Code of Conduct

Default Your response to the scent of bodies themselves?

(When I did a search, I didn't find a thread that addresses this.)

I just read through the "fragrances chicks dig" thread, and found myself wondering whether there is a relationship between individual fragrance preferences (notes or categories), and responses to the scents of bodies themselves, beneath the fragrance, or the scent of unfragranced bodies.

E.g. do those who go in for the animalic and leathery also find that they are not put off--or perhaps even prefer--a partner who is at least occasionally a bit funky smelling? Or, do those who prefer very fresh, light scents, prefer a partner who always smells squeaky clean?

Example? I tend to be particularly drawn to fragrances with animalic notes, and those of of smoke, tobacco, chocolate, leather, roots, mosses, evergreen herbs; florals generally leave me cold, and I dislike amber and musk. I also haven't got a huge problem with my SO skipping a shower, forgetting deodourant for a day, etc. In fact, given a choice of his skipping a day, or using a scented deo., I'd prefer the former.

I admit to being far less liberal in my attitude toward others, and have never come across a fragrance that in any way modified my overall reaction to the man himself.

N.B. This is NOT intended to be restricted to to either gender or sexual preference, although the response to partners vs. others/strangers is one aspect I'm curious about.

If this question seems too personal to answer specifically, theories and empirically based observations would also be interesting to hear

P.S. (edited in) I hope this is the right forum for this? The "scents chicks dig" thread was here, but perhaps this belongs off-topic, after all?
    Last edited by mysteriousmongoose; 28th February 2007 at 08:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Your response to the scent of bodies themselves?

What a great question!!! If I really enjoyed my SO's natural scent, I'd definitely let her know. Of course if she wanted to wear frags I'd let her, but it wouldn't be a requirement. Especially if she had a heavenly natural scent! I think that would be such a turn on. And likewise, I'd like my partner to be honest about how I smell.

My ex's natural scent was really nice...except she insisted on covering it with heavy cigarette smoke .

Fragwise...I like both heavier muskier frags and light fresher frags. I guess that kind of goes with how I respond to natural bodies! Clean bodies are nice...but I would not reject someone who hasn't taken a shower for a bit if they smelled nice.
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 28th February 2007 at 09:23 PM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

That is a great question. I happen to love water and practically live in it. Take at least two baths a day. Love to sit in a Jacuzzi and many water sports. Unfortunately, I live in the desert right now, but where ever there is a pool, I'll find it. I will be getting a pool this summer. I love clean bodies and so the same with my husband. For me scent comes after real clean. I love Orientals most then Gourmands, some musks and chypres.
    Like florals on others, but not me.

I have no problem with my SO skipping a shower. He smells delicious, kinda spicy and musky, and I don't wash his pillow cases when he's away. I've had a couple of boyfriends that smelled kinda sour/bitter--for them, shower please. It just depends on the natural chemistry. For strangers or friends, once a week would be fine, as I just don't mind average body odor at all. Happy coincidence for my line of work, since lots of people aren't at their perky best before surgery!

It's funny, though, the SO is very self conscious of body odor. This last visit, he stopped at a truck stop and showered and shaved.

For me, I like florals and can't bear to be less than fresh so I'm in the two shower/bath a day group-just quick ones, and always a new scent afterward! It's not so my smell that gets me, it's a sticky feeling. In training, if we did a long or bad case in the night, I'd still shower right afterward--2am, 4am, not a problem.

Here's a thread relating to that.

Myself, I am definitely in favor of someone's own musk. My wife and I have a definite mutual admiration society in that regard, and I consider myself lucky, of course.

But of course, anyone can think of people whose smell could not only stop a clock, but maybe even a sundial.

I think a lot of it has to do with what we put in our bodies, and that we tend to have a nice smell until we ruin it with chemicals, or have a severe health problem.

To me, sweat can be earthy, sensuous, and sexy. But I know many will disagree. I've met people who will never eat garlic, for instance.

I knew a guy who didn't wear any fragrance and you could often smell his sweat. And he smelled GREAT. It was weird, because he wasn't that attractive in other ways...but his natural smell was amazing. That sounds pretty gross, I know, but I couldn't help it. Must be a hormonal thing.

