someone with a thick eastern European accent says 'Focus'.

Actually, it's a kind of brown seaweed, but I couldn't resist the joke. And I'm not sure it's even pronounced the way I was thinking...

EDIT: Forgot to comment on the notes! This sounds really interesting. I can't even begin to imagine what it'll be like in person... so it'll be an adventure!
    Last edited by adoblivione; 12th April 2007 at 02:36 AM.

Anyone else want to try a sample? They are very limited , as I only produced 30 ml of what I'm calling "Doubloon" .

Put me down for a sample! IM me with the details.

I got my sample of Doubloon in the mail today, after I'd already applied my frag du jour. I'll be able to give it a proper test tomorrow, and I'm planning to wear it to work to see what others have to say.

My first impressions smelling it from the vial: strong but pleasant. The woody and floral notes overwhelm all of the more subtle ones at this point. I'm sure a little dab will do the trick, and it'll open up more when I try it out tomorrow.

So far so good!

WOW!

Mstrocovie, I will pm with my details.

This blend sounds AMAZING; I'm wearing something with a strong cumin note in it today and it has me feeling pretty gamey. When I happened upon this post I thought it was destiny, to be sure.

That really is spicy!

I was afraid at first that the patchouli would be overpowering, just based on smelling it in the vial. I was quite wrong.

The first thing that hit me when I put it on was the spiciness. It smelled like... I guess sort of like nutmeg or cinnamon? It combined very nicely with the florals and woods. There's a distinct sweetness to it as well, but it's far from feminine. The drydown is indeed woody, and very pleasant.

There are only two things that disappointed me. Firstly, I didn't detect the lime accord. I think a bit more citrus in the opening would be really interesting.

Secondly, it doesn't seem to have a whole lot of longevity. I can still smell it on my wrists two hours after application, but I don't catch a whiff of it without making an effort at this point. Maybe it's got something to do with all the natural oils in it rather than synthetics, or maybe it's because I didn't use enough.

I'm going to be re-applying it when I get home tonight for a second round... partly because I want to see if a more liberal dose will hold out longer, but mostly because I really like it! You've scored a hit with me, that's for sure.

First, thank you for being honest. Part of the reason this took as long as it did was that I had issues upholding the lime note without having the whole thing be citrusy. The spiciness is the agarwood/ patchouli/ bay combo. I ordered some synthetics yesterday and am going to use some in the next formulation of this. I will also use some glycerine to help with longevity issues. I like the concept, so I will keep trying to make it better. Thanks for the feedback and I will keep in touch.

Me Want Your Treasure , Give Me It, Or I"m A Comin After Ya

Vijay"Maisonstinky"

To follow up... the second time around I was able to pick up the citrus in the top notes. Very awesome. I look forward to seeing where you go with this.

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky View Post
    Me Want Your Treasure , Give Me It, Or I"m A Comin After Ya

ARRR!!! If it ain't me long lost matey. Thought we lost ye fer good chasin' a lassie smellin of Jasmine full into the black water swamp. Welcome aboard ya scurvy dawg! What be mine be yours........ ARRRR!!!!

Blog Entries

My sample of pirates gold arrived today! Unfortunately I was already scented for the day so can only sniff from the bottle...

mstrocovie - you have a true and strong talent! If you for whatever reason fail to continue with this scent I will personally hunt ye down, and have ye gizzards for me tea - de ye understand me??!!

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous... Just sniffed from the vial I get salty brine water, weathered wood and worn in leather. I get a sense of rum but it is not alcoholic or boozy. Very evocative. If I had a choice I would prefer Doubloon drier / woodier with a sharper initial opening be it from lime, spice, or a high pitched metallic edge to balance the earthier body and base of the scent. I'd probably add a touch of tobacco also...

Currently it reminds me of a cross between the dry arid spiced woodiness of Gucci pour Homme and the deep masculine leather / patchouli of Michael Kors Michael For Men, but wilder, rougher than either - very, very sexy.

Please keep me up to date on the development of this and put me on the reserved purchase list for a full bottle of the stuff. I can't stop sniffing it...

I shall update my review when I try it on my skin. :brolly:

Ok, am wearing this now and my initial perceptions and thoughts are holding true.

On my skin it appears to begin at the end with a hearty blast of swarthy warm skin, smoky dry woods and leather - loads of real leather. But this leather is like a weathered belt or musket strap, no where near the smoky meat market scent of Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories.

After it settles, about 20mins in, I am pleasantly surprised to recognise the iris and violet leaf are making an appearance and adding a lovely textured velvety nuance to all the testoterone dripping leather and woods. There is also a brief intermittent sparkle of the hidden lime, that breaks through like a sudden ray of sunshine on the sea, before the iris haloed with ambergris and leather reigns again. It appears fleeting but the dry warmth of the citrus (green mandarin, neroli) is more noticable as the scent draws to a close. The ending is a sexy, warm skin but better scent that would be irresistible on a man. It is positively sublime on me!

