Code of Conduct

Default Sick and tired of sillage letdowns!

I literally have no luck with sillage. I don't turn people's heads. I want people to give me funny looks. Take a look at my wardorbe/owned fragrances... The best so far is Platinum but that one is even unpredicatble at times. I want something that's fresh and clean, but will project well...I even layer it with the matching deodorant.

I tried Leu De Issey but i found it too light and a little nauseating.

I wish i could like A MEN, b/c i heard thats great. But I also don't want to smell like candy or like cofee/chocolate.

any suggestions on some reliable, fresh sillage crazy colognes? or maybe some techniques to make sillage?

right now, this is what i use:

1. Body oil (unscented)
    2. deodorant (use Guess Man and PE deodorants)
    3. 3 sprays to neck (two sides, one back), 1 or 2 to the chest.

i have tried wrists but it washes off fast.

thanks.

Default Re: Sick and tired of sillage letdowns!

I think you may be ready to meet Kouros.

Maybe SixCats can give you a hand....

I wore about 40% of a Bond No. 9 Wall Street sample today and it projects VERY VERY nicely it turned a lot of heads....my friend asked me what I was wearing, I told him it was Unforgiveable lol!
    Chez Bond has great sillage as well!
    Try'em out you won't be dissapointed!
    Last edited by EarNoseThroat; 3rd March 2007 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man
    I want people to give me funny looks.
    Do you really want to be the "cologne guy"?

I think that part of the problem is that you're asking a "fresh and clean" scent to be something that it's not.

Hanae Mori HM is relatively fresh because of the floral and citrus, but the gourmand aspect may not be what your looking for. Very strong.

Creed Original Vetiver is probably the closest to what you're looking for. It is fresh and clean and for 3 hours projects very well. You will need to reply after that however.

I literally have no luck with sillage. I don't turn people's heads. I want people to give me funny looks. Take a look at my wardorbe/owned fragrances... The best so far is Platinum but that one is even unpredicatble at times. I want something that's fresh and clean, but will project well...I even layer it with the matching deodorant.

I tried Leu De Issey but i found it too light and a little nauseating.

I wish i could like A MEN, b/c i heard thats great. But I also don't want to smell like candy or like cofee/chocolate.

any suggestions on some reliable, fresh sillage crazy colognes? or maybe some techniques to make sillage?

right now, this is what i use:

1. Body oil (unscented)
    2. deodorant (use Guess Man and PE deodorants)
    3. 3 sprays to neck (two sides, one back), 1 or 2 to the chest.

i have tried wrists but it washes off fast.

thanks.
    Spray some more. There's no better way to get funny looks, and 4-5 sprays with only 3 of them on open skin is not really that much.

YSL has solutions to all your problems.

Oh, and one other thing: using body oil increases longevity, AND DECREASES SILLAGE. The oil reduces the evaporation of the scent, thus aromatic molecules are set free into the air around you more slowly; The cloud around you stays longer, but is smaller. So if you want to have more sillage, spray more, and don't use body oil.

3 sprays to neck (two sides, one back), 1 or 2 to the chest.
    You don't have to be so calculated with the spraying act. I mean, I never count how many sprays I give to myself, I just rotate the hand around my neck while spraying until I feel I'm surrounded by a fragrant aura.

yea i was thinking about that^ it makes sense. i guess maybe i'll try to use the oil only 2 or 3 times a week to moisturize b/c as of now i use it right after a shower then right after that i spray my cologne.

i was wondering why my cool water has been smelling kinda weak lately too...

but yes, body oild def. increased longevity by at least double, in my experience.

First, shower without soap. Use your hands and scrub yourself til you're squeaky clean. Increases pheromone projection as well as sillage from scents. Plus, chicks unknowingly dig the subtly rugged smell you have when you do that.
    Second, there's a thing called olfactory fatigue. You won't smell your scent so strongly after a while. It becomes white noise to you. Other people will smell it just the same. Just because it doesn't turn heads doesn't mean they can't smell it, or that they can't tell that you're overdosing - and maybe they're just trying to be polite about you using too much and just not saying anything about it. Try asking people after a while.
    Third, people don't usually turn their heads unless you're attractive. Smelling good only helps, but that alone won't turn heads.