My own boyfriend also has a great natural smell. Although I do like him to be clean, I prefer his sweat to his deodorant any day.

I can't tolerate bad breath (especially coming from a colleague). I also hate the stuffiness in the bus / train and BO coming from people who have no sense of personal hygiene. The smell of clean sweat could be nice, but L'eau de Armpits after a long day...

I have been told by my ex and other people that I have very good BO. I guess everyone has their own preferences. I have a habit of washing myself twice a day, particularly before I go to bed.

good question!

i never like the smell of dirty hair, on anyone. but BO can be a very pleasant smell, if the BO is on the right person. i didn't like my ex's BO, but i like my current boyf's BO! i guess that means we were meant to be. i find it to be almost an aphrodisiac? but he can get sweaty and smell "strong" and other people tell him he stinks. i always think, "yes, but he smells so good!"

BO is one of those smells, like gasoline, that is bad/good. borderline offensive or gross, but somehow really compelling.
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriousmongoose
    E.g. do those who go in for the animalic and leathery also find that they are not put off--or perhaps even prefer--a partner who is at least occasionally a bit funky smelling?
    It's true at least in my case. The natural smell of a man is one of the key factors: if I don't like his smell, no frag can change it, and if I do like his smell, well... no frag necessary but a good scent won't do any harm, either.

An ex-boyfriend used to bath three times a day and the day he hadn't the chance to do so was the day I went Since then I have been very wary of überhygienic people, I suspect they have something to hide.

Don't get me wrong, I do prefer people to take care of their personal hygiene but overdoing it is a put-off. I prefer a bit more relaxed approach.

(Viggo Mortensen has never looked as sexy as he did as Aragorn in LotR. )
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Clean is good, but over-clean, all the time doesn't seem natural.

If it's me who is sweating hard, I'll tend to shower afterward if I can, but mostly because I'll get a chill if I don't.

I think climat has a lot to do with BO as well. In more humid climbs odors are often accentuated, whereas in drier areas sometimes you hardly need to use a deodorant. Also, different times of the year affect my sense of smell too. During a hot, sticky summer I'll tend to want to shower more and appreciate someone smelling clean also. While in the bone-dry winter, skipping a day hardly seems a tragedy.

The bottom line for me- personal hygiene is important but a healthy, clean sweat never bothers me.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

I actually like the smell of my SO's armpits. He thinks I'm weird.
    Then again he's not a smelly fellow so it's more of a natural musk than an eye-watering stink. Bad BO is very unpleasant, I think we can all agree.

My DH smell is a heaven. I am sure it means that we were meant to be. His natural clean smell is a fetish to me, inhalating I seem to be under drug´s influence. It is evolutionary sign of attractiveness and the sign that we belong each to other and match well from reproductive point of view, despite of not having any children, since we are already over the top :-)

Personally speaking - and I live with three men (hubbie and two adult sons)
    I like my men to smell clean and sweat-free.
    Hubbie is training for the London Marathon at the moment and does not
    smell that good after a 10k run, believe me!!
    After his shower is another story...

I accidentally walked into the men's locker room (after hours, nobody was there, I swear) and I thought it smelled...
    This is embarassing...
    I thought it smelled, GREAT.
    Lots of sweat and Axe, I think.
    Bathrooms--not good. Just the locker area.
    One time, I was dancing with this guy on a hot summer night, and he had a big, big, case of B.O. as in peppery, cuminy, strong, dirty sweat.
    O.K. I fell in love with him.

my mom married my father even though his BO was SOOO bad that after he put his arm around her, she could smell the BO in her own hair. GROSS. I guess smell isn't that important.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare
    I knew a guy who didn't wear any fragrance and you could often smell his sweat. And he smelled GREAT. It was weird, because he wasn't that attractive in other ways...but his natural smell was amazing. That sounds pretty gross, I know, but I couldn't help it. Must be a hormonal thing.

My own boyfriend also has a great natural smell. Although I do like him to be clean, I prefer his sweat to his deodorant any day.
    No need to be embarrassed... I think there's something to that scientifically!