I do wish each stage was more clearly defined and had greater longevity but I suspect the complimentary synthetics will take care of that. I am also quite intrigued that my senses seemingly experience this scent in reverse?! It is original to say the least...

Though I am neither male nor butch I do love leather (in my scents) and fully intend to wear this myself once it is finished. It is assertive, confident and speaks to the wild, adventurous rogue in us all.

out of
    Last edited by moondeva; 8th May 2007 at 05:24 PM.

Red face Re: piratey scent

Thank you sooo much Moondeva for your review, I am truly honored and flattered by your kind words. I also experience this scent backwards, I think the agarwood makes this happen. It's like a wet canvas of sorts, no matter what you put on it, it is everpresent , intermitently yielding to other notes. Kinda of a cool effect , like breezes. But I would like more stability as well and will work to perfect it with the synthetics. Glad you like it....no ecstatic that you like it. I was a bit apprehensive by my own confession.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted,
    James

I just got my sample in the mail today! Great scent! Arrrgh, I feel like a drunken pirate swinging around and yelling, "Arrrgh! I be feelin' like a drunken pirate, swingin' around and yellin'!" But in all seriousness, you did a great job. I'm impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by yepyep View Post
    I just got my sample in the mail today! Great scent! Arrrgh, I feel like a drunken pirate swinging around and yelling, "Arrrgh! I be feelin' like a drunken pirate, swingin' around and yellin'!" But in all seriousness, you did a great job. I'm impressed!
    LOL......Thank you.

OK, I received my order of synthetics, familiarized myself with them, and am now working on a blend with better longevity and a clearer progression. Oh, and a twist.

Blog Entries

::moondeva prepares sleeping bag, thermos and hot water bottle for stackout at mstrcovie place to secure sample / bottle / decant of new formulation:: :brolly:
    Last edited by moondeva; 8th May 2007 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    ::moondeva prepares sleeping bag, thermos and hot water bottle for stackout at mstrcovie place to secure sample / bottle / decant of new formulation:: :brolly:
    Excellent, I need you here because the "twist" was inspired by a suggestion from you. I have worked tobacco into the basenotes and on my skin they ( the basenotes) are still detctable 10+ hours later. Will be adding middies later today. What's the hot water bottle for?

Blog Entries

Excellent, I need you here because the "twist" was inspired by a suggestion from you. I have worked tobacco into the basenotes and on my skin they ( the basenotes) are still detctable 10+ hours later. Will be adding middies later today. What's the hot water bottle for?
    Why to keep warm during the cold nights... and to fill with the precious jus when it is ready!
    That is great news about the tobacco - I think it could work really well. But now I am torn...

I am loving the straight animalic violet tinged leather so much I am scared that the tobacco may spoil it or change it in such away that the leather that I love will be lost...

But I am sure you have the touch and talent to make this addition work beautifully and I am on tenterhooks waiting for this new variation. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

::settles in for the long haul::
    Last edited by moondeva; 8th May 2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Not to worry, the tobacco note is only a touch. I've learned from working with it to go easy on it. In this blend , it lends it's sweet , slight smokiness to the leather and woods. This base note blend lasted through a shower this morning. The synthetics are really helping this and I am only using them for supporting already existing notes, so the character has not been changed.

I remember walking through the tobacco aisle of our local grocery store when I was a wee lad, and how good it smelled. Of course, that was before tobacco became so highly taxed that stores had to lock it up or stop selling it to keep people from stealing it.

But I digress. That should be an interesting and highly appropriate addition to this scent. Something to powerful definitely has the potential to throw off the balance, but I'm confident you can pull it off.

Ok, here is an updated version of the pyramid I'm working on for this. There are a couple of changes as you will see.

Top- Lime/ Citrus, Bay Rum, Ozonic note, Coconut

Middle- Violet Leaf, Jasmine, Fucus, Muguet, Iris

Base- Mysore Sandalwood, Buddahwood, Agarwood, Patchouli, Ambergris, Costus, Castoreum, Musk, Tobacco Leaf

I told you there were some changes. I feel they are for the better. At this moment, the lime/citrus/ ozonic is more pronounced in the top notes with the bay/ coconut creating a smooth edge to transition to the middle notes, that are greener and less floral in this mix.The base notes are almost everpresent with the addition of sandal, tobacco and a diffusive/spicy musk note add nicely to smooth leather.Time to let it sit....Stay tuned

Ooh, yes! I like the way the top notes are shaping up, especially the addition of coconut. That should really mellow out the lime/citrus/ozonic combination while still leaving it intact.