IMO, the best way to go about wearing it is to put on enough that a person talking to you face to face could smell you and be pleasantly surprised, but not enough for them to be able to tell you with 100% confidence what you're wearing(unless they're as good as we are with noses, but most girls will guess you're wearing Abercrombie or Hollister - a girl friend of mine thought L'Eau D'Issey was Hollister Jake @_@). Girls secretly love not knowing things about a man. It makes him all the more mysterious. Not knowing why it is you smell so good is part of the package. The same applies to men. I'd know, I fell victim to it before I was big on this stuff. This isn't to say that it's not good for them to be able to tell what you're wearing because you're wearing enough(or too much) of it. That's fine too, and it can be attractive. But not nearly as much as the psychological game you play if you're wearing JUST enough. Understanding women is about being psychologically adept, and being able to play them in every thing you do. Speaking from huge experience here, both as a crooning lady-killer and a psychology student. And this is even more true at our age, because their minds are weaker. In addition, you'll block out your own natural smell if you wear too much, which is where the majority of the attraction lies. I like to see cologne, along with what else I have listed, as a way of projecting your own smell with a touch of flare, like when dogs roll in eachother's shit. :P

3 sprays to neck (two sides, one back), 1 or 2 to the chest.
    I think that's your problem right there ... especially with "fresh" scents. Not that you have to spray like a maniac like me ( I normally spray 15 + times ), but many of the lighter and fresh scents I wear fade big time halfway through the day ... even with overspraying. You can also try spraying some on your shirt collar.

One scent I've found to have very good longevity in the "fresh, aquatic" category is Creative Universe Mare. I wore it yesterday as my SOTD and I could still smell it 10 hours later after I got home.

Try Fahrenheit by Dior... if you can't get sillage from that, then there's no hope for you!

Not to sound like an echo box, but increasing sprays and using less oil/moisturizer will help with the sillage.

Also, sillage can be increased by spraying in more diffuse areas- holding the bottle far away and spraying, then walking into the "cloud" of spray is a sure-fire way to cover a larger area. Since evaporation rate is proportional to surface area, spraying over a large area like this will increase evaporation and therefore increase sillage. I usually do a few (depending on the fragrance, of course) of these far sprays, then a few near sprays on the neck, chest, wrists, and back of the knees if I'm wearing shorts. The more concentrated sprays are conducive to longevity, and mixing the two gives you the best of both worlds. Just my two one-hundredths of a dollar...

I don't turn people's heads. I want people to give me funny looks.
    A*Men is the scent for you then. People aren't suprised when you smell fresh and clean. It should be common place. They will be suprised if they smell chocolate, and will search low and high to find out who's wearing it. I know you don't like it, but if you want people to give you funny looks, that's definitely the way to do it.

/\ Try Fahrenheit. Very odd, but a very good scent. This will definitely get you some wierd looks, and has killer sillage too.

Spray more. Spray on the inside of your elbows. Spray it on your Cheerios in the morning. DRINK YOUR COLOGNE.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_
    People aren't suprised when you smell fresh and clean.
    This is quite true.

As such, you may want to try something a little off-kilter to get that projection and to get that mystique. I don't really recommend just spraying more... all that will do is get funny looks because you're knocking everybody else over at the party.

If you don't like the candy of A*Men, what about something darker like Gucci PH, Dior Homme, YSL M7, Rive Gauche PH, or Body Kouros? All of these are easily obtainable online at a very good price, but aren't your everyday "I just got out of the shower" detergents. And, if you want sillage, Body Kouros certainly has that.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Talking Re: Sick and tired of sillage letdowns!

thanks for all the replies! Do you apply freshly out of the shower or do you wait a bit?

There's tons of spraying techniques out there, but they always missing small details. For example "spray in your hair" ..ok..but do you do this while it's wet? do you spray it before you gel and style your hair or after? it's those specifics that i would love to know.

thank you!

smeller

thanks for all the replies! Do you apply freshly out of the shower or do you wait a bit?

