Code of Conduct
    akenep

Question Looking for a "sleeper" scent......

I am looking for a "sleeper" ...a scent that I can wear on airline flights when I traveling for my job, something that will not offend (pungent) and the person sitting next to me, yet will make them want to know what I am wearing.

Im not looking for the usual like...Gendarme, TM, Clean, Eau d'Orange, IM, etc. I already have Lanvin L'Homme

Is there something out there like this, that does'nt cost a small fortune?
    Last edited by akenep; 4th March 2007 at 02:17 AM.

Default Re: Looking for a "sleeper" scent......

I feel that a main stream sleeper is Emporio by Armani.....This is really good....Gary

Dior Homme is not overpowering, but it projects very well.

Quote Originally Posted by akenep
    something that will not offend (pungent) and the person sitting next to me, yet will make them want to know what I am wearing ... not looking for the usual
    I'd vote for Contradiction for men (fresh-spicy) or a good sandalwood like Tam Dao.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I am looking for a "sleeper" ...a scent that I can wear on airline flights when I traveling for my job, something that will not offend (pungent) and the person sitting next to me, yet will make them want to know what I am wearing.

Im not looking for the usual like...Gendarme, TM, Clean, Eau d'Orange, IM, etc. I already have Lanvin L'Homme

I'm going to consider a "sleeper" fragrance one that isnt mentioned on the board every other day.

So I'll go with Moschino Friends (yes, it's bottled Orange Juice, but so refreshing). A very clean and uplifting scent.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

A*Men all the way... ... ... just kidding.
    Dolce & Gabbana, Versace Metal Jeans, Versace Blue Jeans, and Bulgari Black come to mind.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Liz Claiborne Mambo for Men
    Oscar by Oscar de la Renta

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Azzaro makes one that's sold only at airports. It's called Jet Lag. I can't say I've ever smelled it, but it's advertised as being specifically what you ask for: pleasant but not offensively strong. If you try it, please review it for us. It's not yet in the Directory.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I would recommend Eau Sauvage. Don't let the name fool you, this is very pleasant, clean, and not in any way offensive. Give it a try.

Try Molinard's Madrigal. It might be perfect for what you describe. Molinard's Rafale might be good too, and Caron's Pour un Homme might work well too (except it isn't one I imagine people will wish to know about).
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I am looking for a "sleeper" ...a scent that I can wear on airline flights when I traveling for my job, something that will not offend.

A little more information would be REALLY helpful like...what is you gender? How old are you? (It should be mandatory to click one little box when you register).

I'm not looking for the usual like...Gendarme, TM, Clean, Eau d'Orange, IM, etc. I already have Lanvin L'Homme
    I'm not sure these would be considered "usual".
    If you're of the male gender, I'd recommend Cacharel L'Homme, It's not a sleeper unless you've never tried it, but it is a very nice scent which would work well for spring and summer...and it doesn't cost a small fortune....but I don't know if you already have that because I can't see your wardrobe.

Besides those already mentioned:

Terre d'Hermes - Applied lightly. Very pleasant, very inoffensive, and very unique.

Perry Ellis 360 Black - A true sleeper. A really good scent, fairly light and refreshing. I got this dirt cheap at TJ Maxx and am loving every minute of it.

Rive Gauche by YSL - Again, applied lightly. Makes you smell very clean and well groomed.

cK Be - Almost impossible to over-apply. Light, fresh, and good for all occasions.

Boss Bottled / #6 - Very delightful. Sweet, vanillic, and it has one of the best smelling apple notes in any cologne. It's real apple- not that synthetic Be Delicious / Reaction "apple" note. Very pleasantly surprised by this one.

Escada Magnetism - Again, applied lightly. Some say metallic grapes, I say nothing of the sort. More like a sweet wood with perhaps some unknown, mysterious fruit in there. Good stuff.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the Rive Gauche. Sublime stuff.

Santal Imperial by Creed, you can occasionally pick this up cheap on ebay or perhaps other online vendors.
    A bit of citrus in the top and much natural sandalwood which does not project strongly at all, while it is soothing and clears the mind - good for flying, I should think. If anything your neighbor will suddenly think (s)he's travelling luxury class.

Light and inoffensive in the floral/transparent direction, but not very common: Rodier pour homme, Incanto by Ferragamo.

Edit: And,of course, there's always classic Eau de Cologne for situations like this: Guerlain Imperial, Asprey Purple Water, Roger&Gallet Cologne etc. pp. (see EdC thread).
    Last edited by the_good_life; 4th March 2007 at 10:29 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Citrus warning

Citrus notes are are lovely and fresh, but some people can be severely allergic, so I'd advise against them...

I'd go with YSL Rive Gauche with just a few sprays worn under your clothes.
    Smells dignified and classy and the longevity is excellent.

I second Eau Sauvage. Paul Smith Story would work well too.

I'll agree that ck be is a great choice, also Bvlgari PH.

No offense to those that mentioned Rive Gauche, but I just dont think it really fits into the "sleeper" or "non-offensive" categories.

RG has very nice sillage and I consider it a strong scent. As for it being a sleeper, I guess that's left up to the interpretation of the wearer, but it's definitely not a sleeper around here.

Just my two cents...
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

L'homme de coeur by Divine, and

Atlantic by Strange & Invisble.

Both great scents that are there and yet not there.

Weird and fantastic.

Joe

La Base For Him

It's subtle elegance for those who want to smell good without being obvious.

Ferragamo's Subtil is just that--pleasant, subtle yet sophisticated and international. Creed's Hymalaya is another good choice. Happy flying!

Basenotes Institution

Nobodys mentioned the Jo Malone scents - light, not too intrusive & not too well known (however, they're a little pricey...)

I'd go with the subtler ones: Nutmeg & Ginger and/or Pomegranate Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by asleep
    La Base For Him

It's subtle elegance for those who want to smell good without being obvious.
    for an outrageous price . . .

Bvlgari Pour Homme...LOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGG it today!
    Can't miss no brainer for your needs.

Thumbs up Re: Looking for a "sleeper" scent......

JOOP NIGHTFLIGHT;damned good scent;a fresh and clean fougere!It's still sleeping;wake up this one and you will not regret that action!

Anton, Amsterdam