But now I find myself wanting to listen to that Harry Nilsson song...

Ok, here is an updated version of the pyramid I'm working on for this. There are a couple of changes as you will see.

Base- Mysore Sandalwood, Buddahwood, Agarwood, Patchouli, Ambergris, Costus, Castoreum, Musk, Tobacco Leaf

I told you there were some changes. I feel they are for the better. At this moment, the lime/citrus/ ozonic is more pronounced in the top notes with the bay/ coconut creating a smooth edge to transition to the middle notes, that are greener and less floral in this mix.The base notes are almost everpresent with the addition of sandal, tobacco and a diffusive/spicy musk note add nicely to smooth leather.Time to let it sit....Stay tuned
    Sounds good. I hope you make this in larger quantities I'd like to give it a try.

Dan

Blog Entries

Is it ready yet? ...... Is it ready yet?...... Is it ready yet?

::Whining impatiently with faced smooshed up against the shop window...::
    Last edited by moondeva; 24th May 2007 at 02:17 PM.

Patience dear. Since I added some synthetics to this formula it has changed it some. At first I thought coconut( synthetic) was a good idea, but after sitting and marrying, it became nauseating to me. So I dumbed it down, removed some of the notes ( coconut especially) and added one. I removed sandalwood, musk, muguet, coconut and the ozonic note. Went a little heavier with the violet leaf and added green pepper to the top notes and am making a tincture of charred oak barrel chips(used for storing liquor). I think this will be the note that ties it all together . Your input it greatly appreciated. Get off the glass so I can clean it.
    HEY! How did I get a Lolita Lempika bottle icon?
    Ok, here we go. I made another variant of this scent, as I already stated. It seems as though the extra time sitting and a side by side comparison revealed that synthetics may take a little while to settle into a blend. I like them both. So I decided to take the best of both and combine them. The coconut note is back in but more subdued and so is the musk and sandal....also subdued. The result is nice and I am adding alcohol and glycerine tomorrow. It kinda reminds me of a leather laden Cartier of sorts. It is still spicey, a little drier at first, little more citrusy and the leather and woods do wait to make an appearance in strength. Here IS the pyramid:

Top :Lime / citrus , Neroli , Bay rum, Green pepper, Black cumin, Ozone( very little), Coconut( very little)

Mid: Violet leaf, Jasmine, Iris, Fucus, Muguet and a ray of sunshine!

Base: Precious and exotic Woods, Ambergris, Costus, Musk, Tobacco leaf and Oak moss.

Hopefully you will like it. I want to wait a week or two before sending out samples. The strength is 20% and you will need to give me addy again through a cleaned out PM inbox. ARRRR!!! Gotta go , me thinks I see a Spanish galleon on yonder horizon....Man the guns ya dawgs!!!
    Last edited by mstrocovie; 26th May 2007 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Blog Entries

Patience dear. Since I added some synthetics to this formula it has changed it some. At first I thought coconut( synthetic) was a good idea, but after sitting and marrying, it became nauseating to me. So I dumbed it down, removed some of the notes ( coconut especially) and added one. I removed sandalwood, musk, muguet, coconut and the ozonic note. Went a little heavier with the violet leaf and added green pepper to the top notes and am making a tincture of charred oak barrel chips(used for storing liquor). I think this will be the note that ties it all together . Your input it greatly appreciated. Get off the glass so I can clean it.
    HEY! How did I get a Lolita Lempika bottle icon?
    Ok, here we go. I made another variant of this scent, as I already stated. It seems as though the extra time sitting and a side by side comparison revealed that synthetics may take a little while to settle into a blend. I like them both. So I decided to take the best of both and combine them. The coconut note is back in but more subdued and so is the musk and sandal....also subdued. The result is nice and I am adding alcohol and glycerine tomorrow. It kinda reminds me of a leather laden Cartier of sorts. It is still spicey, a little drier at first, little more citrusy and the leather and woods do wait to make an appearance in strength. Here IS the pyramid:

Top :Lime / citrus , Neroli , Bay rum, Green pepper, Black cumin, Ozone( very little), Coconut( very little)

Mid: Violet leaf, Jasmine, Iris, Fucus, Muguet and a ray of sunshine!

Base: Precious and exotic Woods, Ambergris, Costus, Musk, Tobacco leaf and Oak moss.

Hopefully you will like it. I want to wait a week or two before sending out samples. The strength is 20% and you will need to give me addy again through a cleaned out PM inbox. ARRRR!!! Gotta go , me thinks I see a Spanish galleon on yonder horizon....Man the guns ya dawgs!!!
    At last the forum is accessible again! I received my sample of Doubloon II just before the the forum crashed and so have been unable to share my thoughts until today.

