Code of Conduct

Wink What fragrance smells "magical" to you

Is there a fragrance that you have experienced, that would transport you to a magical land, that you either read about in a fairytale, or just in your most vivid imagination? Something that smells as close to heavenly, you couldn't imagine being better. Have you found it? I haven't found that yet, still looking, and want it. Don't laugh, but when FENDI first came out, and I took my first whiff, it almost took me there. Oh, the power of scent...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What fragrance smells "magical" to you

The Unicorn Spell by Les Nez has a magical quality about it. Crisp earthy notes and chilled violets take me to the Snow Queen's palace in my imagination. A highly evocative scent. Demeter Thunderstorm has always seemed magical because it seems so natural, a fabulous illusion.
    Last edited by chaelaran1008; 4th March 2007 at 09:45 PM.

I think the fragrance oil pikake (Hawaiian jasmine) is "magical"...

Post Thanks / Like

I live in rural Alaska where it stays cold all year. Last summer we had a "heat wave" where it was sunny every day for a week and all the elders were kvetching that it was "too hot, too sunny!" I had to laugh, since I was born and raised in Denver where we have gorgeous sunshine 300 days a year!

Anyway...because I live in such a cold climate, I'm a huuuuuge fan of really rich, heavy oriental fragrances. I just recently started getting into florals. It's a huge step for me because I seem to hate most florals!

Annick Goutal's Songes is magical for me. It's just heavenly. Also in the "magical" category is Montale's Intense Tiare. Just tropical bliss. I love them!

Caron's NARCISSE BLANC makes me want to be a garden fairie!

Talking Re: What fragrance smells "magical" to you

Nirmala brings me to Goddess Land and I'm the Goddess.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly Dagger
    Is there a fragrance that you have experienced, that would transport you to a magical land, that you either read about in a fairytale, or just in your most vivid imagination?
    Dont most serge lutens frags promise that ?
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Dont most serge lutens frags promise that ?
    Lutens isn't the only perfurmer to use that kind of descriptive advertising. But now that you mention it, yes - I do consider Lutens to have a magical quality in that they are so expressive, rich, and multifaceted.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    Lutens isn't the only perfurmer to use that kind of descriptive advertising. But now that you mention it, yes - I do consider Lutens to have a magical quality in that they are so expressive, rich, and multifaceted.
    Un Santal de Mysore is instant magic for me...
    And it was instant love, and infatuation.
    I'd like to grow old with it, lol.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Eau des Mervielles takes me to a magical beach with one sniff. I'm transported to this deserted white sand beach with just my special guy ... the water tickles our toes, the sun gently kisses our bodies ... maybe not heaven, but close

L de Lolita is another magical scent for me, this time I'm in a mermaid fantasy ... silly, huh?

And I agree about many of the Lutens being magical ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Harry Potter EDT . Seriously, it smells like how I think the prefect's bath bubbles would actually smell like.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I get into lotsa trouble when I start assigning magic and mystery to scents...$$$$ trouble, yes. But even more importantly, I set myself up for a big letdown.

Perhaps it's the "magic" that makes Lutens so hard for me to appreciate...I only own Ambre Sultan, but I have tried many and maybe I'm waiting for something to happen or to "feel" something?

The fragrances that have anything akin to a "magical" quality for me are those that help me remember special moments or remind me of special people in my life. I can't smell Miss Dior without thinking of my grandmother. Miss Dior is like a ghost or a spirit. It's something I will wear or at least sniff if I need "intestinal fortitude" or the feeling that there is "someone to watch over me".

Memories can be magic?

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline
    I get into lotsa trouble when I start assigning magic and mystery to scents...$$$$ trouble, yes. But even more importantly, I set myself up for a big letdown.

Perhaps it's the "magic" that makes Lutens so hard for me to appreciate...I only own Ambre Sultan, but I have tried many and maybe I'm waiting for something to happen or to "feel" something?

The fragrances that have anything akin to a "magical" quality for me are those that help me remember special moments or remind me of special people in my life. I can't smell Miss Dior without thinking of my grandmother. Miss Dior is like a ghost or a spirit. It's something I will wear or at least sniff if I need "intestinal fortitude" or the feeling that there is "someone to watch over me".

Memories can be magic?
    How lovely is that? Yes, and you probably do have her watching over you. Good memories give us strength & can be magical in reliving them again in our minds eye. Fragrance & music does that for me. It reminds me of certain people & the time that was spent with them. Thank you for your reply.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu
    Eau des Mervielles takes me to a magical beach with one sniff. I'm transported to this deserted white sand beach with just my special guy ... the water tickles our toes, the sun gently kisses our bodies ... maybe not heaven, but close

A nice visual, anything that can temporarily take you away from the day to day grind, is worth sniffing in my book.

L de Lolita is another magical scent for me, this time I'm in a mermaid fantasy ... silly, huh?

No, it isn't silly if it makes you feel peaceful, we all need some kind of escape from all harsh reality.

