Code of Conduct

Default Do colognes get more potent or weaker over time?

I've heard two sides of this story.

Some people say colognes get more potent and powerful over time if you let it sit in it's bottle.

Some people say colognes get stale/rancid and loose power over time and become weak.

which is true? does it depend on the cologne? Would any colognes in my wardrobe get strong over time instead of rancid/weaker?

Default Re: Do colognes get more potent or weaker over time?

My old spice has definitely improved after 4 years storage..

Dependent

since becoming a member I've read quite a few posts about good scents going bad.
    Then the other day while waiting for my nubile nurse to give me my shots, I was reading about Creeds being aged like wine. I won't spell it all out, I'll just google aged Creeds.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    I won't spell it all out, I'll just google aged Creeds.
    With this Basenoter, I think you'll need to...

Logic would suggest that evaporation increases concentration. This is of course assuming the esters evaporate at a slower rate than that of the carrier ingredient which in most cases is alcohol. To a certain degree, alcohol evaporation is beneficial in that it's vapor density is 1.1 which is grater than that of air and in effect the vapor creates a type of barrier against oxidation.

Oxidation is quite a bit more harmful to fragrance than evaporation. Oxidation causes organic materials to literally rot. Oxidation most often occurs because of temperature fluctuations. When the temperature of alcohol rises, it expands thus creating higher pressure within the bottle than that of the surrounding atmospheric pressure. The pressures eventually equalizes by way of tiny little leaks in the seal which expels some of the alcohol vapor. Loss of vapor translates directly into loss of volume. Conversely, when the temperature decreases, the alcohol's volume is reduced which then forms a vacuum within the bottle. Constant pressure is no match for a factory seal and air will eventually find it's way into the bottle. Your bottles are in effect...breathing.

It sounds like a double edged sword...spray pumps prevent exposure to the air far more effectively than a twist cap, but the torque of a twist cap can be controlled which can prevent vapor transfer.

Moral of the story; Buy a wine cooler featuring barometric control to preserve your fragrances or use them quickly