There's tons of spraying techniques out there, but they always missing small details. For example "spray in your hair" ..ok..but do you do this while it's wet? do you spray it before you gel and style your hair or after? it's those specifics that i would love to know.

thank you!
    Seriously, do you believe that mixing your fragrance with water would increase its power? Think about it.

Also, I certainly would not mix fragrance with any gel and/or styling hair products, Sir...

So, I suggest you apply your frags on your clean and dry (or oiled) skin, with no other products on it.

Good luck.

I guess you ignored my recommendation from a while back to slather yourself in Geir. Trust me, 20 sprays of that and you will have miles of fresh sillage and you will definately turn heads.

I literally have no luck with sillage. I don't turn people's heads. I want people to give me funny looks.
    Why do you feel the need to wear a fragrance that will make people turn their heads and give you funny looks?
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Why would i wear a 50+ fragrance that only i can smell on myself. i would just use deodorant if I wanted that.

Why would i wear a 50+ fragrance that only i can smell on myself. i would just use deodorant if I wanted that.
    You not only want other people to smell you, but you said you wanted your fragrance to elicit funny looks. Why would you want people to turn their heads and look at you funny because of your fragrance? This is what you're stating, and I'm just curious as to why.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

because. only 1-2% of people in my school wear cologne...as far as I've smelled or heard.

I want to stand out. I don't want girls. I have one already. I am a senior and i want to be remembered as "that guy who wore cologne"

because. only 1-2% of people in my school wear cologne...as far as I've smelled or heard.

I want to stand out. I don't want girls. I have one already. I am a senior and i want to be remembered as "that guy who wore cologne"
    OK. Great answer, actually, and honest. I guess we all wear fragrance for different reasons. I wear it primarily for myself, and if I get complimented then great, if I don't then I don't. It's for my own enjoyment, not as an attention seeking thing. But if that's why you wear fragrance, it's all good : )

Basenotes Institution

Spray more than 3 times!

Try A*Men, Gucci Pour Homme or Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Get yourself some '65 Aramis and apply liberally.

I guarantee that people will notice you - they'll still be noticing you when they awake from their scent induced coma a few years later.

This juice is a beast! Lovely drydown though

Quote Originally Posted by Biffo_the_Bear
    I guarantee that people will notice you - they'll still be noticing you when they awake from their scent induced coma a few years later.
    LOL! Tell you what, when I get my bottle of Fahrenheit (Tried it again today. Hmmmmmm yummy), I'll try and send you a decant. I'll let you know when I get it.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

LOL I think Far. smells like oil. I tested it tonight at Macys.

Try Joop Homme. If that does not work, give up - no scent is as potent and lasts longer than it does.

I use six sprays under clothes and have rarely had a problem, other than with with some scents that are too weak or scents that require a bit of perspiration to make them kick in again (e.g. Gucci Rush, Jill Sander Pure).
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 4th March 2007 at 05:15 AM.

LOL I think Far. smells like oil. I tested it tonight at Macys.
    It does. Mmmmmmm mm!
    - Rich

I'm sick of no sillage also. I've tried about 200 samples in the last 10 months and I'm majorily dissatisfied with 99.9% of everything. Try Frederick Malle Bigarade Concentree. I get lots of favorable comments from women on this one. The other one I like that has major sillage is Czech & Speake #88. My wife says it fills the room when I wear it. Don't be afraid that it has rose in it. It really smells like expensive french handmade milled soap with hint of smokey rose.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Try Joop Homme. If that does not work, give up - no scent is as potent and lasts longer than it does.

I use six sprays under clothes and have rarely had a problem, other than with with some scents that are too weak or scents that require a bit of perspiration to make them kick in again (e.g. Gucci Rush, Jill Sander Pure).
    Renato
    Oh I agree on Joop Homme if your body does not create sillage from this scent ...jack I hate to say but your dead

Next I would suggest Yardley Gentleman. This scent is equally powerful in the sense that you don't wear it ....it wears YOU!