And I agree about many of the Lutens being magical ...
    I haven't really taken the time to smell most of the Lutens, only a couple, and from what I've experienced, they are definitely unique.
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 5th March 2007 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with rtamara41 that Nirmala is the one that transports me
    to another realm. Definite Goddess territory. I do believe that you and I
    are scent twins dear girl!!

I remember when I smelled Mitsouko for the first time It was and still is magical to me!

I also feel the same way about L and Chergui!
    “I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.”-Anais Nin

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the first time I smelled Mitsouko parfum...That was really magic to me!I loved it,but used to have really negative feelings baout the edt.So that was really strange:P Another scent that immediately works like magic on the emotional level is L'eau D'issey It used to be the signature of a dear friend of mine who unfortunately died only 17 years old So even today.8 years later I still can't stand to smell that scent, cause it reminds me too much of her.

I also find Mitsouko magical. I get a lot of visual impressions from it. I don't wear it often, don't even like it that much, but it has this strange "haunting" effect.

Lolita Lempicka is also magical for me. It makes me feel very enchanted black forest.

Post Thanks / Like

"Magic" is in the soul of the imaginer which for this Gemini changes from moment! :bounce:

To go mystical/magic, spirit rising to the cosmos - Avignon. To go tropical, black shiny beach with pale aqua waves, palm trees, pool boys (!!) - Vanille Abricot (thanks Danae! :wave For a stroll down Bou' San' Jacques - Rive Gauche. Wearing Gaultier and sinking into the brocade and silken cushions of a private gaming club in Deauville - Habanita.

To put on my clothes now and head out to Tai Chi class - Mitsouko!!! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

The only time I remember feeling that way about a fragrance was the first time I smelled Jovan Musk. I was in my early teens and had never smelled anything quite like it before - the musky, womanly fragrance transported me to a fantasy world where I was the queen of feminine power and seduction... something like the heroine in She by Rider Haggard!

Post Thanks / Like

L'Ombre dans L'Eau never fails to take me to a garden in the rain.

Opium smells like Indochine as presented in the movie of the same name.

Le Baiser Du Dragon. I have not smelled anything else like it. I love it and it does seem to change on the wearer.

I find most of the Caron's magical, but the ultimate for me is Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles, which invokes beautiful Arabian nights, with miles of white hot sand and Ali Baba with all 40 of his thieves! Sweet, seductive and most certainly magical!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MyQueen makes me think of being wrapped in furs and riding a sleigh through snowy landscapes - very Narnia.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: What fragrance smells "magical" to you

Caron Parfum Sacre to me is hauntingly beautiful. I just used the last of my Urn sample and I am in withdrawls!
    And even though I don't wear it myself - on the right woman - Coco Chanel has a real mystic 'White Witch' quality. It is a lovely scent when you are given a nice hug - envelops you in a warm, chocolatey spicy scent.
    Lauder's Beyond Paradise has a real desert island - Amazon woman scent to it as well, but only when applied with a light hand

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arhianrad
    L'Ombre dans L'Eau never fails to take me to a garden in the rain.

Opium smells like Indochine as presented in the movie of the same name.
    I dug that movie, too! But my take on a magical place: Jolie Madame makes me feel like a (pre-Rainier) Grace Kelly - soignee, cool, beautifully dressed.
    This is quite a feat for a brunette with curly hair who lives in jeans and sweats!

Smile Re: What fragrance smells "magical" to you

Quote Originally Posted by Gumoosh
    Caron Parfum Sacre to me is hauntingly beautiful. I just used the last of my Urn sample and I am in withdrawls!
    And even though I don't wear it myself - on the right woman - Coco Chanel has a real mystic 'White Witch' quality. It is a lovely scent when you are given a nice hug - envelops you in a warm, chocolatey spicy scent.
    Lauder's Beyond Paradise has a real desert island - Amazon woman scent to it as well, but only when applied with a light hand
    I bought a bottle of Parfum Sacre about 3 months ago, and I still haven't worn it yet, outside my house. It indeed is different, and I know alot of people like it, but for some reason, I can't get myself to go with it on. It seems like the kind of scent that would receive negative response, because it's so unusual, and I don't mind getting attention with my scent, but not if it's going to disturb or offend someone else. Scent can do that. I don't mind offended someone if they mess with me...lol...but I don't want to nauseate someone else. I'm glad you enjoy it & it makes you feel magical, I would like to find that special one too.

I wrote this in my review of it, but Opone does something transcendent to me. I can't figure it out, because it's not *beautiful* or feminine, but it transports me to the ship in the fragrance's tag line. I wish I knew what was in this fragrance that does it... it actually haunts me a bit, like it may be a past life thing or... something.
    It's so strong, I researched Opone and found it was an old trading center on the Somalian coast, which shocked me because I had just seen a travel documentary about the Gulf of Aden, and this entire coastal area, and found some of the landscapes strangely familiar, almost comforting, homey, pleasant (and we're talking desert areas this Alaska girl would never consider pleasant). I know this sounds quite strange, but... there it is.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

The first scent that came to my mind is 'The Dreamer' by Versace

Talking Re: What fragrance smells "magical" to you

Hi I have to say that Hermes Ambre Narguile is like no other to me. And I have a lot of fragrances. I wore it last week to the hospital when dh had surgery and felt better and got so many compliments, it is such a special fragrance and is loved by many. I am sure there are many others, love that one so much.

great thread.
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, this one seems obvious because of the name - Hanae Mori Magical Moon. Of all my collection this is the only one I feel is truly 'magical'. When wearing it I truly feel transported to a tropical paradise - a gorgeous, clean and uninhabited beach, stretching on and on in the night. It's warm, but the night has brought a cool breeze as my partner and I take a romantic stroll down this breathtaking beach with its soft sand. The moon and stars seem larger than life and brighter than ever before, bathing the whole area in their milky white light.

