Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Surprising dissapointments

Dissapointing scents after great reviews and surprising nice scents after negative reviews;I stopped blind buying just based on good reviews;several times I bought a wrong one and it's time to trust my own nose now. Your experiences?

Default Re: Surprising dissapointments

Never. Buy. Blind.

Unless it's a bargain likely to be sold off without a hassle But I don't think I'll ever do it.

It depends. But something tells me I'll never stop...

Depends. I just bought Bulgari Aqua blind, and GIT quasi blind (I've smelt it before a few times, but not in a few months)
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I like to read reviews from time to time, and i also like to post some of them too, but in the end it's all a matter of personal choice and i also think it's not necessarily bad that someone finds that one great review is in discordance with what you think of whatever fragrance. (or viceversa)
    I like to know all opinions, no matter what the outcome might be like.

My experience? too many to count!
    Last edited by castorpollux; 1st March 2007 at 01:25 PM.

Rich and the others are absolutely right. Smell is such a personal thing that it's nearly impossible to do more than make general observations or "this is good for me" type of recommendations.

In addition, so many scents get tied up to particular experiences or times in our lives, which augments or lowers their value without real connection to the scent itself.

For example, there were several older, discontinued fragrances that many members lamented terribly being gone, saying they were just absolutely wonderful and that the world was worse-off for them having been discontinued. I managed to try some not long ago and just didn't see the point. They seemed like old discontinued fragrances to me. I wonder how much of the appeal was in the time period in which the original wearer wore them?

For example, I have some fond memories Eau d'orange verte because I wore it during the best summer I ever had, so anytime I smell it I think for an instant about that time. Likewise, the worst person I've ever met wore Habit Rouge, so that too effects my judgment of it.

Most of the time, I think that I can be fairly objective and still recommend Habit Rouge, because I think it is a very well-constructed scent, but how many other scents have I tried and dismissed because of some other sort of prejudice not related to the actual scent, but to a situation, person, time...

Therefore, I too read the reviews just to get a general "sense" of the fragrance, but I never let it be my end-all. Likewise, when making a review, I try and give an opinion of it taking into consideration what I said above (for example, I never say, "GO GET THIS... period!" Rather, I might say, "If you like something like XXX, perhaps you'll like this as well.")
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 1st March 2007 at 01:21 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    In addition, so many scents get tied up to particular experiences or times in our lives, which augments or lowers their value without real connection to the scent itself.

For example, there were several older, discontinued fragrances that many members lamented terribly being gone, saying they were just absolutely wonderful and that the world was worse-off for them having been discontinued. I managed to try some not long ago and just didn't see the point. They seemed like old discontinued fragrances to me. I wonder how much of the appeal was in the time period in which the original wearer wore them?

For example, I have some fond memories Eau d'orange verte because I wore it during the best summer I ever had, so anytime I smell it I think for an instant about that time. Likewise, the worst person I've ever met wore Habit Rouge, so that too effects my judgment of it.

Most of the time, I think that I can be fairly objective and still recommend Habit Rouge, because I think it is a very well-constructed scent, but how many other scents have I tried and dismissed because of some other sort of prejudice not related to the actual scent, but to a situation, person, time...

Therefore, I too read the reviews just to get a general "sense" of the fragrance, but I never let it be my end-all. Likewise, when making a review, I try and give an opinion of it taking into consideration what I said above (for example, I never say, "GO GET THIS... period!" Rather, I might say, "If you like something like XXX, perhaps you'll like this as well.")
    Perfect. Second.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Bois du Portugal is a nice fragrance but I find Santos a far better fragrance at much lower cost. To be perfectly honest I've really not found a Creed fragrance worth the premium price they command. Not to say they are bad fragrances by any stretch of the imagination or that I've looked into the Creed line all that extensively but I've yet to find a Creed fragrance where I couldn't find another fragrance I preferred at a much lower cost.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by sniff
    Dissapointing scents after great reviews and surprising nice scents after negative reviews;I stopped blind buying just based on good reviews;several times I bought a wrong one and it's time to trust my own nose now. Your experiences?
    I still am finding it very interesting that CK Euphoria for Men came in runner-up as best new fragrance in the Basenotes poll, but review posts were predominantly negative.

I've never been disappointed in the scent after buying (semi-) blind based on reviews. Sometimes I've been disappointed that my taste didn't connect with what the scent had to offer; but I'm not going to say that I'm disappointed in the Mona Lisa just because I don't want to hang it in my living room. I find that I gain something from developing the ability to appreciate even when the thing in question is outside the realm of my own taste.
    "She allowed subsequently to Cottard that she found me remarkably enthusiastic; he replied that I was too emotional, that I needed sedatives, and that I ought to take up knitting." --Proust, *Cities of the Plain*

Quote Originally Posted by oolong
    Bois du Portugal is a nice fragrance but I find Santos a far better fragrance at much lower cost. To be perfectly honest I've really not found a Creed fragrance worth the premium price they command. Not to say they are bad fragrances by any stretch of the imagination or that I've looked into the Creed line all that extensively but I've yet to find a Creed fragrance where I couldn't find another fragrance I preferred at a much lower cost.
    I bought Taberone blind (discounted heavily) and was very disappointed. I like Ginger and Tobacco but not in this juice. The ginger comes off as too sharp and the tobacco is much too light for my tastes. Also, I bought a bunch of Creed samples a while ago. Though I can appreciate their originality, nothing really stood out as something I would wear. For me, the Creed allure is dead. Now on to Hermes!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by CM Wolff
    I still am finding it very interesting that CK Euphoria for Men came in runner-up as best new fragrance in the Basenotes poll, but review posts were predominantly negative.
    What good fragrance was released in 2006? The reason something as bland as Euphoria was a runner up was because there really wasn't anything good released in 2006. This isn't a knock on CK, just the plain subjective truth.
    - Rich