First and foremost I have to stress again that mstrocovie is a formidably talented perfumer in the making. i fear that my efforts will always seem juvenile compared to the delicate complexity of his blends.

But back to the jus. Sadly this new incarnation of Doubloon is not for me. Doubloon was rich, luxe, leathery and sexy - the scent of a swarthy chested pirate, devilishly goodlooking, and ravishment on his mind.

Doubloon II is the scent of brackish bilge water. It seems strangely lifeless and has an irritating note that keeps causing my nose to flair and threatens to trigger a migraine. I think the main culprit is the 'ozone note' that you added since last time. I am particularly sensitive to that note in perfume, so though it may not stand out to others it is particularly troublesome for me...

I cannot get past it. Is there hidden cucumber in there as well? Or is that just the character of the ozone note? Either way it is not for me.

I have tried layering it with the original which does make it much more tolerable. However I must admit defeat. It develops that annoying 'sweaty man musk' note that many modern men's colognes seem to have (I think to put off women from wearing them). Even I cannot carry this off.

I tried to get SO to sample the original but he said it was too 'girly, floral' for him. I guess that's why I loved it - it was a less civilised Balmain Jolie Madame (violets, leather, animalic) created for the manliest, most dangerous pirate.

If it lost some of the manly sweaty musk note I'd have a new HG scent but as it is I shall have to dream wistfully as I wave the wonderful Doubloon away from the shore...

Great blend, mstrocovie! Thank you for allowing me to partake of it.

Probably wishful thinking but.. Any more samples available?
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Ah, finally, I can check in on you again!

I was away for a while, and when I tried to come back--no forums! If it's at all possible to request a sample of the new variant, I'd love to try it! I'm still excited to see where the original formula is going too. =)

Hello , great to be back. Yes, there are samples left of the II not of the first one though.

*jaw drops* sounds amazing
    could i request a sample too please?

dropped ya a pm about a sample.. might be fun to test alongside bpal Jolly Roger

I got my sample of Doubloon II yesterday, which was quite appropriate considering it was International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Today I wore it to work.

Simply put, I like it, but not as much as the original formula. The citrus notes are far more pronounced in this one, and that's good, but the other, bolder notes don't hit quite as hard this time. I liked the original Doubloon's in-your-face potency.

The remainder of the sample won't go to waste, though. It's still an impressive fragrance!
    You know, now that I've had some time to consider it...

I would actually want to have a bottle of Doubloon II around for days when I didn't feel like going all-out with the first Doubloon. The only real issue I'd have with purchasing a full bottle would be the longevity. It doesn't seem to last as long as the original, which wasn't an all-day frag either.

If you should ever make a large batch of either version, please put me down for a bottle.
    Last edited by adoblivione; 24th September 2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I received samples of I and II the other day and at first sniff, like them a lot! I have only just dabbed on the back of my hand so far, so I'll come back once I've had a chance to give them the full run through
    Thanks!

When i read the title I immediately imagined a dusty, musky rum soaked leather with just a shade of powder, and that smell of old parchment and pachouli with a nice dose of opium and tobacco.

also: filthy hair

y/n?

Quote Originally Posted by comsatzinger View Post
    When i read the title I immediately imagined a dusty, musky rum soaked leather with just a shade of powder, and that smell of old parchment and pachouli with a nice dose of opium and tobacco.

also: filthy hair

y/n?
    filthy hair -----yes and old leather---- it's the costus effect

mstrocovie, where are you getting your seaweed note? Is it Fucus EO or is it an aromachemical/fragrance oil? I've been looking all over for a "salty sea" note and I think Fucus would be it, but the price of the absolute is out of my range. Got any alternative ideas?

And, just because I'm so curious: Did you really shell out for the natural seaweed absolute? Cause if so: Wow. That's dedication.

Yes I did buy fucus absolute. You don't need alot and it should be diluted waaay down. The stuff is very funkified, like a bait boy on a fishing vessel funky. I have alot left , as it is tenacious and should be used sparingly. As far as sea note goes I think the ambergris is better than the fucus and as far as price goes the fucus is more economical. Ambergris is not cheap.
    Last edited by mstrocovie; 1st December 2007 at 04:32 PM.

I did a tincture of cosmetic grade seaweed - what they sell to add to soaps - and it worked so well. Just an idea for people who want a less costly alternative.
    Cece

Just wore Doubloon II to work again today. Makes me wish I had more (of either formulation). Any plans yet to make larger batches? *hopeful grin*

I got my sample and I have to say it's just awesome. Spicey, floral, and manly. I can see myself wearing it everyday. I haven't ran across any other cologne that blends these scents together so well. I'm ready for a big bottle.
    "mess with the best die like the rest"