Diorama. In there is a whole world waiting to appear before your mind's eye. :-)

Wow !

To be honest, there are several.

One of my best experiences was with Violetta from Penhaligon's. We went for a walk in the woods in winter, it had snowed all night, all the noises were softened, snow cristals were sparkling in the sun and the sky was bright and blue.

Sometimes, a bird left a branch and all this powder snow was falling down on us like sequins, this was really magical.

We ended up lying in the snow making angel shapes with our bodies and laughing like kids.
    Last edited by Night; 9th August 2008 at 09:32 AM.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Shalimar is like an ancient mythology - and it's also my mother (which is both good and bad; I love this scent, but can't wear it because it belongs to her!).

Ambre Sultan is like the Thousand and One nights, a handsome prince, opulent fabrics and a magical intimate moment.

Jardins de Bagatelle is like a love potion - it makes you feel drunk and happy with its scent and evokes the feeling of an enchanted garden. Too much and you might fall over with the spell though! Just like in fairy tales.

Mandragore by Annick Goutal makes you feel like a faerie princess surrounded by mysterious herbs and vegetation, with fauns and little gnomes frolicking around you.

There are five:

The original Femme by Edmond Roudnitska is a magic journey of my past

Michel Roudnitska 's Bois de Paradis is a whiff of the garden of Eden and the magic of my present

A new fragrance yet to be released by K Mihov is the magic of niche perfumery's future.

Black magic is Serge Lutens Douce Amere- the absinthe weaves a spell that blurs reality

Andy Tauer's Reverie au Jardin is white magic that opens my heart like a flower

Post Thanks / Like

This is terrible, not because I can't think of anything, but because I am thinking of too many scents!
    My latest love is Chanel Cormandel.

Post Thanks / Like

I find this thread fascinating but hard to answer. At different times through life, different perfumes have been magical.

I think right now, it would probably be Samsara which makes me feel like a beautiful princess in a gorgeously appointed tent in the middle of a desert.

I remember years ago, Dune used to transport me to a field with tall grass and beautiful flowers on a sunny but not too warm day. I probably need to buy this perfume again as it has been years since I wore it.

I second Shalimar and would add Alien to the list--there is a strange, luminous quality to the development of that fragrance on the skin, distinctive in a darkly beautiful way.

Lovely thread

A 'magical' scent for me would probably be something extremely light and sparkling, rather than dark, exotic and mysterious ... by that, I'd probably go for something like Chanel's Cristalle.

It goes on 'silvery' with me, and stays that way a long while. It is luminescent and radiant with extraordinary sillage ... trails after me like fairy dust!

Well, I live in a country with a lot of cold weather. I guess thats why my magical scents are dark, exotic and mysterious.

SL Ambre Sultan
    Shalimar
    Sacrebleu
    Sacre

Mmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

The most magical scent I own is CdG Avignon.
    I have visions of a medieval church at night and green fields outside
    I am immediately transported to the 14th cenntury
    Very medieval in a good way.

Bois de Violet transports me to an enchanted forest in the spring, running from satyrs.

Guerlain's L'Instant is like having a shady fairy tea party with sweet honey cakes served in flowers.

Eden Botanicals Amber Royal is my gentle, deep intuitive scent.

Snake Oil is my dark and dirty voodoo go to...
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Vintage Mitsouko, Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue
    Vintage Nuit de Noel
    Apres L'Ondee
    Ambre Sultan
    Iris Silver Mist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vezerne View Post
    I dug that movie, too! But my take on a magical place: Jolie Madame makes me feel like a (pre-Rainier) Grace Kelly - soignee, cool, beautifully dressed.
    This is quite a feat for a brunette with curly hair who lives in jeans and sweats!
    LOL. Amoureuse makes me feel like a blond bombshell (think Jean Harlow). I too am brunette. And I'm rarely ever bombshell-ish.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    Guerlain's L'Instant is like having a shady fairy tea party with sweet honey cakes served in flowers.
    How delightful! I'll think of your lovely imagery next time I wear L'instant

CHAMPAGNE d'Yves Saint Laurent.

Post Thanks / Like

Serge Lutens Douce Amere--like being in one of those very old black-and-white films with huge glorious sets and silk gowns on all the actresses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theda_Bara
    Ormonde Jayne Woman--This is pure fairytale, my absolute favorite scent. It smells like nothing else I've ever smelled in my life; I have no reference points for this one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howl%27..._Castle_(film)
    Last edited by Onychophora; 11th August 2008 at 05:10 PM.