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_
    What good fragrance was released in 2006? The reason something as bland as Euphoria was a runner up was because there really wasn't anything good released in 2006. This isn't a knock on CK, just the plain subjective truth.
    - Rich
    Actually, I don't see 2006 being that bad of a year for fragrances. Terre d' Hermes (the winner), Cannabis Santal, Gris Clair, Les Nez frags, Le Labo frags, Burberry London, all pretty good frags. I am surprised by Euphoria's strong showing too.

Basenotes Institution

I blind bought Sticky Cake by Comme de Garcons & am severley disappointed. I also blind bought Black XS by Paco Rabanne and luv it.

Go figure.

Guerilain Heritage and Comptoir Sud Pacifique Aqua Motu were my most surprising disappointments.

Being a fan of woody orientals, Heritage should have been an absolute. However, I found it quite unpleasant initially. Eventually I warmed, but only slightly. I didn't find an aquatic in Aqua Motu. It was a beach scent, warmed sand and skin, with a faint breeze. Also very dry. I find Erolfa and Millesime Imperial much more vivid and interesting.

Angry Re: Surprising dissapointments

As I've said Guerlain Veviter was a disappointment of epic proportions...I'm still dumbfounded when I read the glowing reviews.

smeller

Opium PH (Something very interesting during the drydown, but, besides that, very bad)

Dolce & Gabbana PH (I can't stand this modern fruity thing. To me, this is worse than Aqua di Gio)

Gucci PH (To me, it doesn't smells like pencil shavings, but like women makeup - really - so I keep it away)

Obsession PH (I just don't see why someone would like to smell like this. Boring)

Eau Sauvage (Very overrated)

212 (Just a clone of watermelon Aqua di Gio)

Of course, IMHO.

I want my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by gfinnil
    As I've said Guerlain Veviter was a disappointment of epic proportions...I'm still dumbfounded when I read the glowing reviews.
    I agree. Maybe it just doesn't work for me. My wife said I smelled like her grandpop.

Quote Originally Posted by snakesandladders
    Actually, I don't see 2006 being that bad of a year for fragrances. Terre d' Hermes (the winner), Cannabis Santal, Gris Clair, Les Nez frags, Le Labo frags, Burberry London, all pretty good frags. I am surprised by Euphoria's strong showing too.
    Yes it is agreed that Terre d' Hermes was an excellent release, but none of the other fragrances you mentioned except for Gris Clair were even nominated. It's been noted before that 2006 was a poor year for cologne/perfume. Personally? I love Rose 31, but niche didn't even have a chance in the voting. Perhaps I should have said 2006 was a poor year for designer fragrances. Niche has always produced, but that may take a turn for the worse. We just have to cross our fingers.
    - Rich

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja
    Never. Buy. Blind.
    Nothing beats sampling and testing to reduce disappointment. I recently discovered a fragrance that I was considering buying in the sping did not smell good on me as my body temp rose. It immediately dropped from my wish list.

I was really dissapointed in the MI by Creed. I was expecting something amazing and beautiful but I just found it fruity with a hint of sea. It's not fair that I didn't give it a full chance so I'll eventually come back around to this.
    Looking for Partial or Full Bottles Of:
    Silver Mountain Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Scent of Peace

PM me please.

After reading all the reviews & recommendations for Roise Poivree, I bought it blind and it was exactly what I wanted. I thought from that experience I could expect the same from Rose 31 from all the similar, great review. Thank god I only bought a sample...its makes me feel physically sick. :-|

Cool Re: Surprising dissapointments

Quote Originally Posted by odinthor
    I've never been disappointed in the scent after buying (semi-) blind based on reviews. Sometimes I've been disappointed that my taste didn't connect with what the scent had to offer; but I'm not going to say that I'm disappointed in the Mona Lisa just because I don't want to hang it in my living room. I find that I gain something from developing the ability to appreciate even when the thing in question is outside the realm of my own taste.

Well said.

Aramis 900, for example, is a great and well constructed fragrance--that I can't stand. Much too herbal and medicinal for me.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh
    After reading all the reviews & recommendations for Roise Poivree, I bought it blind and it was exactly what I wanted. I thought from that experience I could expect the same from Rose 31 from all the similar, great review. Thank god I only bought a sample...its makes me feel physically sick. :-|
    I felt the same sickness when smelled my Rose Poivrée.
    How different people's senses can be

Quote Originally Posted by thisbekevinn
    I was really dissapointed in the MI by Creed. I was expecting something amazing and beautiful but I just found it fruity with a hint of sea. It's not fair that I didn't give it a full chance so I'll eventually come back around to this.
    Ditto, but I've tried it 5, or 6 times. Don't even get the "aquatic" label. Its a weak citrus to me, and one of Creed's weakest and most bland offerings.
    - Rich