There are many factors that attract people to each other, and I think that "smell compatibility" is an important one, although it may not be conscious to many people. More conscious to us BN'ers, of course.

In GMan's case, there must have been enough other attractions and compatibilities to override the smell problem.

I'd like to add that I'll bet everyone here has BO that smells excellent! :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by G Man
    my mom married my father even though his BO was SOOO bad that after he put his arm around her, she could smell the BO in her own hair. GROSS. I guess smell isn't that important.
    Eeagad!

One thing about my SO is he suffered a severe burn when younger and was in ICU for three months for skin grafts to both arms and left leg. Now he never uses soap--he either has some gentle body wash or uses shampoo so his skin is never 'stripped' of natural oils. Certainly nothing so harsh as a deodorant soap has touched him in ten years! Maybe that has something to do with it.

Smile Re: Your response to the scent of bodies themselves?

As far as myself goes, my body chemistry has changed as I've gotten older, when I was younger, I never needed deodorant, now I do. I tend to have a musky scent, which to others may be good, but not to me. I do not feel right until I wear fragrance. As far as men go, most smell good right out of a shower, but for the most part, I like a fragrance on a man. Not into natural body odors, unless they are the exception to the rule.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Your response to the scent of bodies themselves?

Nasty body odors, ones that most people do not like, seem to come from gasses and other waste products of bacteria acting on our sweat etc., such as the unmistakable 3-methyl-2-hexenoic acid ("Wow! That's BO!") and not directly from the natural secretions we all create.

Nature intended some of these to be sexual attractants. Of course certain idiosyncratic odors and odors related to food or drink we have taken in, that we seem to exude on occasion, will be rather offensive to some and yet surprisingly alluring to others. Go figure..

That's why Mother Nature left us with hair in some places, whilst removing it from mostly everywhere else! (To trap the pheromones, that is...but I think you got that).

Interestingly, the good old English passtime of Morris dancing has its roots in a fertility rite. One part of the dance involves sticking a handkerchief under your arm and then waving it around. This, in fact, was originally to disperse the manly musk and thus attract a lady!

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet
    Interestingly, the good old English passtime of Morris dancing has its roots in a fertility rite. One part of the dance involves sticking a handkerchief under your arm and then waving it around. This, in fact, was originally to disperse the manly musk and thus attract a lady!
    I've heard about that, and it came to mind when I read this thread, thanks for bringing it up!
    I think it's part of country dancing rituals in some other countries, too.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I read an article in a scientific journal, which discussed the role of male pheremones as sexual attractants in a very specific way.
    Evidently (this is the roughly recollected outline), the researchers collected a sample of men and a sample of women. The men each donned a nice fresh cotton t-shirt, and wore it for a day. The women then sniffed the t-shirts and identified those they found most attractive smelling.
    When the results were examined, it was found that women's choices of most attractive scent belonged, overwhelmingly, to men who had little in common with them genetically, suggesting that not only are male pheremones supposed to attract, but to specificallly attract women in a way that stirs the gene pool and keeps it nice and broad.

I prefer the natural smell of my man's skin hands down. (pun intended if you like)
    I love how many here called the scent of their lover to be heaven. I think that is so aptly put.
    furthermore, I love the way my children smell, and they often refer happily to "Mommy Smell" when we have our hugs and snuggles.

Viva La Nose!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

I will get on my 'soap box' here and in my opinion, BO in a public venue is not acceptable. Being unwashed is not an expression of individuality or an effective anti-estasblishment protest, it's just rude and lazy. I was at a fund raiser recently packed with aged hippies some of whom were living in the past as slovenly teenagers. PHEWEE!! I had to hold my breath, it was that bad. How can people stand themselves like that? I swear, some people don't ever wash their clothes either.

If people are afraid of dry skin, there are mild soaps and I wish men were not lotion-phobic. A great un-scented lotion I've found is Aveno. It's oatmeal based not lanolin so it isn't heavy and pore clogging. Highly recommened for after shower, before a fantastic cologne. I daresay no one is turned on by dry flakey scales. If you want to touch a SO, take care of your hands!